Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Suggestions for the new DataPilot 2

For me it' been covered above,
POI to be able to survey for example a tower or house.
Expo on all flying and camera controls to be able to smooth especially yaw control and gimbal tilt
In Manual control the h520 flies incredibly smooth but in Angle mode it is very jerky in all movements. Please smooth out Angle mode.
On waypoints the transition from one waypoint to the next could be classed in Some cases violent!
Histogram on camera,
More shutter settings
Custom white balance in Kelvin
Exposure bracketing
Sort out distorted lens in dng and video
Fix fuzzy and muddy jpg images
basic needed commercial camera features
To be able to move the gimbal, pan and tilt while on a waypoint mission.
Higher speed needed under certain circumstances
I don't use it but it might be useful is object avoidance actually worked

All the above.
And specifically a fixed shutter speed / exposure setting - obviously it can’t change aperture but can change iso..this is specifically for photogrammetry in lower light where a minimum shutter is essential for images without motion blur.

Do you still believe in everything you ask? For over a month, they do not even make a correction on the battery so if you think they'll have time to do the rest, that's the dream.
The H520 served as a test base and as flight returns are not negative. they will be able to benefit rather for the Hplus which will reach a larger customer base than the modest H520.

Summary of some basic features I expect a from commercial drone, note tagging Industrial or Enterprise on to the name doesn't remove any of these basic requirements

1. TX support for mode change 1,2,3&4
2. TX exponential on channels used for primary and camera controls
3. TX programmable independent rates on channels used for primary and camera controls
4. A robust user interface, current Datapilot app crashes on a regular basis
5. A Camera without severe lens distortion
6. A Camera with quality JPEGs, not soft & dreamy from aggressive noise reduction algorithms
7. A Camera gimbal that can maintain horizontal level
8. A Camera gimbal that can rotate smoothly
9. A Camera that provides Histograms
10. A Camera that provides for Custom White Balance
11. A Camera that can date & time stamp the photographs correctly
12. A Camera that can be controlled independently by a payload operator
13. A Camera that supports all relevant shutter speeds including 1/50th & 1/100th
14. A Camera that transition smoothly between waypoints (current turns abruptly at the waypoint)
15. A Camera that produces video without severe jitter & jello (current E50 issue)
16. A drone that when programmed with straight line missions is capable of flying in a straight line
17. Missions with programmable splines
18. Missions with programmable circles
19. Ability to simply program vertical missions
20. Ability to simply program a series of photographs from a fixed point with varying camera angles both vertical and horizontal
21. Ability to select return to either the take off point or the current controller position
22. A drone that can track the current controller position
23. Ability to select LEDs On/Off Front only or All
24. A gimbal lock for transiting with a camera installed

Summary of some basic features I expect a from commercial drone, note tagging Industrial or Enterprise on to the name doesn't remove any of these basic requirements

1. TX support for mode change 1,2,3&4
2. TX exponential on channels used for primary and camera controls
3. TX programmable independent rates on channels used for primary and camera controls
4. A robust user interface, current Datapilot app crashes on a regular basis
5. A Camera without severe lens distortion
6. A Camera with quality JPEGs, not soft & dreamy from aggressive noise reduction algorithms
7. A Camera gimbal that can maintain horizontal level
8. A Camera gimbal that can rotate smoothly
9. A Camera that provides Histograms
10. A Camera that provides for Custom White Balance
11. A Camera that can date & time stamp the photographs correctly
12. A Camera that can be controlled independently by a payload operator
13. A Camera that supports all relevant shutter speeds including 1/50th & 1/100th
14. A Camera that transition smoothly between waypoints (current turns abruptly at the waypoint)
15. A Camera that produces video without severe jitter & jello (current E50 issue)
16. A drone that when programmed with straight line missions is capable of flying in a straight line
17. Missions with programmable splines
18. Missions with programmable circles
19. Ability to simply program vertical missions
20. Ability to simply program a series of photographs from a fixed point with varying camera angles both vertical and horizontal
21. Ability to select return to either the take off point or the current controller position
22. A drone that can track the current controller position
23. Ability to select LEDs On/Off Front only or All
24. A gimbal lock for transiting with a camera installed
Exactly. This is the minimum m!!!

Gentlemen I ask you again please, we dedicate this thread only to give ideas? We have the whole forum to comment on things. I tell you with total certainty that these ideas are coming to Yuneec and there is no idea that is bad, can be implemented or not, Yuneec will want to implement it or not, but if we lose the ideas in 40,000 messages does not meet its goal. We put what we want to see in our H520s and as Bob has commented, explain a little bit about what we want to achieve with that. Many ideas don't need explanation, others do.

Thank you very much :)

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
  • Automatic shooting function for 360 degree spherical photos. The camera rotates and tilts automatically and take the necessary photos.

The ability to add and save the specs for 3rd party cameras (FOV, Mp, CMOS dimensions, etc) so that mapping missions can be programmed to get proper image overlap and GSD

There is a wealth of cameras and other sensors and tools made by experts that, if they could be readily carried by the H520, would make this drone an incredible addition to the professional's toolbox.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
This post is related to, but not entirely about DataPilot. (Hoping for some leeway here, arruntus!)

Disclaimer: I am a computer/web programmer as one of my career endeavors. I am NOT a hardware engineer with respect to Unmanned Aerial Systems. Therefore, I am presenting the following from the perspective of applications running on top of an operating system, and only that. If hardware incompatibilities exist that nullify the following, I will accept the reality.

What I would like to see is the ability of any ST16 to be able to at least partially work with any H platform (H480 or H520).

What we have is the following, in all of our ST16 controllers (ST16, ST16+, ST16s, ST16 Pro - did I miss any?):
  • An embedded tablet running Android Operating System.
  • Applications written for the Android tablet to interface with hardware - the controller
    • The Flight Control applications are customized for the aircraft bound to it.
      • The H480 has its Flight Control App - (sorry - unaware of an actual app name)
      • The H520 has DataPilot
      • The applications also interface with the camera control systems of each platform
What are the real differences?
  • Each aircraft has a different control stack.
  • Each aircraft needs a flight control application written for its unique control stack.
What is common? All of these applications sit on top of Android.

From strictly a programmer's perspective, I do not see anything preventing the Flight Controller applications for both the H480 and the H520 from being installed on the same Android table at the same time. Running both applications at the same time? Now that I can see as an undesirable conflict.

However, here is my vision: Develop standalone camera control applications allowing any ST16 to be a second controller or team mode.

Scenario 1:
  • I have an H520 and ST-16s, along with an ST16 Pro from my H480 fleet.
    • The ST-16s remains as flight control for my H520.
    • ST16 Pro, running the standalone H520 camera control app, can bind with the H520's E50, E90, ET cameras and provide the second pilot in the team.
I realize the current H520 communication link is via the camera. Well, that might have have to change, but... we are looking for versatility options, so... nothing is a bad idea until proven unsafe, unwise, or impractical, right? Besides, the H520 can bind to its controller without the camera. From what I currently see, all I am missing is the H520 battery status. Not sure what else I am missing, but I know I can get the motors to rev up. (Haven't bothered to try flying, just have weights on the gear to ensure I don't do something completely stupid.)

Scenario 2: Very similar - I have one ST16 Pro (H480) and one ST16s (H520).
  • I want to control the flight with an ST16 - not with some funky wizard (sorry for the editorial). I want the control and safety of the full featured controller. Simple enough.
  • I have the ST16s for the H520. I shut down the DataPilot and start up the standalone H480-based camera control application.
  • Team mode is then accomplished by the use of two ST16's, even if they are the primaries for different platforms.

The whole idea is what many have touted as redundancy. My goal is to avoid having to purchase two of each flavor (this includes the H Plus when it arrives). I would like to be able to choose the application I need to fill the task at hand, using common tablet and operation system to communicate with the hardware in the manner necessary.

Hope this makes sense. I will likely edit after it percolates for awhile. Or delete if I find I am out of my bloody mind. (Sorry Tuna!)

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited:
Already if I'm not mistaken the H is working on a 32-bit Android platform and the H520 on a 64-bit android. So if that's it, the two applications can not live together.
I do not know the H flight controller but the H520 has a controller quite different, a PX4 driver, so the application of one can not control the other.
That's why, I think the H520's radio is the ST16S because it could have taken the same radio 3 antennas H. but the latter turns into 64 bits.

Already if I'm not mistaken the H is working on a 32-bit Android platform and the H520 on a 64-bit android. So if that's it, the two applications can not live together.
I do not know the H flight controller but the H520 has a controller quite different, a PX4 driver, so the application of one can not control the other.
That's why, I think the H520's radio is the ST16S because it could have taken the same radio 3 antennas H. but the latter turns into 64 bits.

Respectfully submit you read again, Claudius.

I am not saying “one application controls both.” I said both applications should be able to live on the same tablet.

Now in the case of a 64bit app living on a 32bit machine/OS, you’re right there. But I also alluded to smaller camera apps. A 32bit version could reside on both controllers.

Perfect, no. But dreaming; sometimes they do come true!

Jeff

P.S. while I’m dreaming, perhaps your point, Claudius means the 32bit tablets might require a tablet upgrade. If not cost prohibitive, who knows. The 32bit apps should still work on the 64bit OS, if done right. No?
[emoji256]

Yes a 32-bit application can on a 64-bit tablet, carefully everything depends on whether the architecture of the Core accepts it. but the opposite seems to me to be compromised.

Not sure if this isn’t already possible, but I use the drone to map construction projects. It would be nice to have a way to set my survey up while the drone is in the air, based off what it is looking at.

Currently I just have to guess the area off old satellite images that aren’t updated with the current construction we’ve already done. Being able to setup my survey based off an actually current view of the area would be amazing.

Perhaps Yuneec making an announcement providing a hard calendar date referencing release of any DataPilot update would be useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33