Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Team Mode?

The H-480 utilizes the same rheostat type knob. Think about it for a minute, why would the knob need to be turned 360*? It needs to rotate left and right to establish direction of gimbal rotation, and to stop the rotation at points between top and bottom rotation. As an assist to the operator the amount the knob is turned establishes the speed at which the gimbal rotates. Slow, fast, or somewhere in between. The gimbal does not possess the ability to accelerate rotation an infinite amount, and lacking that ability there’s no reason to continuously rotate the knob. The lower stop point is max rotation speed.

Take some time to read the well written manual and experiment with different camera control and set up functions on the work bench. All systems are not the same so time and practice is required to learn and become familiar with them.

Couple of good reasons why I think the knob could be beneficial by rotating 360 continuous. I did read the manual quite thoroughly and twice in fact. It didn’t answer my question hence why I am here :)

Reactions: thoneter
It would be a little hard, and expensive, to design a rotational control that possessed unlimited continuous rotation in both directions while also providing speed and position differentiation in both directions. To effectively accomplish that would require a separate knob for each direction with both dependent on a fixed neutral position. Not cost effective.

Couple of good reasons why I think the knob could be beneficial by rotating 360 continuous. I did read the manual quite thoroughly and twice in fact. It didn’t answer my question hence why I am here :)
OK you've peaked my curiosity. What are some good reasons for a continuous turning knob?

OK you've peaked my curiosity. What are some good reasons for a continuous turning knob?[/

The biggest advantage I see would be what I came up against yesterday while filming the kids riding their bikes... I put the H Plus in a hover and used the pan knob and tilt control to follow them as they rode around our cul-de-sac. That’s when I discovered that it will not rotate 360 when controlling it manually. With the absence of Team mode and the ability to use a Wizard, it would come in handy by not having to control both the drone and the camera simultaneously. I suppose rotating the drone and using the tilt would have accomplished the same thing. Your mileage may vary of course.

It would be a little hard, and expensive, to design a rotational control that possessed unlimited continuous rotation in both directions while also providing speed and position differentiation in both directions. To effectively accomplish that would require a separate knob for each direction with both dependent on a fixed neutral position. Not cost effective.

Quite true. I suppose as I explore the drone more I’ll better understand why they chose one feature over another.

The biggest advantage I see would be what I came up against yesterday while filming the kids riding their bikes... I put the H Plus in a hover and used the pan knob and tilt control to follow them as they rode around our cul-de-sac. That’s when I discovered that it will not rotate 360 when controlling it manually. With the absence of Team mode and the ability to use a Wizard, it would come in handy by not having to control both the drone and the camera simultaneously. I suppose rotating the drone and using the tilt would have accomplished the same thing. Your mileage may vary of course.
If the knob was continuous 360 wouldn't you have to spin the knob faster to keep up with your kids? How would you determine what was forward if it's continuous? Presently you just spin left and go farther left to follow something. I get the fact that active trak is what your looking for but using a continuous 360 knob to replace this feature would be difficult to impossible.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
If the knob was continuous 360 wouldn't you have to spin the knob faster to keep up with your kids? How would you determine what was forward if it's continuous? Presently you just spin left and go farther left to follow something. I get the fact that active trak is what your looking for but using a continuous 360 knob to replace this feature would be difficult to impossible.

They are ages 3 and 6. At about a 40 ft hover, they can’t move faster than the gimbal :)

CK,

I understand what you are getting at. I also agree it should not be difficult to implement.

With the pan mode switch in the middle position, whereby the position of the camera is determined by the position of the pan control knob, the gimbal should be basically pointing in the same compass position (degrees) as the pan knob. Turn the knob 90 degrees clockwise, the gimbal points 90 degrees right of center. Move it 90 left, gimbal points 90 left.

Seems the only thing preventing a fully operator controlled camera positioning system is the physical stop in the knob assembly itself. My bet is a stopless pot would do the trick.

My follow up bet is likely the primary reason the h+ ST16s has the same pot as the h480 and h520 ST16s’s is simply because the H480 and H520 ST16s’s use the same pot. Economics.

I do see the value of a fully manual mode for the full 360, via the pan knob, as opposed to a “smart” mode plus a joystick. Perhaps a future hack? (Replacing the stopped pot with a full rotation version.)

Jeff

What’s needed for what you want to do is a aircraft that can be slaved to a camera position, and that camera has to have an extremely good target lock the camera and lens position would use to guide the aircraft. Active track isn’t really good enough to execute that with reliability. Team mode requires a second person to drive the camera, and having that second person is often an issue of its own.

This is where that Smart mode a few complained about worked out well for the single operator. Took some practice to become coordinated driving the aircraft with one hand while yawing the camera and aircraft with the other but it was effective once it came together.

What I was REALLY expecting was compatibility with the Wizard. Loss of that feature, IMO, really diminishes the value of the H Plus for recreational use. I am on the ropes about keeping it with hopes that features will be added, or return it for the H Pro.

Thus far nothing between the H-480 and H Plus flight control systems has been compatible As the flight control system in the Plus is completely different from the H-480, I don’t understand how people might think they could use the H-480 Wizard with the Plus, nor the H-480’s ST-16 or cameras. There’s certainly no mention of a Plus Wizard in Yuneec’s advertising.

Reactions: thoneter
Thus far nothing between the H-480 and H Plus flight control systems has been compatible As the flight control system in the Plus is completely different from the H-480, I don’t understand how people might think they could use the H-480 Wizard with the Plus, nor the H-480’s ST-16 or cameras. There’s certainly no mention of a Plus Wizard in Yuneec’s advertising.

Leading up to the release of the H Plus, there were a couple of online sources that indicated Team Mode being a feature. Perhaps it was initially planned or perhaps simply bad journalism. Admittedly, I did not do up-to-date research on the H Plus as my intent was to eventually pick up an H... then a few days ago my wife surprised me with the Plus for our anniversary :)

Ideally you need to be able to control the pan and tilt like you do on a CCC mission where you can switch the gimbal to global and follow someone with the right joystick whilst staying in a hover. I wonder if you can do the CCC with just one position ? Usually you fly your route and add the points what if you just added the point at where you are positioned, create a point on the app and then run the mission and use the global gimbal switch. Then operate the gimbal with the joystick ??
Will have to try that one :)

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
I have asked Yuneec in the past if the H Plus had/will have team mode and they said no....however I have come across multiple websites claiming that it does in fact have team mode as well as I came across a youtube last night that was showing what supposedly the update process on the st16s controller to have team mode.

Here are a couple of references I have found that support the fact that it does: (hopefully this doesn't go against any rules for posting external links)
The Yuneec Typhoon H Plus Now Available | UAV Expert News

I know the video is foreign, but at least it does show that the firmware is supposed to actually include the update to have team mode.

I have asked Yuneec in the past if the H Plus had/will have team mode and they said no....however I have come across multiple websites claiming that it does in fact have team mode as well as I came across a youtube last night that was showing what supposedly the update process on the st16s controller to have team mode.

Here are a couple of references I have found that support the fact that it does: (hopefully this doesn't go against any rules for posting external links)
The Yuneec Typhoon H Plus Now Available | UAV Expert News

I know the video is foreign, but at least it does show that the firmware is supposed to actually include the update to have team mode.
I believe that last firmware update added team mode.

There's been a few others that have made this comparison. The DJI is the sports car and the Yuneec is Cadillac SUV. Want a professional video with the drone flying away while the camera pans then Yuneec. Want a drone that has more bells and whistles that is quicker and nimble then DJI.

I would not compare both through that analogy... LOL.. These drones are merely tools for us artist, but Yuneec has not provoke the young artist to run and get a Yuneec drone. I have DJI products, and what I need is a compact HEX. One day, we will all look back at all of this, when YUNEEC will become a house hold name and I think it can get there if they just pay attention more to forums like this one. And you know what, probably they do..

HEY YUNEEC! WE NEED A NEW PATCH THAT'S BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS PATCH! LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuocdaday