Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The physics of drone flight

It's all physics. Besides the fact that a drone is using the props to stay in the air seemingly defying gravity (Bernoulli's principle as it applies to lift) props are essentially rotating wings, you can also see how the physics of this applies to maneuvering in space. Replace the props with gyroscopes on different axis and use angular momentum to change directions in all 3. Counter rotation to hold position and a change in angular momentum to turn. Thrust is obviously another issue in space but the same physics applies, i.e. pushing against something (Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction) Braking is thrust in the opposite direction.

Whats changed to make this all possible is the development of MEMS sensors to sense positional changes in space, or barometric readings (but that's another topic). Constant feedback from the sensors allows for near instantaneous speed correction of the props to either hold position or change direction. It would be nearly impossible to control without a computer constantly making micro adjustments to the motors. It's the computer and fly by wire which is doing all the heavy lifting for the pilot, i.e. (good or bad), just about anyone can fly now.

It wasn't that long ago that RC gyros were electomechanical, (big spinning discs for each axis). Take the technological advancements of reducing weight and power, improved energy density and weight reduction of batteries and the convergence of technologies has made all of this possible. What a great time to be alive.

It's all physics. Besides the fact that a drone is using the props to stay in the air seemingly defying gravity (Bernoulli's principle as it applies to lift) props are essentially rotating wings, you can also see how the physics of this applies to maneuvering in space. Replace the props with gyroscopes on different axis and use angular momentum to change directions in all 3. Counter rotation to hold position and a change in angular momentum to turn. Thrust is obviously another issue in space but the same physics applies, i.e. pushing against something (Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction) Braking is thrust in the opposite direction.

Whats changed to make this all possible is the development of MEMS sensors to sense positional changes in space, or barometric readings (but that's another topic). Constant feedback from the sensors allows for near instantaneous speed correction of the props to either hold position or change direction. It would be nearly impossible to control without a computer constantly making micro adjustments to the motors. It's the computer and fly by wire which is doing all the heavy lifting for the pilot, i.e. (good or bad), just about anyone can fly now.

It wasn't that long ago that RC gyros were electomechanical, (big spinning discs for each axis). Take the technological advancements of reducing weight and power, improved energy density and weight reduction of batteries and the convergence of technologies has made all of this possible. What a great time to be alive.
Now if the could only figure a way to make the batteries lighter and more powerful.

Reactions: Racepro60
Excellent, simple narrative. When I'm out flying, I get the question all the time..."but how does it turn?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patynowy