Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Test Video Editing for 1st Time

I started using Corel's VideoStudioX9 recently and thought it was pretty good, will take me a while to master it, here is a tutorial on how to use it which gives an idea of some of its features:

I heard last week that Amazon was starting a service to compete with Youtube and that you could chose to allow free viewing of your videos or charge a subscription. I don't know if it's active yet or not but would be curious how it works out.

Just a thought DC. When filming think to yourself "long, smooth and flowing" No sudden stick movements. Pre plan the flight path then start your run slowly and fly past the point your interested in capturing on each run. When panning the camera or even the UAV be as gentle and smooth as you possibly can.
Here's a video I made last year from my big hexa. It's slightly easier to be smooth when flying a larger UAV (this one weighs almost 7kg).
That was nice Glen ! How do you get your clips to merge slow and smooth when at clip breaks? and what editing software did you use?. I need quite a bit of practice! Do you lower you gains and expo's to fly smoother ! Nice Job !

You have some good video but it's just too long. The hardest thing in editing is cutting out all that footage. BUT....until you can do it, your videos will be too long and no one will watch more than a minute. A 45 second video with lots of movement will always beat out a 5 min. General rules I follow: 1) Keep the length 2-3 min. 2) only use clips where the shot is moving 3) delete pans or anything that has a sudden movement. 4) delete camera tilts 5) try to use 5-10 second clips 6) never show take off and landing. This is hard when you're proud of all that great footage that you think is just going to waste. Trust me.....you have to do it.
With PD14, to make a transition, just grab the clip on the right and drag it left partially over the clip on the left. That will create a fade. You can then double-click the green overlap and adjust the length to 1 or 2 seconds.
Here is an older vid I did while learning the program. I had two major mistakes. One was a blank spot where I forgot to overlap and the other was including a camera tilt. There may be some others, but I did manage to reduce 30 minutes of video to 2 minutes.
BTW, once you upload to youtube, it takes a long time for it to process and even after it says it's published, it will be several minutes before the higher resolutions are completed.

You have some good video but it's just too long. The hardest thing in editing is cutting out all that footage. BUT....until you can do it, your videos will be too long and no one will watch more than a minute. A 45 second video with lots of movement will always beat out a 5 min. General rules I follow: 1) Keep the length 2-3 min. 2) only use clips where the shot is moving 3) delete pans or anything that has a sudden movement. 4) delete camera tilts 5) try to use 5-10 second clips 6) never show take off and landing. This is hard when you're proud of all that great footage that you think is just going to waste. Trust me.....you have to do it.
With PD14, to make a transition, just grab the clip on the right and drag it left partially over the clip on the left. That will create a fade. You can then double-click the green overlap and adjust the length to 1 or 2 seconds.
Here is an older vid I did while learning the program. I had two major mistakes. One was a blank spot where I forgot to overlap and the other was including a camera tilt. There may be some others, but I did manage to reduce 30 minutes of video to 2 minutes.
BTW, once you upload to youtube, it takes a long time for it to process and even after it says it's published, it will be several minutes before the higher resolutions are completed.

Thanks a million for the tips! I do appreciate the wisdom !. When you mean drag right slightly over the left clip after cutting and there is a break between the clips? Since I only used PD14 a few times, the only way I've learned to delete bad clips is to make a break before and after the bad clip and then right click on bad clip and delete it. Is that correct, or is there a better way ? It's not very explanatory and some of the videos I have seen has very stroooong a de accenta' and a mova de cleepa to a de lefta ! LOL Thanks !

That was nice Glen ! How do you get your clips to merge slow and smooth when at clip breaks? and what editing software did you use?. I need quite a bit of practice! Do you lower you gains and expo's to fly smoother ! Nice Job !
I run Linux Ubuntu operating system on my PC not Windows. The editing software is Kdenlive. The fade in and outs are called transitions. There are many to choose from such as hard cuts, fades, dissolves etc. The thing is to not get carried away with "effects" and keep it simple and clean.
Some people try and use every effect their software has to offer and it is distracting.
I do not adjust any parameters for flying. Just small stick inputs. The gimbal I have can pan and tilt at an incredibly slow rate (almost imperceptible if I want) which I have control of from the sliders on the rear of my Tx. They are proportional so the more I move the slider the faster the gimbal moves.
You'll be getting better at editing and flying with every clip you make. Just keep at it my friend.

I run Linux Ubuntu operating system on my PC not Windows. The editing software is Kdenlive. The fade in and outs are called transitions. There are many to choose from such as hard cuts, fades, dissolves etc. The thing is to not get carried away with "effects" and keep it simple and clean.
Some people try and use every effect their software has to offer and it is distracting.
I do not adjust any parameters for flying. Just small stick inputs. The gimbal I have can pan and tilt at an incredibly slow rate (almost imperceptible if I want) which I have control of from the sliders on the rear of my Tx. They are proportional so the more I move the slider the faster the gimbal moves.
You'll be getting better at editing and flying with every clip you make. Just keep at it my friend.
Thanks !

Just a thought DC. When filming think to yourself "long, smooth and flowing" No sudden stick movements. Pre plan the flight path then start your run slowly and fly past the point your interested in capturing on each run. When panning the camera or even the UAV be as gentle and smooth as you possibly can.
Here's a video I made last year from my big hexa. It's slightly easier to be smooth when flying a larger UAV (this one weighs almost 7kg).

Yup, you've got it! It can take people years and years to figure out that slow, easy movements and appropriate sound track make the video. The great thing with editing is you can speed up or slow down such things as well as remove all jerky movements by cutting them out and leaving them on the editing floor. The only other thing that can make a video great is to never leave a segment on the screen for more than several seconds, unless the background music calls for it. Edit, edit, edit and piece everything together cause viewers have a short attention span.

Since were sitting back sharing videos while we wait for the Mother "H", here is one I made of my city recently. I used the premise of one long opening shot followed by many short segments which follow the background music (music can make or break the footage). This video is aimed at the non-Drone fan to enjoy the city from a different perspective.

I'm close to Athen, Tx also. From Gurdon, Ar. I enjoyed the post while waiting on my H. See y'all.

Reactions: DroneClone
Since were sitting back sharing videos while we wait for the Mother "H", here is one I made of my city recently. I used the premise of one long opening shot followed by many short segments which follow the background music (music can make or break the footage). This video is aimed at the non-Drone fan to enjoy the city from a different perspective.

Very well done....

Since we're on a roll;)
I made this video last year too. The shots from the cliffs on the coast were done in VERY strong winds. I don't usually fly when it's this bad but this was the second time I had gone there to film and it's a decent walk especially with all the gear. The wind was coming straight at us plus the updraft off the cliff was insane hence the less than ideal footage.
90% of my flying is done in ATTI mode (no GPS) This mitigates the risk of fly aways. Plus I prefer to do as much of the control work myself rather than the rig, you get much better at flying when you do more of the work. Even my point of interest sweeps are non GPS. I'm a hands on kinda guy:rolleyes:

Thanks well diagnosed ! The song was my nieces piano, she didn't want her name on you tube, so I honored her request, I just got PD14 so I don't even know how to make breaks but cut out what I do not want, and slide the next better ones over. Just the standard Movie Maker that's free with Windows? I used it alittle, but seemed it didn't have much to edit with? may be wrong, Thanks Friend!
DC I use P14 as well and with not much experience. You'll find it easy to use very quickly and it does the job ok.

Reactions: DroneClone
You betcha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements