Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TYPHOON H - Battery Review - Increase your flight time - Powerextra

After spending hours and hours reading all the comments, watching all the flight test on these different batteries and keeping logs of my own use of these different brands I believe it will always be a luck of the draw due to the lack of quality control when these batteries are built.. especially the less expensive after market batteries.. From my own experience the stock batteries that came with the drone have all lasted more then two times longer then the cheaper aftermarket batteries.. With the aftermarket batteries I have found it to be hit or miss if the battery swells up on the 1st flight or the 50th flight.. If your lucky to make it to 50 flights..
The Powerextra 6300mah for my Q500 didn't even give me 20 flights before they both swelled.. there is no recourse , they do not honor there warranty, and until everyone stops buying there batteries until they improve quality control we will continue to get crap..

Love it! Pat, I didn't post the video in this thread.... But I will respond. You do realize that sometimes you are like one of the two old guys on the muppet show that sit up in the balcony ready with glass "less than half full" comments. :)

My videos are "fun videos" but the results are always real. I think like the average camera drone pilot who just wishes to go out and have fun and not take things too seriously. The tests in the video were 2 of many I could have done and the results are real from the perspective of an everyday drone pilot. I didn't fly under controlled environmental circumstances and I didn't x-ray or analyze the plastic and chemicals used in the battery construction. There was nothing scientific in the video.... just real world flying that any drone pilot would do.

I still love the Muppets Pat!

I'm the other old guy, just not as old as Pat. Having flushed my share of battery money down the toilet, the big stuff, I tend to be more picky what goes on the more valuable equipment. So far the Tattu doesn't disappoint. The GiFi was junk IMO. It's in the "junk" yard now, didn't last 6 months. On the last flight the battery it felt like it was ready to spontaneously combust :)

With age comes experience. If you pay attention you learn something along the way. One of them is that things aren't always what they seem, especialy with RC equipment.

Last edited:
My 'lipo-age' is just a few months (since februari this year), but one of my Yuneec batteries is puffing up already. It is the one that has the least number of cycles.

Things happen but forgive me for a moment. What was the lowest voltage under load that battery has ever been driven to, the longest period of time it has been stored fully charged, has it been left sitting in a hot vehicle, and do you re-charge immediately after flying? All of those impact battery survival. You don't have to answer but do please think about it.

Reactions: Rayray
Lowest voltage: I always try to avoid battery warnings, though this has happened occasionally.
Longest storage charged: about a week
Never leave it in drone but let it cool down.
Recharge not immediately after flying, but in a few hours.

Have bought intelligent charger one month ago, so did the storage-charging 'on the fly' with standard charger.

As mentioned, things do happen and there will always be the one battery in a group that gives up early.

Hi Typilot, I have used my 4 Gifi 8050mA batteries for about 8 month and approx 30 charges/discharges and so far no puffing and I am satisfied. The flight time is about 20-25% longer than TH stock.

I believe our battery problem is caused by poor quality control. . The cheap battery is made by a company that is only worried about how fast and how cheap they can produce them so there not going to pay for quality control which requires paying more help.. I've been flying models for over 40 years and even when electric first came out with our RC cars there were high dollar NiCad's with matched cells that we raced with because they gave us the full voltage for a 4 min heat race and then there were the NiCad's at half the price that Tower came out with that only lasted half the life span that we let our kids use in there r/c cars.. I've done a pretty good search through all the forums and for the cheaper knockoffs it seams the GiFi batteries are winning the race.. My PowerXtra batteries puffed up with less then 20 flights and the seller wouldn't honor any of the stated replacement warranties that were implied except a 10 percent discount on the next batteries I buy.. I've heard many state they have had good luck with there Powerxtra batteries but I think its all going to fall back to the luck of the draw due to Quality Control.. Flying Commercial I prefer the piece of mind with the proven little more expensive batteries.. The cost of my drone's mean something to me..

fly101... Do you mean that GiFi 8050mA batteries are among the worst in the market? Or?

This is good to know. Thanks for the tip on the GiFi batteries. The other brands may be less expensive but if they puff after a few flights then there goes any savings on the cheaper lipo. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I believe I posted in another thread about this same video. Guess I will again, but abbreviated:

- first two Yuneec batteries: diminished flight times. I had not learned of the care and feeding of LiPo.

- next three Yuneec: going strong after about a year. (I learned real good.)

- two PowerExtra: never better than my abused originals - meaning the two I received were not good. I waited too long, otherwise I would have asked for replacements to give them another chance. Regardless, learned my lesson. No “buy again” for this guy.

- GensTatu: bought two this past fall after recommendation from PatR. (I try to respect my elders!) - they last long and prosper!!! Very happy with the performance as well as price. Highly recommend. Just hope it wasn’t dumb luck.

- future? Saving for H520 batteries.

Jeff

I believe I posted in another thread about this same video. Guess I will again, but abbreviated:

- first two Yuneec batteries: diminished flight times. I had not learned of the care and feeding of LiPo.

- next three Yuneec: going strong after about a year. (I learned real good.)

- two PowerExtra: never better than my abused originals - meaning the two I received were not good. I waited too long, otherwise I would have asked for replacements to give them another chance. Regardless, learned my lesson. No “buy again” for this guy.

- GensTatu: bought two this past fall after recommendation from PatR. (I try to respect my elders!) - they last long and prosper!!! Very happy with the performance as well as price. Highly recommend. Just hope it wasn’t dumb luck.

- future? Saving for H520 batteries.

Jeff
That's good to know. I was thinking about giving the Gens ace lipos a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Just found this review by Captain Drone of the new H Powerextra battery. This is available from Amazon in the UK. After seeing the review it look as as if at £69.99 it is worth a try. My Yuneec batteries have been used for just over a year now and I have had a couple of unexpected low battery warnings. I think some of these may be worth a try - Captain Drone is a realistic reviewer.

BTW the battery is 6300 and comes with a Lipo bag.

Add: Just found another review by Jeff Sibelius

Really like the PowerExtra batteries; bought from Amazon US. The aircraft performs better and am getting about five minutes per battery more flight time than the stock Yuneec batteries. Flew today in 42 degree Fahrenheit weather for 29 minutes across two batteries, which included a couple of minutes to calibrate the compass and install the props on the first flight. I brought it home after the first battery warning for both batteries. Looking forward to warmer days and expecting longer flight times. In warmer weather I am confident I can stretch a bit past the first warning. Will order more soonest.

I like these batteries as well (I have 2) although I've not noticed significantly longer flight times. I like to plan to land just before or at the first warning. Flying a couple of extra minutes isn't worth the chance for bad things for me.

I like these batteries as well (I have 2) although I've not noticed significantly longer flight times. I like to plan to land just before or at the first warning. Flying a couple of extra minutes isn't worth the chance for bad things for me.

Experience and advice also says longer overall life if not stressed too much. Battery and pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss