Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16s range?

I did get a message twice this morning that I never seen before and it said, (check for geomagnetic interference) can someone chime in on this? I didn't see any changes in flight or anything for that matter but I want to know what it means.
I often get those warnings prior to takeoff or close to the ground. I refer to it as ground effect because there is so much iron ore in the ground here. At altitudes above 15-20' they go away. It's always possible there is underground wire or piping that affect the launch area or even old concrete foundations buried beneath the surface.

Reactions: Snechovski
Regarding some of those 4,000’ and longer claims, we might want to consider some of them are just a reformatted version of the old “mine’s bigger” discussion.

If it gets the job done and makes you happy, what else matters?

Reactions: Phaedrus
Patr, that is exactly the conclusion I came to agree with! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji3166][emoji3166]

I'm not going to argue with anyone how far I can see my drone. I couldn't care any less about what you think. I don't have time to get in a pissing match with a bunch of old guys with poor vision on the internet. I have NEVER lost sight of it, and never will. My 107 means way too much to me. I wanted to test out my patch antenna over a very large farm on a cloud-free day, and just over 4,000 ft is where I could barely see it anymore. That's when I brought it home. End of discussion. Seems like the same 2-3 people on this forum like to talk down to a lot of other people. I guess the internet is where they feel comfortable throwing their chests out. Doesn't impress me.

I'm not going to argue with anyone how far I can see my drone. I couldn't care any less about what you think. I don't have time to get in a pissing match with a bunch of old guys with poor vision on the internet. I have NEVER lost sight of it, and never will. My 107 means way too much to me. I wanted to test out my patch antenna over a very large farm on a cloud-free day, and just over 4,000 ft is where I could barely see it anymore. That's when I brought it home. End of discussion. Seems like the same 2-3 people on this forum like to talk down to a lot of other people. I guess the internet is where they feel comfortable throwing their chests out. Doesn't impress me.

some old guys expressing concerns over risky / illegal without certification, or those act that would reflect badly on all ,.. flying suggestions, may come agoss as angry or jealous to some.. it is just a mnority doing so..but they usually have issues that have nothing to do with flying a mutirotor craft..,and we can see such stuff, spilling over into all else..

1000’ is not a problem, but it does need to be above the distant horizon so I can pick it out against the sky. 2500’ is my personal distance....1000’ is only halfway, or a bit more, across one of the parks I fly at. A bigger drone, like a Tornado 920....I might be able to see a little more than 2500’.....I don’t have one so I can’t say for sure. 1300’ is only a 1/4 mile......I bet lots of pilots have flown that distance and remained in VLOS.

BTW.....my Mavic Air.....yeah, 1000’ is pushing it, if at all. I can lose that little bugger even 500’ away.

BTW.....my Mavic Air.....yeah, 1000’ is pushing it, if at all. I can lose that little bugger even 500’ away.

But you can fly it 6 miles away according to DJI. But then if you want to fly in any of their geofenced areas, despite having FAA authorization, you must ask for permission. But they still allow well BVLOS ops as a selling point.

A 920 can be seen well enough to operate without having to use the camera view a little over 2000’. Bear in mind a 920 is ~1.76x larger than an H Plus or 520. Having built and flown 1200mm multirotors I know they can be seen and flown without need of the camera view out to 2500-2700’. A 14’ (4267mm) diameter multirotor becomes unmanageable without needing the camera or autopilot a little over a mile. Note I mention not using the camera or autopilot above. It’s all manual control.

For as long as I can remember one of the most common questions asked by visitors to RC flying fields has been “ How far away can you fly it?” Other common questions are how high, how fast, and how much but those aren’t relevant for now. The answer to the “how far” question has always been “As far as I can see it.” Between then and now nothing has changed. With model airplanes that distance has been somewhat farther than can be done with a multirotor due to aircraft design. An airplane has distinctions that permit orientation much further away. Long wings in front, small wings in back, a vertical rudder, all assist maintaining direction and orientation. Fixed wing provides a defined front, back, and vertical orientation that a multirotor does not. But even they have visual distance limits controlled by size and perspective. The larger they are the better they can be seen as distance increases. A 10’ wing span airplane cannot be seen well enough visually at 1 mile to effectively control it even with 20-15 visual acuity. I use those numbers because I have that vision along with four 10’+ model airplanes and can use actual experience to make reference.

Model aviation shares much with full scale aviation. Flight and route planning, obstruction clearance, safe operating altitude among them. Flight planning includes allowances for “what if” situations. What if the engines fail? What if the electrical system fails? What if the fuel supply becomes too low?

As multirotor operators we need to add; What if the autopilot fails? What if the camera fails? What if RTH fails to function? What if radio or video signal attenuated or experiences interference? Will I be able to see it well enough to fly it manually? Is it high enough to maintain clear radio signal? We should never be 100% dependent on automated systems to effectively fly the aircraft as automated systems can and do fail. It’s for that reason they still have pilots on commercial airliners. People have already died because they depended on automated systems in expensive cars, not to mention private and commercial aircraft.

There’s a lot to learn with aviation related activities to do them safely. Safety, both for ourselves and others, is the foundation of model aviation. Any time we cannot assure the safety of people uninvolved or unaware of our modeling activities we are acting irresponsibly and putting them at unnecessary risk. If what we do as individuals could only effect us as individuals we could do whatever we wanted to but that’s not how it usually works. What we do has the potential to effect a great many people, including the entire population of our hobby, so we must shift our thoughts from what I can or want to do to what can I safely do? How will I be able to mitigate a situation if and when something happens? We must employ mature thought processes, not impulsive ones.

Having been involved in model aviation, commercial/military UAV’s, manned aviation, and multirotors for 48 years I still don’t know everything yet and learn something new every day, but during the entire time I’ve been involved with that stuff safety, both for myself and for others, has been a mandatory part of all of them.

Last edited:
Well put patr, I'll tell you something to reflect on a couple of things you said one being, you learn something every day. And something I swear and live by is, listen to your elders wither it's family, friends or simply a stranger. Getting back on topic here, it's interesting what responses we're made when I started this thread and the biggest reason I did start it was because I thought I had a problem with my bird. The beauty of it all is that not only did I figure out what was wrong with my drone with the help of all you fine people but the most important part,, SAFETY FIRST!!.. It's like the bumper sticker, please watch for motorcycles people see it but don't take it serious well most people. Anyway, hopefully we all take something from this post and other post when it comes to safety. Thanks again everyone for the help..

Adding on to what Pat wrote, I can track a 4-meter span glider at distances approaching 4,000 feet. But I really cannot see my H+ out past ~2,500 feet.

The gliders have very thin profiles and small diameter cross-section fuselage. And at that distance it is a "blink and you'll lose it". That's why when flying like that we almost always have a timer/VO next to us. Even still, I prefer to stay within about 2,500 feet with the gliders, and they can still be tricky at that distance.

Pat makes another very good point. Whenever I am flying a MR my over riding thought is "What's the worst that can happen right now". If the answer to that is anything other than it falls harmlessly from the sky I re-evaluate my flight.

Reactions: Snechovski
I went out to my uncles farm last night specifically to run a test on my spare ground station I just got back from KAV.

At 400' AGL, everything was fine till 2500', then the video dropped and telemetry lagged badly, still had full control of the drone.

At 2800' telemetry froze, and I'd say within 200' of that, ground station lost the drone and I flipped the RTH on. My uncle was following on his quad along the pasture road, all I could see was the ARC II strobe at that point.

It then hovered for about 10 seconds, long enough to make me nervous, according to my uncle, it did a quick 180 and shoot off back towards me, reconnected at about 2200' and telemetry said it was chugging along at 30mph back to me, landed safely at 14.9 vdc.

Pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing. Not much point in going any further with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital