Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tower flights and inteference

Reaction score
was at a local tower site " by invitation ", to look at paint at top of 400 foot tower. started at the bottom and about 40 feet from tower latterly, lost video and intermittent GPS signal. Enough to make me fly manually back down. The tower was hot and unabled to shut down the microwave and 6GHZ antennas while flying. any suggestions to avoid future crashes while flying tower sites with Q5004K.

Thanks from another rookie pilot.

Charles
[email protected]

Charles,

No personal experience, just research (reading here) and logic tells me the following technique(s) would be in play if I were to attempt. [Disclaimer: this is not a recommendation; just thinking out loud.]

If the tower is hot, as you say, one would definitely want to avoid flying directly in the path of any active transmitter.

Choose a “side” away from those transmitters, if possible, and... come at the tower from a good distance away. Nothing says one has to take off right next to the subject! Of course, logistics of the job site dictate the options available.

In my attempts, I would try to take advantage of the (U. S.) regulations. One can be 400 above a structure if within a 400 foot radius of the structure.

Perhaps coming at the tower from a distance, and above the tower, will reduce the interference probabilities.

Just remember, you gotta go back the same way, so battery reserve is an important factor in one’s flight plan. Also, be prepared to abort and get out if unexpected and potentially catastrophic anomalies arise.

My bet is @PatR and others will chime in to offer their own advice or refute what I just posted. If incorrect, I will remove. [emoji41]

Good luck! Please let us know if you proceed and thus your techniques and success.

Jeff

Last edited:
With the rule changes from the 2018 FAA Reauthorization, the 400 foot above s structure within a 400 foot radius only applies to 107 certified pilots in Class G airspace. If you are in Class B, C, D, or Surface E airspace you have to request further coordination to fly above the posted ceiling for the sector/s involved with the flight.

From what I have read in other groups, the round dome shaped transmitters are the ones you should not fly in front of as they will interfere with your communication with the drone. Outside of that many have said you are safe to fly in the vicinity of the tower.

Not an expert, only passing on what I have read.

You might check with the UAV commercial groups and ask.

Airports employ a 360* search radar that realistically only differs from military hardware in power level. Even at the lower power level it can “paint” a wood and fabric airplane so it’s still pretty powerful. If the radar cannot be shut down there is still a possibility of lost flight control even at reduced power levels. Check with the airport manager to determine if radar can be shut down in sectors to allow shooting in a radar null zone. There is no way to harden a Yuneec flight control system to counter air search radar.

You might try talking with the airport manager to discuss reducing the radar power during your inspection period and releasing a NOTAM to warn manned pilots of a brief period of reduced coverage. Plan your inspection around typical periods of light air traffic.

Anticipate loss of GPS and performing the flight manually. Allow a little extra space between the camera and the target.

Reactions: oldcaptainrusty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval