Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Strobing in video footage????

Reaction score
Noticed something odd today when reviewing my footage.
For some reason there is strobing in the footage, it's especially noticeable in 2.7k shot at 25p.
All settings were manual, just thought is was the sensor resolving grass and trees but when I viewed it in FCPX with a waveform I can defiantly see strobing going on. It's more noticeable in the 2.7K footage.

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.58.20 pm.jpg

Here's the link to the screen capture file for examination, especially note it in the waveform in the 2.7K footage.
Looks like an exposure spike, small but noticeable seems to be more prevalent in the mids ??
Here's the link to the file:
Dropbox - STROBING 1080P 25P.mp4

This best describes the phenomenon, it looks like the exposure is slightly being increased and then drops back to it's original setting.
Looking closely at the waveform there is a very slight exposure increase then a drop back to the original exposure.
Can't work it out and I have jobs on tomorrow as well :eek:

Hi mate.
U have had any responses yet...
Will send it to China and see what they say.I can give you a set of ND filters to try if you like?
Where is the job tomorrow and what time?
Maybe I can meet you someplace?
Haydn

Thanks Haydn both morning Jobs are in Morayfield and one in Beerwah late afternoon so they are some distance from you.
Will probably need to buy a set of filters for the C23 anyway how much are they ? :)

AU$145+delivery from me.
I have them in stock.

But I'm happy to send you a set to St if that fixes the problem.

I find the card that it comes with its great.
There are a lot of fake cards around and it's possible that yours is not up to scratch.

Definately try the factory card and see if it helps.

So is it only in the 2.7 and not in the 4k?

Its not as exaggerated in 4K but still there when I look at the waveform
Hi Haydn,
Here's another test clip, the first clip is in 2.7K second 4K and the third a reference clip to show the difference. Used a different waveform on the left to show the pulses better.
File is private, password is: C23-000
This is because the last clip cannot be shared as it was posted as a test clip only.
Here's the link:

An update to this thread :)
I imported some footage from another H+ user and also saw the same issue! The footage was recorded in Original Colour Profile, slightly over exposed as in a normal LOG file. I also noticed the exposure spike in their footage as well! But to look at it I wouldn't have noticed it. Imported into FCPX I can also see the same spikes in their footage on the waveform monitor but it's in the sky and as it's quite bright anyway it wouldn't be noticed.
I wonder if this has been fixed in the latest firmware update for the H Plus ?
Also can anyone else supply some RAW footage shot in Original Colour profile from another C23 ??
Just trying to figure out if it's the odd case of it or if it's found in all C23's ??

Its not as exaggerated in 4K but still there when I look at the waveform

Hi Haydn,
Here's another test clip, the first clip is in 2.7K second 4K and the third a reference clip to show the difference. Used a different waveform on the left to show the pulses better.
File is private, password is: C23-000
This is because the last clip cannot be shared as it was posted as a test clip only.
Here's the link:

Sorry your video cannot be viewed as it is listed as PRIVATE

That's why he gave the password

Reactions: rdonson
The latest one version 10 last version was 08 in 2.7k it’s still there but at 4K it’s not noticeable or at 1080p just still there at 2.7k. Will probably stick with 4K :)

The latest one version 10 last version was 08 in 2.7k it’s still there but at 4K it’s not noticeable or at 1080p just still there at 2.7k. Will probably stick with 4K :)

Thank you for responding. I've had my plus for a week now and I immediately noticed this strobing effect. Specifically with half the screen dark and the top portion brighter. It's almost as if it's having issues metering for the correct exposure. I'm going to roll the camera to the latest firmware update and see if that fixes it.

I knew I wasn't imagining it lol :)
After the latest update it eased the issue a lot for 4K and 1080P but is still evident in 2.7K.
I really prefer shooting in 2.7K as it means the files sizes are not too big but it allows me to crop as all our output is 1080P.
1080P is ok but it doesn't have as much detail as it should and the aliasing of rooftops etc is rather annoying so I will have to shoot in 4K for now.
Still DNG files are amazing but I still need good video footage for my clients :)
I also got a full set of ND filters for the camera to bring down the 4000th of a second shutter speed to 60 also seemed to help a bit too.
Overall at the moment you can still see it slightly in the waveform monitor in FCPX but it's now a lot less noticeable in 4K and 1080p.
It just looks like an exposure issue that can be fixed. I messaged Yuneec about it with the example but had no response :(

Thank you for responding. I've had my plus for a week now and I immediately noticed this strobing effect. Specifically with half the screen dark and the top portion brighter. It's almost as if it's having issues metering for the correct exposure. I'm going to roll the camera to the latest firmware update and see if that fixes it.
Here's a clip from Saturdays flight with the camera update shot at 25p 60th sec shutter speed (64ND attached), ISO 150 in 4K downscaled in post to 1080p.

Reactions: JackMTaco

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval