Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

third party charging lead for yuneec typhoon h3

This must be different in Texas in regards to the batteries 5250 thas is supplied for the H3? Here in Europe it comes with the LiHV 5250mAh 4s 15.2v(79Wh) pack.
It's the same thing. HV is just a LiPo rated for high-voltage.

It's really disappointing that they changed the gimbal and batteries, but it's obviously for the battery so we'll catch up on batteries as we refresh our fleet. I am REALLY hoping the USA Team starts responding and interacts with us. They went silent for a while.

It's the same thing. HV is just a LiPo rated for high-voltage.

It's really disappointing that they changed the gimbal and batteries, but it's obviously for the battery so we'll catch up on batteries as we refresh our fleet. I am REALLY hoping the USA Team starts responding and interacts with us. They went silent for a while.

Yea but the worn you on eich QUALITY charger to select LiHV only for that type of battery for safety reasons as there charged at a higher rate. Never charge a standard Lipo on the LiHv setting. :(

The voltage ratings for the LiHV cells is 3.85V nominal voltage (15.4V on a 4S pack) and full voltage is 4.35V per cell giving 17.4V total.

Some FPV Racing pilots charge them to 4.4V or even 4.45V per cell. They do this to get extra punch for acceleration. The down side to that is a greatly reduced battery life from the overcharge. The way we use our UAV’s does not require that.

Some confusion comes about with seeing nominal voltage being 15.2 or 15.4 volts. This is due to some sources listing the nominal voltage of LiHV at 3.8V instead of 3.85V.

Storage voltage for the LiHV cells is 3.90 to 3.95 volts/cell as opposed to LiPo cells being stored at 3.8 to 3.85volts/cell.

Given the storage capacities of the two mentioned batteries 5250mAh and 6200mAh their Max charging rates at 1C are 5.25A and 6.2A respectively.

Yea but the worn you on eich QUALITY charger to select LiHV only for that type of battery for safety reasons as there charged at a higher rate. Never charge a standard Lipo on the LiHv setting. :(
Just as @DoomMeister eluded to. In RC Car Racing we charge HV packs at up to 20amps for performance reasons. You need to charge on an HV setting, but at a lower amperage for a drone more like 5 amps. We are interested in flight time not performance. The charger I posted is very good at balancing and does it both directions. You can actually see it live activity on each cell so it's easy to see when a pack starts having trouble. Get a 10-20amp power supply and charge at 5 amps and the batteries will last much longer. The DY5 was a joke and constantly pushed individual cells over their capability to try to match the other cells... I bought them Venom 4-port and it was much better, but still struggled with unmatched packs.

Here's the post.

disassembled the oem charger. this is going to be fun to mod. atleast they labeled the balance leads now to find out where the ground and power is. the solder points are on the top side of the unit not the under side. will have to remove the buzzer to be able to weld new charge lines up making unit passive. actually looks like the charge plug connector daughter board itself is removable from the charger main board. if so that may make it much easier to make it a passive unit for a third part charger.

disassembled the oem charger. this is going to be fun to mod. atleast they labeled the balance leads now to find out where the ground and power is. the solder points are on the top side of the unit not the under side. will have to remove the buzzer to be able to weld new charge lines up making unit passive. actually looks like the charge plug connector daughter board itself is removable from the charger main board. if so that may make it much easier to make it a passive unit for a third part charger.
Way more patience than me my friend. After an hour I am spending more than my self-worth...

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
Would you mind posting photos of your mod to the charger? Or did you change your mind about it?

Would you mind posting photos of your mod to the charger? Or did you change your mind about it?
I agree but even a short video might help out even better.
Mike

working on photos now taken with e90 issues with camera being blurry.

Attachments

• YUN_0002.JPG
    YUN_0002.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • YUN_0003.JPG
    YUN_0003.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 13
  • YUN_0004.JPG
    YUN_0004.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 11
  • YUN_0005.JPG
    YUN_0005.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • YUN_0006.JPG
    YUN_0006.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • YUN_0007.JPG
    YUN_0007.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 10
  • YUN_0008.JPG
    YUN_0008.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 12
higher res with glass ring removed. should be improved pictures. note pic 19 you can make out the balance wire connections

Attachments

• YUN_0011.JPG
    YUN_0011.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 11
  • YUN_0014.JPG
    YUN_0014.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 9
  • YUN_0016.JPG
    YUN_0016.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 9
  • YUN_0017.JPG
    YUN_0017.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 12
  • YUN_0018.JPG
    YUN_0018.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 12
  • YUN_0019.JPG
    YUN_0019.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: chascoadmin
higher res with glass ring removed. should be improved pictures. note pic 19 you can make out the balance wire conneThe main thing I saw was that the low-res setting didn't seem to be able to adjust focus as well. You can see in this picture that the background is actually in a decent state of focus...

Interesting. Main thing I saw is that it appeared to be more of a focal length issue because the background on this image seem pretty decent.

1605872581256.png

Thanks for the better photos!

It appears there are two terminals for each connection to the battery for balance charging. Most likely only the outer two terminals on each side are connected in the aircraft. Those will be the main leads for charging. The balance leads will go from the negative main lead toward the positive end.

I appreciate your efforts. We all want to learn all we can about the new system.

should get my third party charger that supports the h520e batteries today. the pre assembled charging cable is being shipped from france.

should get my third party charger that supports the h520e batteries today. the pre assembled charging cable is being shipped from france.
I would recommend it. There are companies out there that have been developing sophisticated chargers for LiPo's for years that are better than what the drone community is pushing right now. Turnigy and iCharger are probably the most popular in those markets. Even though just make sure that whatever you get has balancing in both directions.

took a while to find it most vendors do not charge at 4.4volts that h520e oem battery requires.
I am still leery of that figure of 4.4 volts per cell. They are supposedly using LiHV battery chemistry which would stop at 4.35 volts/cell. I’m wondering if they are just rounding up to the nearest tenth.

This is why I have been trying to get in touch with Yuneec USA. Living with inconclusive information from the Yuneec websites (worldwide, not just the US) is frustrating. We don’t want people spending money on things they don’t need to or that won’t work with their system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio