Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tips for new Yuneec Owners

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
One of the most important things you can do is to fully read and understand the manual for your new aircraft.

1. Inspect your aircraft and batteries

Before you head out to fly, make sure that the batteries in your remote controller and aircraft including any spares are all fully charged. You never want to have to land just when you've found a beautiful scene to film or photograph, and batteries sometimes are not completely accurate when showing their charged status. To avoid any such worries, charge your batteries until they are all fully charged, and then head out and fly.

Check that all propellers are securely mounted to the motors and that none of them are damaged or worn. Inspect the rest of the aircraft and replace or repair damaged parts before flight.

2. Calibrate your compass before taking off

Before you take off from a new site, you should always calibrate your compass. Each location has slightly different electromagnetic profiles and for best performance and most accurate positioning, you should calibrate for each specific location.

3. Fly in open, outdoor areas

Always choose a wide open area for every flight, well away from people and property. Head out to a large field or similar open space, with no or few trees and buildings. This way, you can more easily focus on learning to operate your aircraft and take your mind off having to precisely control the aircraft to avoid trees and other obstacles.

4. Do not fly over or near people and animals

Another thing to keep in mind when you choose where to fly is to make sure that it isn't crowded with either people or animals as a measure of safety. Though small and harmless, drones may still scare or irritate people and animals that are not used to seeing them. You want to make sure that our hobby has a positive impact on everyone you may encounter, so please be mindful of others when flying.

5. Fly no higher than 400 ft or below structures

In the U.S., the maximum allowed recommended height for flying hobby aircraft is 400 ft., so as to not interfere with full scale aircraft in the regular airspace. It is also advised that you do not fly under any type of structures as that may cause magnetic interference that disturbs the compass in your aircraft. It could also block or degrade the GPS signal and make you lose contact with your aircraft.

6. Maintain your line of sight

Even though your aircraft is capable of flying long distances, you should still be careful to maintain a line of sight to your aircraft at all times. If you fly behind obstacles such as buildings or mountains you can easily lose orientation or have difficulty returning home when your batteries start to deplete.

7. Be aware of orientation and maintain full control

To make it easier for yourself, take off with the aircraft oriented with the camera facing forward. This way, it will be much easier for you to know where the camera is pointed when you want to capture a video or photo.

Modern GPS enabled aircraft are incredibly easy to use thanks to the integrated software and hardware and the smart functionality they offer. However, you should still make sure to always have full control over your aircraft, even when using automatic functions such as auto-takeoff and auto-landing. Keep both hands on the control sticks to maintain control throughout each flight.

One of the most important things you can do is to fully read and understand the manual for your new aircraft.

Before you head out to fly, make sure that the batteries in your remote controller and aircraft including any spares are all fully charged. You never want to have to land just when you've found a beautiful scene to film or photograph, and batteries sometimes are not completely accurate when showing their charged status. To avoid any such worries, charge your batteries until they are all fully charged, and then head out and fly.

Check that all propellers are securely mounted to the motors and that none of them are damaged or worn. Inspect the rest of the aircraft and replace or repair damaged parts before flight.

Before you take off from a new site, you should always calibrate your compass. Each location has slightly different electromagnetic profiles and for best performance and most accurate positioning, you should calibrate for each specific location.

Always choose a wide open area for every flight, well away from people and property. Head out to a large field or similar open space, with no or few trees and buildings. This way, you can more easily focus on learning to operate your aircraft and take your mind off having to precisely control the aircraft to avoid trees and other obstacles.

Another thing to keep in mind when you choose where to fly is to make sure that it isn't crowded with either people or animals as a measure of safety. Though small and harmless, drones may still scare or irritate people and animals that are not used to seeing them. You want to make sure that our hobby has a positive impact on everyone you may encounter, so please be mindful of others when flying.

In the U.S., the maximum allowed recommended height for flying hobby aircraft is 400 ft., so as to not interfere with full scale aircraft in the regular airspace. It is also advised that you do not fly under any type of structures as that may cause magnetic interference that disturbs the compass in your aircraft. It could also block or degrade the GPS signal and make you lose contact with your aircraft.

Even though your aircraft is capable of flying long distances, you should still be careful to maintain a line of sight to your aircraft at all times. If you fly behind obstacles such as buildings or mountains you can easily lose orientation or have difficulty returning home when your batteries start to deplete.

To make it easier for yourself, take off with the aircraft oriented with the camera facing forward. This way, it will be much easier for you to know where the camera is pointed when you want to capture a video or photo.

Modern GPS enabled aircraft are incredibly easy to use thanks to the integrated software and hardware and the smart functionality they offer. However, you should still make sure to always have full control over your aircraft, even when using automatic functions such as auto-takeoff and auto-landing. Keep both hands on the control sticks to maintain control throughout each flight.
.Good advice, except I only have one hand to put on the controls. I can fly the more stable toy quads by moving my hand from the throttle/yaw stick to the roll/pitch stick I had extensive RC experience, mainly with electric RC buggy in the 1980s and a little experience flying real Cessna 152s, also in the 1980's. When a stroke deprived me of the use of my left arm and hand, I figured I could learn to cope somewhat. I have, but it gets very frustrating at times.

I am new to the Yuneec family, have a DJI P3 for 8 months flew flawless the whole time till last firmware upgrade, took it out after all safety checks and calibrations and it flew crazily away uncontrollably, with full satellites, GPS Safe to Fly, and RTH and Atti Mode would not engage at all!. Crashed 1/4 mile away and tracked it with the GPS on my ipad. Found it, battery was on fire, body not real bad, but gimbal and camera trashed. Sending back to DJI. I am wondering if the Typhoon H is going to be better than the P4? I know neither is out yet, but can any of you more experienced Yuneec pilots tell me if you have flown both DJI and Yuneec, which one you feel is a better product, does on have less flyways, less firmware issues, more stable. I am not worried about distance so much because I normally maintain flos. Just need expert first had input from you all on your opinions. Your imput is greatly appreciated!( I do have alot of years flying RC's so not uneducated about procedures)

Reactions: AML
I am new buyer in quadcopter , my first drone is H501S , I think this model is a trainer type . the speed is not such delicacy . so it more easily controlled by new user . drone crash is not happened so easily . it's actually a trainer drone .my Chinese friend told me , this model's Chinese name is bad boy . I BUY it on a new site and pay it by my credit card . so easy ...Hubsan H501S X4 5.8G FPV RTF Quadcopter with 1080P HD Camera GPS RC

I Hope this Forum stays the way it is. And does not get to many of the I don't want to Register my Drone or be part of the FAA types. From what I have seen so far it has a grate bunch of folks with good input to help others.

Reactions: Breezy51

As a new Yuneec owner, I recommend at least for the few first test flights on any new drone, remove the camera and fly it without it! That way if it drops out of the sky for whatever reason due to system or pilot error, at least the most expensive item the camera will not be damaged while the kinks are worked out of the new drone! I also lost 2 props that broke in half on first flight today when smart mode failed and it lost altitude.

I updated the firmware today after the video portion of the camera stopped working. now the Controller will not connect to the H.
It wants a password. I will call Yuneec in the morning.

Reactions: FLDirector19
#2 states to calibrate at new location
Q, won't the H signal a loss of compas calibration?

An other important point in cold aereas:
Start never with cold batteries !!!
The power of cold batteries goes rapididly down after 3 to 5 minutes
and there is not enugh time for landing your Typhoon H. I already had two crashes with cold batteries.
I don't know excactly the critical temperatur but I imagin it's below 10 degrees celsius. Your Co-Pilot

I updated the firmware today after the video portion of the camera stopped working. now the Controller will not connect to the H.
It wants a password. I will call Yuneec in the morning.
Did you try the default password ? I understood it was 1234567890.
I got into a bind problem and it worked.
Hope it helps !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval