Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tethered flying & hovering

Reaction score
Hi. somebody who has experience of tethered flying & hoovering? What could the problems be? Overheated motors maybe? The air temperature will not exceed 15-20degrees C
I want to be in the air for about 24hrs documenting elks and hopefully bears.

Best from Sweden

Last edited:
Hi. somebody who has experience of tethered flying & hoovering? What could the problems be? Overheated motors maybe? The air temperature will not exceed 15-20degrees C

Best from Sweden
Why the tethere, or connection as opposed to hovering ? But either way sounds like an awesome project. Whatever you do please share

Why the tethere, or connection as opposed to hovering ? But either way sounds like an awesome project. Whatever you do please share
Hi Johnny, don't really understand your answer...? I want to be in the air continoulsly for approx. 24hrs. I can't land to change battery. That will make the elks or bears to run away.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Well, GOOD LUCK finding a battery that will last that long!!!

Well, GOOD LUCK finding a battery that will last that long!!!

Willie, I don't need a battery, I wanna hear from those who have more experience than me of flyingn "tetherd". I have only tried it once about an hour for 300ft BTW there is a small back-up battery in the drone enough to RTH in case of power black-out. ?
Elistair-Tether-Set_05-1.jpg 400ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC
Well, now I understand...I had no idea anything like that was available!

@Photo,

Do a search both here and Google on “HoverFly” and H520. I know there are discussions about both.

In response to an article about testing the setup for more than twenty four hours (a few days maybe?), I recall making a comment about the setup in one thread, facetiously asking had “in air maintenance protocols” had been developed.

I have not heard of any issues with hovering for extended periods within the discussions. The motors are continuously cooled by their own prop wash. Only if a motor is binding, worn out, or other problems should it overheat, whether hovering or moving.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, especially if you capture any cool video.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubik
Hi Johnny, don't really understand your answer...? I want to be in the air continoulsly for approx. 24hrs. I can't land to change battery. That will make the elks or bears to run away.
I really didn't understand the system, by the looks of things your good to go ? Thats quite the set-up, and seems its perfect for your mission, hopefully it disconnects should a tree branch come into play. Should something happen at least you can find it, are you leaving it all alone, or napping a short distance away ?

Best from Sweden

Attachments

• fahrenheit-to-celsius-chart.gif
    fahrenheit-to-celsius-chart.gif
    61.6 KB · Views: 19
Johnny... let's say about or a litle bit over $2500 - I guess. :cool: So be sure you have your clinents/customers invoice adress before take off.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
If you have the juice to power it and the weight of the tether is very small the motors and ESC’s will handle the duration, no problem. If the weight of the tether increases total aircraft weight above that which it would weigh for normal flight the system will pull more amps than normal, increasing the heat load across the aircraft’s electrical system, which could induce failure. The motors would not be the component that failed. Most likely fuses or ESC’s.

Reactions: Mike Irish
If you have the juice to power it and the weight of the tether is very small the motors and ESC’s will handle the duration, no problem. If the weight of the tether increases total aircraft weight above that which it would weigh for normal flight the system will pull more amps than normal, increasing the heat load across the aircraft’s electrical system, which could induce failure. The motors would not be the component that failed. Most likely fuses or ESC’s.
Thanx Pat, as I probably don't have to fly max than 40-50meter the weight of the tether will be reasonable.

I may be wrong here but I'm sure that the Solo 3DR was tethered to a Hoverfly system for several days without a motor failing. You would have to do a search to find the video and it was 6 years or so ago.

Found it:

Last edited:

Best from Sweden
I may be wrong here but I'm sure that the Solo 3DR was tethered to a Hoverfly system for several days without a motor failing. You would have to do a search to find the video and it was 6 years or so ago.

Found it:
Thanx Addison, very interestering info and more to read. From what I now know the props airflow will keep the motors cool.

I own the Hoverfly system for the Typhoon H and it works perfectly. I have not done a 24 hour hover, max for me was a high school football game this fall. About 4 hours total. No issues what so ever.

Johnny... let's say about or a litle bit over $2500 - I guess. :cool: So be sure you have your clinents/customers invoice adress before take off.
The Hoverfly system retails for $4,500. The Elistar system pictured above is close to $15,000. The Elistar system included a live downlink so you can have live video feed and flight control right from the unit!
The Hoverfly system uses a unit that replaces the flight battery and allows a constant power source. The tether has 165 volts of power running through it.

Thanx Addison, very interestering info and more to read. From what I now know the props airflow will keep the motors cool.

You will get a lot of negative information from people who have only read about tethered flying so be selective when dealing with it.

Sounds like an awesome project btw!

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone