Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Statement from a dealer about the Typhoon H

Reaction score
Quoting from another forum...

This is from a distributor and he feels the same way I do about the H, IT CAN BE BETTER

"This was posted on a Typhoon H Facebook page

I'm a YUNEEC dealer based in Ireland.

I've been following the progress and advising on development of the TYPHOON H.

Ryan Kephart YUNEEC USA is currently trying to assist me with resolving the issue of switching between EU and International Firmware. They intend to reconfigure the bootloader protocols.

This will also resolve the annoying connectivity issues experienced by EU users.

There is an upgrade coming called the ST16+ with 2x external 2.4gHz antennas. Possibly also an internal patch antenna to replace the secondary internal 5.8gHz whip antenna.

Don't worry because existing ST16 radios are easily modified to the new configuration at low hardware cost.

There is also a plan to revert back to the original 98deg lens tested for the CGO3+ camera.

Better/sharper focus and no soft edges, I'm not sure why they opted for the 115deg lens.

Again the modification for existing cameras is quite easy although a little expensive.

I'm working with ITELITE to develop or actually reconfigure the range booster for the ST10+ to work on the ST16.

It already has 2x 2.4gHz ports & 1x 5.8gHz port. Only the wrong way round at the moment for the new ST16+.

Good news from Germany, there is already an antiglare screen protector for the ST24 which works on the ST16 but it's a bit too small as the screens are slightly different.

The company has already been advised of the size difference for future manufacturing.

There is an external 2.4gHz antenna kit available for the drone itself. It's a revised version of The FPV Guy's mod.

Look for it from Carolina Drones. Frank and I have already sourced the hardware. Much neater 2.75cm stubby antennas with a 2dbi gain. The 15cm 5dbi antennas Bo used are too long and a 5dbi gain is unnecessary.

Frank will be the first to have the new ITELITE antenna, the external 2.4gHz antenna kit for the H and he's already got the replacement 98deg lens for the camera.

Be on the lookout soon for a balance charger lead for the H's battery pack.

Anyone needing advice, information on product availability and sourcing, modification can feel free to contact me for information.

Most people are happy with the H; I'm dead set on improving it."

And the actual dealer response...

First off Hi to Frank from Carolina Dronz, the forum sponsor, a great guy and quickly becoming a ''long distance'' friend.

We are currently ''working together'' on developing some new and useful products for the Typhoon H.

Frank has developed a balance charging lead for the H battery pack which will allow charging on a conventional balance charger cutting charging time almost in half.

At $20.00USD from Frank or €20.00 from Typhoon H EU it is a very well priced and useful item.

The original charger is SLOW [Yuneec designed it that way for safety] & EXPENSIVE [The're :censored: crazy but no worse than Horizon or DJI].

Frank's product is constructed of moulded plastic, high quality components and professionally engineered; other eBay sellers are offering 3D printed ''prototypes'' for $50.00+. I ''hijacked'' a photo of a well made example and posted it on my Facebook page.

Frank's product is superior, of high quality and very good value for money and yes...

Before you say it; I AM PROMOTING FRANK AND CAROLINA DRONEZ!

Why?

Well because he is genuine ''nice guy'' and will go out of his way to help; he did it for me as a total stranger who never bought a thing from him and had no intention to buy anything.

I made it clear I was a small dealer on the other side of the Atlantic and just wanted to ''pick his brain'' for information.

He helped and advised me without hesitation.

SO BUY FROM FRANK, HE'S GOING TO SEE YOU'RE DONE RIGHT!

PS. Frank I expect some free :censored: for this promotion!

Enough *** licking and promoting of forum sponsors; let's move on to the meat and bones...

So it appears the quotation above I'm responding to was ''hijacked'' and posted here somewhat out of context.

I'm happy to be quoted and have no objection to the gentleman's observations but...

I am a dealer, I have been ''working with'' Yuneec to improve some issues and yes I am somewhat ''frustrated and unhappy'' though...

Let me be clear in saying the Yuneec Typhoon H is a great product but like every other product it has it's flaws. I repair mobile phones and I hate Apple but love Samsung. I find I Phones are good paperweights and fashion accessories.

I however refuse to be without my Note IV, it's a lap-top in my pocket. The point is we all have our preferences and so we choose the product that is best suited to our needs.

There is no ''best''; there's only preference and suitability to requirement. So only an idiot compares an I Phone to a Samsung Galaxy or a DJI to a Yuneec. Which is better the Mitsubishi Evolution or the Subaru Imprezza? Both champions of WRC, both virtually indestructible and uncrashable street legal ''rally'' cars!

So I'd buy a Blade Chroma before a Typhoon Q500, I'd choose a Typhoon H over an Inspire and to **** with I Phones and Subaru; give me a Samsung and a Mitsubishi and yes I prefer brunettes with sallow skin to lilly white blondes.

I hope you all get the point here; choice, preference, suitability to need, value for money and performance. So without DJI the TyphoonH wouldn't exist, without the Evolution we'd never have the Imprezza.

People should stop being stupid enough to think that ''this is the best''. We're all making big corporations rich with this obsessive way of thinking.

Think more about ''what is best'' for my needs and budget? Stop buying :censored: you don't need and make good use of what you already have!

So what's my opinion of the H? Simple; best bang for the buck, full stop! I think people have the right to complain and criticise but in a constructive manner conducive to improvement.

Look out for the ability to switch between EU and Int. Firmware.

Look out for improved camera connection/reconnection times.

Look out for it; Ryan Kephart of Yuneec USA took all my criticisms and promised to address them and I believe he will!

Yuneec have been very helpful to me long before I ever became a dealer and Ryan gave me many hours [Yes hours] of his time on the phone.

1. I didn't like the original landing gear design; Yuneec changed it!

Stance widened and Skids lengthened with more Robust servos [Compare old/new photos]

2. I thought carbon-fibre material for the landing gear and motor booms was potentially ''problematic''; Yuneec addressed it! Unidirectional carbon weave, light, strong but designed to Snap/Break in a crash or hard landing so the aircraft's sensitive electronics and mainframe components are not destroyed.

[The landing gear and motor booms are like Crumple Zones on a modern car]

YUNEEC TYPHOON H

1. Quality Build

2. Forefront Technological Capability

3. All-Inclusive

5. Excellent Value for Money

6. Strong Customer Support

7. Modular/Upgradable/Future-Proof

8. Problems? Yes!

9. Perfect? No!

10. A Good Product? **** YES!

YOU DON'T LIKE IT WELL BUY A DJI IT'S A FREE WORLD!

[THEY DROPPED THE PRICE ON THE INSPIRE BY $1000.00USD WHEN THE H LAUNCHED]

What do people expect for €1300.00? A space shuttle? Was the Inspire ever worth the price tag? NO!

Is it ''better''? No it's a ''different animal''. Do I want one? No. I am happy with the H; simple as that and so are many people very happy with their DJI.

Continued next post...

The product will evolve/improve and get ''better'' over time. We should be happy about this! Wait you say? For the hesitant amongst you; don't buy a thing then because a new model is always waiting around every corner!

I say buy it, use it, update it, modify it and most importantly HAVE FUN WITH IT, then crash it and fix it!

That's what it's for; the're glorified toys for overgrown kids and nothing more. Anyone thinking that these are professional platforms is misguided and confused. They are just 21st century toys!

I want to be the kid with the new skateboard not the one waiting for next years model. I want to be the cool kid with the tricked out well used last years model that the chicks smile at; Not the spoilt brat that always has the latest model but can't skate and thinks it's a :censored: Ferrari. It's just a damned skateboard!

So enough ranting, raving and ''colourful'' language...

The new ST16+...

The internal 2.4 antenna for telemetry reception has been rerouted externally for higher efficiency and the telemetry data no longer ''drops off'' at distance.

I originally complained to Ryan Kephart about this a short time ago and here already is a solution to the problem and an improvement to the design!

It's a big deal for all the original ST16 controllers out there jumping around; well stop crying!

All you need is a UFL to SMA Jump Lead and a Dipole Antenna. After 30 minutes of time, a drill bit [I recommend a ''Step-Bit'' for a perfectly round hole] and $20.00 you now have an ST16+.

Frank and I will sell the Cable and Antenna and/or perform the modification.

You will swap your warranty for reliability; noting is for free but...

You can always buy a new ST16+ if you're the spoilt kid with the new skateboard that thinks it's a Ferrari and make Yuneec rich. Or you give your money to Frank and keep a good guy in business while making yourself happy at very reasonable cost.

Frank and I are also working on a reconfigured ITELITE Range Booster with 3 Antenna Ports for the new ST16+ and/or modified ST16 owners. So look out for it!

We also have a properly sized screen protector for the ST16; the one that currently exists is too small because it was designed to fit the ST24 and not the ST16.

I will receive the prototype this week and manufacturing will begin next week. Frank and I will be the first to have them:

1. German Made of High Quality Material

2. Antiglare/Antireflective/Oileophobic

3. Scratch Resistant

4. Bubble Free Silicone Backed

What about the on-board internal 2.4 antennas in the H?

Well you all saw Bo's [The FPV Guy] You Tube video on the modification; so I ''hijacked'' his idea [Thanks Bo!]. He used two 13cm rubber duck dipoles; ugly, ungainly and not what I would consider practical but...

A GREAT IDEA, A GREAT VIDEO AND A GREAT IMPROVEMENT TO SIGNAL QUALITY!

THANK YOU BO FOR A BRILLIANT IDEA!

SO I DECIDED TO GO ONE STEP FURTHER/''BETTER''...

I am developing a 1/2 Wave Dipole Antenna with a Double Shielded Coaxial UFL to SMA Jump Lead.

It will have the following characteristics:

1. Tuned Antenna & Cable Set to be Application Specific [Not off the shelf Chinese stuff]

2. 2dBi Gain [More is unnecessary for this application]

3. ONLY 7cm LONG

4. Designed in Germany and built from the Highest Quality Materials

So what are the advantages of my antennas over standard rubber duck dipoles?

Well the're tuned to match the cable length/quality and are application specific.

Better yet they are only 7cm long and of an ''appealing'' design. So they will look cool and work well.

Frank and I will have the Antenna/Jump Lead Kits in about 4/6 weeks from Germany. Combined with the new ITELITE Range Booster we're working on now, this will offer the H pilot:

Unparalleled range and signal penetration, reliability of signal transmission/reception. All in a neat cool looking design.

One word of advice and constructive criticism...

Don't use a Dremmel or standard drill bit on the chassis.

Neither will produce a neat or round hole.

Use a 3mm drill bit to drill a Pilot Hole from the Inside-Out.

Then use a ''Step Bit'' with the correct size to cut the finished hole from Outside-In.

The Step Bit will give you a perfectly round/clean hole because it cuts instead of drills.

Frank and I will offer the Kit and/or modification at a very reasonable price-point. So you will get even closer to having your very own space shuttle instead of a bog standard imaginary Ferrari.

For those of you who want the best from the camera; and that's the whole point of the H or ant areal photography platform!

BUY THE OVERPRICED PEAU LENS!

IT'S HORRIBLY OVERPRICED; FRANK ONLY MAKES A $15.00 PROFIT

PEAU ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF BUT...

IT WORKS AND BO HAS DEMONSTRATED THE CLEAR IMPROVEMENT!

I highly recommend this lens to those serious about image quality.

You are being ripped off for $140.00 but even if the lens is not worth the money they sell it for!

However it's definitively worth the final result in far better image sharpness and virtually no soft edges!

Nothin's for free and life ain't fair...

BITE THE BULLET AND SPEND THE $140!

Finally Polar Pro ND filters are a must. They reduce residual jello, cut down on ''prop-wash'' caused by the ''strobe effect'' from sunlight through the props and they vastly improve the ''white-out/black-out'' effect when the camera transitions from light/dark and vise versa.

I honestly think the Polar Pro are worth the extra cash and are better quality than the Freewell. This is ''must have'' item for anyone with an H. If you need sunglasses and the human eye is a marvel of biological engineering then of course your little ball of Chinese plastic CGO3+ needs sunglasses too!

You are welcome to visit my page:

Security Check Required

Reviews/Posts Welcome.

If you do have criticisms be sure they are well presented and constructive otherwise they will be ignored. If you have advice for me ''I'm all ears'' and if you need advice and can tolerate my never-ending ranting and raving I'm happy to give it.

Anyone who actually wasted their time to read this far deserves some kind of medal!

Thanks and good luck with your DJI Phantom 4.

Sorry I meant to say Cyclone H.

No... Typhoon ''something or the other''?

Crash soon and call in for repairs or spend $400.00 on Intel Real Sense to avoid crashing so you have the freedom to find another method of destroying your drone.

Like letting me modify it and void your warranty as an example.

I better go before I'm either banned or I drive the reader into buying a DJI.

Reactions: horizontal
Much of this was posted a while back. Please don't keep posting other people's adverts.

Whilst I appreciate these guys selling fixes for those that want to mod their H, I would much rather dealers put pressure on Yuneec themselves for proper fixes.

If there is a design issue with the ST-16 that warrants a re-routed aerial, I'd like to see Yuneec own the problem and offer an 'official' upgrade. The same applies to the camera. If the lens needs replacing, I'd like it done under warranty.

I don't believe there is an Internal telemetry only antenna but there is another internal 2.4 antenna, I'm pretty sure telemetry is coming through the 2.4 RC link. The reason I came to this conclusion is that I was testing a new external antenna and I was loosing telemetry consistently at about 150 ft. When I took the antenna off I found that the SMA connector had broken and was being held together by the heatshrink. I was actually flying without an external antenna attached! When I put the stock antenna back on the telemetry was stable again.

Last edited:
Much of this was posted a while back. Please don't keep posting other people's adverts.

Whilst I appreciate these guys selling fixes for those that want to mod their H, I would much rather dealers put pressure on Yuneec themselves for proper fixes.

If there is a design issue with the ST-16 that warrants a re-routed aerial, I'd like to see Yuneec own the problem and offer an 'official' upgrade. The same applies to the camera. If the lens needs replacing, I'd like it done under warranty.
And for free! not pay someone to mod their mistake!;)

Reactions: Cristian
Hey @Sticks, dude your posting style MORE than sucks. What on earth is wrong with you??
This forum limits posts to number of charactars. PITA to transfer this kind of stuff over. I don't know about this being a repeat post, first I saw it over on Yuneec-Fourm. Guy signed up and posted last week.

Rayray - Yes. Live in Denver CO

I think he and Frank are offering some solutions to many of the problems or shortfalls we have experienced. Wait forever for Yuneec to address them and you will grow old! I, for one, want to have improvements now, not much later, and I will throw some money their way.

Thanks for improving the mousetrap!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11