Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16s range?

Reaction score
Hello fellow droners, I have a question.. What kind of range are you getting from your st16s with your typhoon h plus? Well with mine Im getting only 200ft range out and 60ft up with only 2 bars left on my indicator and that's with a range extender from vertigo is this good or bad? How are some of these guys with these videos flying there h+ going for at least a couple of miles? Maybe more..

I can fly mine as far as 2500’ at 300’ altitude, but that’s as far as I can see it. It may go farther, I haven’t tried. At that distance it’s just a teeny little dot that is at the limits of my eyesight. I use a 4Hawks not for range, but solid signal in wi-fi congested areas. 99.99% of my flying is within 1500’.....even when I’m flying for fun.

Your reported range is certainly on the low side. You should be seeing much, much better than that.....however, there are many factors to consider.....same result with stock antennas?

Flying your drone beyond your ability to see it is a big no-no, unless you have an FAA 107.31 wavier. I don’t believe for a second anyone who claims they can see their drone 2 miles away. Discussing flights where you do this or asking advice how to do this will meet some pretty strong reactions from responsible drone operators and Pilots.

Reactions: AJan and KellyR
Thanks for your response, as far as me flying my drone I can always see it as you say it does get smaller. Now for the videos that I've seen on YouTube of flights it just seems as if there flying for ever. And Yes I've got even worse signals with stock antennas

And for the record I don't want to fly my drone where I can't see it I'm too afraid of losing it I never said I wanted to fly it for miles away I simply want better results in my reception so I don't lose it. Thank you

Reactions: Steve Carr
It's difficult to answer your question because there are so many variables.
If you are using EU firmware the camera power is more limited than it is with US firmware.
The location makes a difference as well. Urban or rural locations can be very different for wifi video transmission.
Which antenna did you get as a replacement?

I haven’t had this issue, but maybe the cables aren’t seating properly? There was a post about removing a washer or something that made the cables seat fully.....fixed the issue for another guy. Someone who knows should pop in and describe this plus other solutions.

Right, on some controllers there isn't enough threads sticking out of the center coax connector. Removing the washer allows just a bit more threads which may help.
However, you said the range was bad with the original antennas. It's possible there is a different problem. I suggest flying again and go out to 200' and then slowly turn the ST16 right or left while watching the wifi bars. See if it drops when turning to the side.

Also, try loosing the center coax connector and see if the bars drop.

I found it, it says to remove the washer on the St16 connector if it has a short distance as far as thread showing so the 4 hawks connection can tighten all the way
I hope that helps, but it doesn't explain the short distance you got with the OEM antenna.

I agree, I'm gonna try and go to a different area tomorrow and fly with both antennas and see what happens. Does calibration of the compus have affect on this issue?

I agree, I'm gonna try and go to a different area tomorrow and fly with both antennas and see what happens. Does calibration of the compus have affect on this issue?
Nope. Should have no effect on the video signal.

Ok I was gonna re calibrate but I'll try a different location and see what happens thanks and I'll post updated after I fly again

Ok I was gonna re calibrate but I'll try a different location and see what happens thanks and I'll post updated after I fly again
Please do so. Always like to hear the results as that helps us all.

You should be able to tell if the antenna is receiving the signal by watching the wifi bars while unscrewing the center connector. If the bars drop then the antenna is getting the signal.

I know this doesn't help with your issue, but just as a reference, I have flown my H Plus over 4,000ft away at 400AGL, with the stock patch antenna. That's where I started losing sight and hit the home button. It still had a good, clear connection.

• Wow
Reactions: KellyR
Ive been out 3600ft at 45ft up over a lake. Worked like a dream. everything was stock.

Reactions: KellyR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval