Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Telemetry for Video Overlay...

Reaction score
So I have used dashware many times over the years, and now Quik with the hero 5 for overlays, but after a bunch of googling, I haven't found any good workflow with the Typhoon H.

I have found various sites that convert to GPX but the speed data seems to come out very wonky.

I can post some samples of what I have done, but before I do, have I missed some magical place or google search that would have led me to a simple way to get H log data into DashWare with good results?

I am a software engineer, and have looked at the source for stdash for instance, and could definitely rewrite that for the H, but I don't want to spend the time and find out someone has already done it, or there is a good workflow I am missing.

Thanks,

Step 1: Prepare Dashware (only once the first time):
- download and install latest Dashware from Dashware Download - DashWare
- download profile "Yuneec Q500 v1.5" from
ST2Dash der Flightlog Konverter für die ST10+/Q500 - Drohnen-Forum.de - Quadrocopter, Multicopter und FPV
- unzip "Yuneec Q500 v1.5.xml" and copy it to the Profile directory of Dashware: %HOMEPATH%\Documents\DashWare\DataProfiles\
- restart Dashware. Now the new profile for Yuneec telemetry data from ST2DASH or q500log2kml is available every time you use Dashware. Done.

Step 2: Convert telemetry file to Dashware format that fits the profile:
- download and install "q500log2kml" from here:
http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip
- read the description (OK, this you have done at this point)
- select Data conversion output format "dashw.csv" in tab "Settings"
- convert all the telemetry data of real flights in one step to Dashwarefiles by click on Convert

Step 3: Use video files and fitting converted Dashwarefile (i.e. Telemetry000xxdashw.csv):

- start Dashware - create a new project
- add one or more video files (I guess Dashware cannot use 4k videos, it must be downsized)
- add converted Dashwarefile (i.e. Telemetry000xxdashw.csv) as data logger file
- select "Yuneec Q500 v1.5" as relating profile
- synchronize telemetry/video and do all the stuff that you want to do with your project...

Note: The Q500 telemetry is nearly the same as Yuneec Typhoon H - it work for YTH too. As far as I know, Dashware has problems with 4K videos, Full HD works.

br HE

Last edited:
Well, maybe a firmware update? Because it errors saying that my log has the wrong number of columns. I looked at the source code, and it expects 24 columns, and my H log has 22 columns.

I got it all to work, but had to write some of my own code, at least now you don't have to go through all of those steps. ;-)

Reactions: AH-1G
4K does work, you just can't output a video, you have to output an image sequence, which has always been my preferred method. This way you output transparent pings, then convert that to a mov with an alpha channel with ffmpeg, and then you can just overlay, adjust, whatever you want in your video editor.

Looking at the code and all of the hoops for getting typhoon H logs into dashware, or something similar, like race render, I found that the only real issue is the way the Typhoon H log stores the date in the first column, it is not a readable timestamp. So I just wrote some code to convert the logs with the first column fixed (you can also do this in excel, but looking at other samples, dashware likes unix timestamps for the date time, with microseconds.

I am also trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my drone GPS, or just the logging. I made this video using DW, and the top data is from the ST16+ remote GPS telemetry, and the bottom is from the Typhoon, the gps data from the typhoon produces horrible speed data. I am going to post that issue in another thread, but here is the video that shows the clean overlays at 4k.

Reactions: Bosse_A
Or you can use UAV Toolbox, which does the conversion and download steps for Dashware / GPX in one go :) Link is in my sig.

Because it errors saying that my log has the wrong number of columns. I looked at the source code, and it expects 24 columns, and my H log has 22 columns

Q500 and Chroma (ST10) telemetry has more columns and slightly different order vs. Typhoon H (ST16). That means, Line 9 '<FileLineMatcher>' which describes the available columns will fit to Q500 but not 100% for Yuneec Typhoon H (aka YTH). YTH has not 'cgps_used' and 'gps_pos_used'. 'gps_status in on a different position. But those values makes no sense as video inlay, so it may not a problem. 'cgps_used' are anyway the first two bits from the IMU status, thus are obsolete which was consequntly done at YTH.

You can try this with corrected <FileLineMatcher> for ST16:
Yuneec H480 v1.5.xml.zip

br HE

Attachments

• Yuneec H480 v1.5.xml.zip
    3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: costarika
Thanks, I will take a look, I have already built profiles for my H and the ST16, but will compare. Thanks again.

4K does work, you just can't output a video, you have to output an image sequence, which has always been my preferred method. This way you output transparent pings, then convert that to a mov with an alpha channel with ffmpeg, and then you can just overlay, adjust, whatever you want in your video editor.

Looking at the code and all of the hoops for getting typhoon H logs into dashware, or something similar, like race render, I found that the only real issue is the way the Typhoon H log stores the date in the first column, it is not a readable timestamp. So I just wrote some code to convert the logs with the first column fixed (you can also do this in excel, but looking at other samples, dashware likes unix timestamps for the date time, with microseconds.

I am also trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my drone GPS, or just the logging. I made this video using DW, and the top data is from the ST16+ remote GPS telemetry, and the bottom is from the Typhoon, the gps data from the typhoon produces horrible speed data. I am going to post that issue in another thread, but here is the video that shows the clean overlays at 4k.

Correction to this, I wasn't able to output a 4k video with overlay from DW, only an image sequence while using VMware windows 10 on my mac. But when I ran it on an Acer Nitro PC running windows 10, I was able to output 4k just fine.

Correction to this, I wasn't able to output a 4k video with overlay from DW, only an image sequence while using VMware windows 10 on my mac. But when I ran it on an Acer Nitro PC running windows 10, I was able to output 4k just fine.

Dashware seems to be pretty flakey at the moment. It's very frustrating.

As an experiment, I wrote a renderer for the ST-16 that does overlays in the controller:

I haven't had a chance yet to see how it performs with 4K video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReparacionDronesMedellin