Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Strange silence around the H3

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to step up my game in the camera drone buisness and I am seriously considering the H3 because of both the drone and the Leica camera. The last weeks I tried to gather indepth info on the filming features of the Ion camera.
I am only interested in the Log 10bit WDR DNG film mode I will not use jpgs but: I barely found something. There are one or two user reviews online but Yuneec is strangely silent on this system.
So I contacted support both of Yuneec and Leica and hit a silent wall. Marketing is so underdeveloped that I suspect they are hiding this thing because it is not ready? No ND Filters etc. as an example? No raw film footage to test? That is strange for an almost 3k system right?

Reactions: Mike Irish
Hi,
I am looking to step up my game in the camera drone buisness and I am seriously considering the H3 because of both the drone and the Leica camera. The last weeks I tried to gather indepth info on the filming features of the Ion camera.
I am only interested in the Log 10bit WDR DNG film mode I will not use jpgs but: I barely found something. There are one or two user reviews online but Yuneec is strangely silent on this system.
So I contacted support both of Yuneec and Leica and hit a silent wall. Marketing is so underdeveloped that I suspect they are hiding this thing because it is not ready? No ND Filters etc. as an example? No raw film footage to test? That is strange for an almost 3k system right?

I totally agree with you the silence from Youneec is defining. I think that there was and is now a downturn in the drone market, Also with the world wide impact of the Covid 19 pandemic has played havoc with sales is was produent to hold off on any big sales launch.
I would expect by the end of July if the virus clear we will see Yuneec and others make a magir drive to release their new models for the summer season.
Mike

Reactions: ceen
Yes might be Covid...But it was released in October right? I am just very reluctant to spend several thousand bucks on a system I cannot really judge. I am talking color workflow in post with Resolve for example. Are there Log profiles for the camera? ACES input transforms (IDT)? I just want to nail the pipeline before I go into it.

Seems to be in stock in some dealers in the EU. Pre order in UK though.

Yes might be Covid...But it was released in October right? I am just very reluctant to spend several thousand bucks on a system I cannot really judge. I am talking color workflow in post with Resolve for example. Are there Log profiles for the camera? ACES input transforms (IDT)? I just want to nail the pipeline before I go into it.

If I was like you thinking of upgrading I would message Yuneec.co.uk and put your questions to them. I found the staff in the Uk very helpful as any questions I asked them in the past wea answered.
Mike

Yes here in Germany you also can get it via third party sellers quite easily and fast. Support just answered my question about the possiblity of mounting the cam to the H Plus (they said is it not possible) and never replied to my Post Production questions. They might have no answers to it because the specs must be provided by Leica and simply aren't there yet... So I try it here to see if there are film people who know more ;)

Yes here in Germany you also can get it via third party sellers quite easily and fast. Support just answered my question about the possiblity of mounting the cam to the H Plus (they said is it not possible) and never replied to my Post Production questions. They might have no answers to it because the specs must be provided by Leica and simply aren't there yet... So I try it here to see if there are film people who know more ;)

Why not just shoot an email off to yuneec.co.uk as I said and see if they can answer your questions.
Mike

Yes seems like the way to go. Thank you all for the input so far.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the video is 8 bit in either 264 or 265, but the photo mode does give the higher bit rate much like the H Plus and 520 DNG's. Yuneec has released the H3 like they did the 520 'in a limited release' so, not available at all retailers that typically sold other Yuneec products. There are a number of people that have purchased them here in the states but they are very limited. I too would like to truly see the full capability of an H3 but I don't think you'll be able to piece that together from the internet, not for some while now due to the limited numbers.

By the way, the L1 has a slide out bracket that you load ND film into which, is actually a nice feature so you don't have to buy expensive ND filters but rather get sheets of film and cut your own.

Attachments

• 10Bit.jpg
    10Bit.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 41
HI thank you. I found DNGs and more footage linked under Youtube tests. Have a look in the descriptions here:

There is a very short section that is in WDR mode in the second link. These few seconds around minute 8 are the only ones I found so far.

Last edited:
HI thank you. I found DNGs and more footage linked under Youtube tests. Have a look in the descriptions here:

There is a very short section that is in WDR mode in the second link. These few seconds around minute 8 are the only ones I found so far.
Thanks for reposting these. I really like the 60fps. The zoom is just digital and has limited usefulness. Lighting for both videos was less than ideal but the cameras continued to capture everything with good detail if not spectacular color. I liked how the pilot put camera into slow auto-rotation while flying around at various altitudes. That would be really difficult without the 360-deg gimbal. Also, saw a good demonstration of how to fly fast without getting props in view; fly backwards and reverse video in post if necessary ;-)

Hi,
to update my research findings: thank you first for the examples. They look good!
I received feedback from Leica support about post production workflow. The answer was: "Ask Yuneec". I think both the Leica and Yuneec support had no clue what I was talking about ;).
The lack of info, filters and extra equipment leads me to stay away from it right now as I also realised I prefer the mantis, mavic, evo class because of the size. In half a day I found ten times the info on dji drones including post workflows than I found on Yuneec products in a week. And the LUTs and camera profiles are everywhere. That is a massive selling point. Let's see where I end up.

Hi,
to update my research findings: thank you first for the examples. They look good!
I received feedback from Leica support about post production workflow. The answer was: "Ask Yuneec". I think both the Leica and Yuneec support had no clue what I was talking about ;).
The lack of info, filters and extra equipment leads me to stay away from it right now as I also realised I prefer the mantis, mavic, evo class because of the size. In half a day I found ten times the info on dji drones including post workflows than I found on Yuneec products in a week. And the LUTs and camera profiles are everywhere. That is a massive selling point. Let's see where I end up.
True, but DJI has 10 times the market share that Yuneec has. Pretty much the same as all other manufacturers when compared to them. Nothing new there.

Hi,

I would have replied, I'm sorry, but post production workflow is by definition, a function of the camera, not the aircraft. A camera that has the Leica name on it... so "asking Yuneec" is no answer. But rest assured, I will also not be asking you, as Leica's representative, about such matters as GPS acquisition or compass calibrations. :rolleyes:

And the reasons you gave regarding lack of filters, ancillary equipment, as well as basic OEM repair parts will keep me from purchasing at this time. Since the first H3s started showing up in October 2019, the lack of various supplies, was going on long before the Coronavirus outbreak... that has just put everything on hold.

As far as the lack of information... no need to look further than this forum. The H3 help forum is completely empty because the basic OEM user manual has never been posted on the Yuneec site. All previous Yuneec models had a published OEM manual on site within 2-3 weeks of availability.

BTW, if any forum members that own a H3, have that OEM manual PDF on that original SD card that comes with the camera, please send a copy my way, so I can post it in the forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
B&H Photo has the Typhoon H3 listed, and the Ad states, "More on the Way", the last time I checked it didn't say that, so it looks like they have sold some, but who really knows. It is Listed for $2,499.00. Here's the Link:
Yuneec Typhoon H3 with 1" Sensor and 4K Camera
It also says: Expected availability: 7-14 business days

Thank you for driving that point home... those have been available since the release of the H3. I downloaded the H3 Data Sheet on September 26, 2019... what is ludicrous, is that virtually nothing has been published since.

At-least they're Consistent...........if you think about it.......It makes Sense that it's not released.......if Manufacturers & Suppliers aren't getting Paid, then Repair Facilities don't get Parts, in turn they are Forced to Scavenge their own Inventories......Customers can Only be Lied to for so long,,,,,,,,,it's Really no Mystery where this is Headed.......Don't Get me Wrong, I want to Believe..........But not gonna Happen.......Of Course if the H3 is Released and Performs Flawlessly "Out of the Box", then there may still be Hope......oh and as long as Nobody Crashes, Needs Parts, or wants a Couple Extra Batteries, or a simple Balance Cable....... This isn't a Horse I'd Put my Money on.
I spoke to another Repair Facility Yesterday, and they are no longer doing Repairs, and have Parted Ways. ..
It's a Shame it's not Cost Effective to Manufacture a Good Platform here in the USA,,,, then we can tell them to Step Off!.....The people of that Country don't Trust the USA, and never will....because Thieves Trust No One...... Everyone better start saving their Old Battery Cases, Retract Module Housings, ESC Boards, the Good Parts of Landing Gear & Motor Arms, and anything else salvageable.
The Ratio of Damaged "A" & "B" Motor Arms is 4 to 1. It's usually the "B" Arms Broken in Crashes, (based on the 75 I have sold) the Motors are Bullet Proof as long as you don't get any Screws or Objects inside them, I've yet to see a Burned out Motor. I will have a source for the Retract Yokes & Motor Arm Latches soon, I have a Hundred Retract Housings needing Yokes, so Save your Old Parts! were on our own.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio