Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Terrible Support for Typhoon H

Reaction score
If anyone likes to fly Drones, in July 2018, I purchased a new $1200 Typhoon H made by Yuneec. I also purchased close to another $700 in accessories for this Drone such as batteries, propellers, camera lenses, chargers, FVP gear, etc. I would like to share my experience before you consider a purchase from this company. The Drone has GPS issues along with several other problems.
My first Typhoon H was replaced for dangerous landing problems. Using instructions from Yuneec’s own manuals and YouTube videos it would flip over and crash even with the softest landings. Instead I had to use the power button to kill the power while still in the air and catch the Drone by hand (Very Dangerous) when you have 6 sharp rotating propellers near your face and fingers. Or I could intermittently bump the power button when it was close to the ground and hope it would not be to rough of a landing. Support doesn’t comment on that though?

So Amazon replaced my first Drone with no questions asked from Yuneec's Amazon Store front which is not really Yuneec? Regardless, AMAZON not Yuneec, did the right thing. Great Company that Amazon! So along with many other pilots there still seems to be these GPS Anomalies. My second Drone was no exception to the sudden loss of GPS while flying. The second Drone required warranty repairs from a crash (from a GPS failure) which says that the company is aware of the flyaway dangers if it is covered under warranty. The flight logs will prove it.

So I sent it out for repair. I waited and waited and waited. It finally arrived back home but only with new issues, Gimbal issues? A Gimbal is like a Gyroscope. The 4K camera’s direction is controlled by the Gimbal. Keep in mind I purchased this Drone for the 4K Camera. Now my 4k camera will not stop spinning when using the panning options? Even after guidance directly from the Yuneec Customer support on the phone, it still spins. Supports solution ‘don't calibrate the Gimbal’ it shouldn’t be needed? Wait, what? They built a very specific 'Gimbal calibration' into the ST-16 controller(the Drone radio controller) But I should not use it now? Support was no help as you can see. And I still have not yet tested the Drone to see if the GPS failure has been resolved.
Sending it back to KAV again on12/7/2018. You can believe it, they don't care about the customer anymore

So looking back, the repair center has actually had possession of my drone more than I have and they want me to send it back again for a possible refurbished unit! Is that right? I paid for a NEW drone, not refurbished. Hey, who am I to complain. I should be happy to get a refurbished right? You treat your customer wrong they won’t be customers much longer.

For medical reasons I am not able to exert myself. The Drones are my only way of getting back into the world since they don’t require any physical effort. All I want from Yuneec is what I paid for, a new Drone, not a refurbished. I have other Drones from their biggest competitor. If anyone has any suggestions on what to try next, it would be welcome.

Last edited:
I understand your frustration. Have Yuneec confirmed a problem with the GPS components ?

I ask only because a sudden loss of GPS while flying is not necessarily unexpected, or a problem, OR a fault of the craft - GPS signals are not perfect, and they do drop in and out during the course of a flight - this is not dangerous in and of itself, unless the pilot doesn't have enough experience to handle a craft without GPS assistance. It's also not dangerous hand-catching the H if you grab it by the landing gear - I have done this safely hundreds of times - in fact is my preferred way of finishing a flight, especially if there are dogs around, where it is a much safer option than landing it...

Sorry to hear about your new gimbal problem though - sounds like you got unlucky there. You can remove the camera and just test the unit without it to see if anything has improved with GPS, but I suspect you'll have to be sending it back again to get the cam problem resolved - I don't think any part of that is user-serviceable..

I’ll simply state that landing roll overs are caused by “dumb thumbs”. If they are moving after touchdown a roll over is likely.

I'm sorry you are having these issues, but lets look at a few things.
Yuneec is an excellent product, you must understand its limitations and characteristics.
All model drones have limitations and issues, such as flyaway and dropping out of the air.

I'm surprised a tech mentioned "he is aware of flyaway issues"?

First of all you don't kill the power while the bird is in the air, you first hold it in your hand by the landing gears (in the downward position), then hold the power button down. I hope this is what you did, but the way you phrased it, you didn't.

I'm also curious, for the first time how long did you let the H (drone) sit while it was powered up before you took off for you maiden flight?
Did you fly in angle mode or smart mode?
Is this your first drone, what other drones have you owned?
How many hours of flight time do you have?
Did you read the entire manual?

What we find, folks think this is a toy that you just take out of the box, just turn it on and fly. NO!, it requires certain procedures, patience and understanding the complexity.
I'm not saying this is you, but there is always two side of a story, in most cases it's always favored for the pilot reporting his way of seeing, and maybe not admit to "hmmm did I do something wrong"
The percentages of pilot error is way higher then mechanical error.

Are you close by where somebody can help you with your H?

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
I understand your frustration. Have Yuneec confirmed a problem with the GPS components ?

I ask only because a sudden loss of GPS while flying is not necessarily unexpected, or a problem, OR a fault of the craft - GPS signals are not perfect, and they do drop in and out during the course of a flight - this is not dangerous in and of itself, unless the pilot doesn't have enough experience to handle a craft without GPS assistance. It's also not dangerous hand-catching the H if you grab it by the landing gear - I have done this safely hundreds of times - in fact is my preferred way of finishing a flight, especially if there are dogs around, where it is a much safer option than landing it...

Sorry to hear about your new gimbal problem though - sounds like you got unlucky there. You can remove the camera and just test the unit without it to see if anything has improved with GPS, but I suspect you'll have to be sending it back again to get the cam problem resolved - I don't think any part of that is user-serviceable..

They confirmed it as said it was covered after I sent the logs in. It lost GPS and for maybe 30 seconds, no response from the controls as I tried to climb straight up. Meanwhile it was on slow drift where it finally caught a tree branch, which made drop. I did notice that all of sudden it was like it just received the last inputs which was the finally battle and it hit hard. I am well learned on flying. I was going to get my 107 but I canceled for recent health reasons. I love this drone. I just sent it back this morning for KAV to look at it again. I don't mind hand catching. After the first Drone, there was no more landing issues. I just don't trust it anymore. For the record, that was Yuneecs instructions on landing, not mine. So now I just hand catch and i don't worry about a sudden flip over.
Back to the Gimbal. Sheldon, in support said, and I recorded it for my notes, "Don't calibrate the Gimbal, It should need it." But I after a few CCC's I would notice it was not straight so I would Calibrate about every 15 to 20 flights. But when I got it back, if you panned after a calibration, you would get dizzy watching it.
Like I said, I love this drone, I just want a drone that works and is not in their possession all the time. I was going to purchase the Plus this month, I will wait for a while.

Thanks

I’ll simply state that landing roll overs are caused by “dumb thumbs”. If they are moving after touchdown a roll over is likely.
I known people not hold down and wait for the change in motor tone when landed, before pressing button to shut down, it may be a completely different issue from the OP but has caused tip over.

I'm sorry you are having these issues, but lets look at a few things.
Yuneec is an excellent product, you must understand its limitations and characteristics.
All model drones have limitations and issues, such as flyaway and dropping out of the air.

I'm surprised a tech mentioned "he is aware of flyaway issues"?

First of all you don't kill the power while the bird is in the air, you first hold it in your hand by the landing gears (in the downward position), then hold the power button down. I hope this is what you did, but the way you phrased it, you didn't.

I'm also curious, for the first time how long did you let the H (drone) sit while it was powered up before you took off for you maiden flight?
Did you fly in angle mode or smart mode?
Is this your first drone, what other drones have you owned?
How many hours of flight time do you have?
Did you read the entire manual?

What we find, folks think this is a toy that you just take out of the box, just turn it on and fly. NO!, it requires certain procedures, patience and understanding the complexity.
I'm not saying this is you, but there is always two side of a story, in most cases it's always favored for the pilot reporting his way of seeing, and maybe not admit to "hmmm did I do something wrong"
The percentages of pilot error is way higher then mechanical error.

Are you close by where somebody can help you with your H?

No, I did not kill it in the air. I let my H sit for 15 to 20 minutes, powered up to make sure the library data is up to par. I think that should be enough? I have many drones. I only use Angle. Probably over 20 hours a week for the last 2 years, Flying for almost 5 years. New to Yuneec though if that is your question. And I don't paly with toys. I am very interested in the Hex copters to expand into search and rescue. So I figured I would get the H to become familiar before I invest in the 520 or 920's. I do know they are very different fro the 480. It was to get the feel of how the aircraft flies and responds.
Close to people, no, I live in the middle of nowhere in the Mountains. My only neighbors are bears.
I am just so frustrated that support used to be so good from what I read? I found them to be a little rude. Very much like the don't care.
The money is nothing. I have plenty of that, it is the time that I am losing with no solutions. I am sure they will get it right eventually.
Thanks for the response and great questions.

Reactions: AH-1G
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am sure they will get it right soon enough. I am just frustrated because I would like buy a few more of the Hex's. My Quads are great for what I use the for. I am finding the Hex Copter can do it better! So I am looking to upgrade a few of them. It will happen. I need to be patient it bit more I guess.

I known people not hold down and wait for the change in motor tone when landed, before pressing button to shut down, it may be a completely different issue from the OP but has caused tip over.

I would listen for it, but what would happen was the second it touched the ground, even with left stick full back, the motors would start to die down but than speed up? I did the full calibration for the controls, it was fine until after I change the next battery. I was like revving itself, high and then low? I am very picky on procedure. So at first i thought that I did soemthing stupid. But when I focused and it kept happening, I was at a loss. I could only think of the ESC must be getting hot and breaking down? But Amazon didn't even blink, and it was replaced. oh and again, Sheldon in support had promise me new blades, but they never came. The second H, no issue with landing but I would hand catch because of habit.
The second H was doing great, however it would lose GPS 3 and 4 times on a flight. But then the next flight it would not happen. It was random. The day is crashed, after the GPS fail message, it stopped responding even as I input to climb. So I sent the logs, they said it was the GPS. I sent it in. KAV had it for 4 1/2 weeks, sent it back, 4 days later it went back, 8 days later it returned, Just sent it back this morning at 11:45 am + - a minutes. I even put detailed instructions of what it was doing and how to replicate it. Included my email, cell. Now I pray it gets resolved.

Impressed! So many people try to help with input and suggestions. Very nice.

I own a 520 but i got the same thought bout the YUNEEC support... they produce awsome drones, but not supported fm a same level service... without considering the cost of servicing, time you remain without the machine , and most of the time the drone returned not well fixed or with new issues.....,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval