Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TYPHOON H - Battery Review - Increase your flight time - Powerextra

Experience and advice also says longer overall life if not stressed as much. Battery and pilot.

Yeah, I tend to fly like an old lady. :D . Plan the flight, fly the plan. Probably sounds boring but....

Flying at top speed and quick moves make for poor videos and stills for me. Nothing wrong with high speed and acrobatics but for me that would mean getting a racing drone not a camera drone.

Yeah, I tend to fly like an old lady. :D . Plan the flight, fly the plan. Probably sounds boring but....

Flying at top speed and quick moves make for poor videos and stills for me. Nothing wrong with high speed and acrobatics but for me that would mean getting a racing drone not a camera drone.

“Small moves, Ellie. Small moves!”

Reactions: MarkC and rdonson
I'm coming up a year with two stock Yuneec batteries and a single Ultrax 6300 (Gensace&Tattu) battery, fortunately I went to LiPo school (poorly treated and puffed batteries) on a previous aircraft. I have dutifully maintained and rotated battery use between the three and their current flight times are all still within a minute if each other. If I needed new batteries I would not hesitate to to replace all with the Ultrax. Like Jeff, I'm saving up for stocking up on the H Plus gear.

P.S. @NorWiscPilot - Notice the date today?;)

I'm coming up a year with two stock Yuneec batteries and a single Ultrax 6300 (Gensace&Tattu) battery, fortunately I went to LiPo school (poorly treated and puffed batteries) on a previous aircraft. I have dutifully maintained and rotated battery use between the three and their current flight times are all still within a minute if each other. If I needed new batteries I would not hesitate to to replace all with the Ultrax. Like Jeff, I'm saving up for stocking up on the H Plus gear.

P.S. @NorWiscPilot - Notice the date today?;)

Wow! Didn’t even think about it!

I have to admit, I have learned so much more in this past year by reading and actively participating in discussions. I truly believe in the “be confident in what one says”. Hence, I try to make sure I’ve researched before spouting off, if that makes sense. Thus, I make sure I “learn” something.

Thanks for the anniversary reminder, Ty!

Jeff

Special thanks to Steve, Ray, PatR, Ty, a couple Bobs, and many more for making this a most enjoyable experience and sharing of thoughts and ideas.

So true, rdonson. Sounds like your flying style is not different from mine: Nice smooth moves and no showing off. Makes good video that can be speeded up in post if necessary. I always plan my flights. I have one particular commercial operation coming up in a week or so time that was all planned up at the end of January including an on-site assessment, so that flight was planned at least a month in advance! (the flight is in a park where a permission needed to be obtained).

Reactions: rdonson
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't two-cents or any cents for that matter. I'm new to the H and bought two of the Powerextra batteries off Ebay. Got them and put them on my Venom Produo Charger. At 16.8V and 4.2 pre cell thought I was ready to go. I only got about 8 minutes of flight time and the top of the H was very hot. I tried another cycle on the charger, with the same results as before, 8 minutes hot drone. I could see if one battery acted like that, but both. I'm I doing something wrong?

Are you flying flat out? Max speed ascents?
No, not a speed demon, just like to do photo's and videos. Never get out of turtle mode. On the ST16 screen it gives me 16.7V and as soon as I harm the motors it drops to 15.7V. Then within 8 minutes it's at 14.6V which is when I land.

Does the top of H get hot and the battaries do not heat up exessively?
That would be an odd thing to note.
Yes the top of the Drone is very hot but not the battery. When I use the standard battery the came with the drone, the top is cool and the battery is warm.

No, not a speed demon, just like to do photo's and videos. Never get out of turtle mode. On the ST16 screen it gives me 16.7V and as soon as I harm the motors it drops to 15.7V. Then within 8 minutes it's at 14.6V which is when I land.

Tom,

I don’t notice a “hot top” but your experiences are very similar to mine with these PowerExtra batteries. The duration is much less than expected. I rarely use them for anything but calibrations and short, close proximity flights.

Mine were purchased about 9 months ago and have been acting the same since day one.

Jeff

Reactions: TomC9000
Tom,

I don’t notice a “hot top” but your experiences are very similar to mine with these PowerExtra batteries. The duration is much less than expected. I rarely use them for anything but calibrations and short, close proximity flights.

Mine were purchased about 9 months ago and have been acting the same since day one.

Jeff
Yes having only about 8 minutes of flight is sad when I thought it would be at least the same as the standard battery, but the HOT drone after flight is what worries me the most.

Weather plays large in aircraft temp. Black absorbs heat, white reflects heat. Weather conditions weren’t mentioned but if it was a bright sunny day the fuselage top will heat up rather quickly.

There’s always a “but”... If the cells used in battery manufacture are of a very low quality, or low “C” rating, the system demand can exceed the ability of the battery to supply it. When such happens a considerable amount of heat can be generated. C rating is one of the issues some have with “proprietary” batteries. Makers don’t provide a C rating for their “special” batteries so we don’t know what we are getting. Capacity alone is not end all and be all for what a battery will do for us. We need to know the amp loading a system will demand and select a battery that can deliver it.

Weather plays large in aircraft temp. Black absorbs heat, white reflects heat. Weather conditions weren’t mentioned but if it was a bright sunny day the fuselage top will heat up rather quickly.

There’s always a “but”... If the cells used in battery manufacture are of a very low quality, or low “C” rating, the system demand can exceed the ability of the battery to supply it. When such happens a considerable amount of heat can be generated. C rating is one of the issues some have with “proprietary” batteries. Makers don’t provide a C rating for their “special” batteries so we don’t know what we are getting. Capacity alone is not end all and be all for what a battery will do for us. We need to know the amp loading a system will demand and select a battery that can deliver it.
Just a normal day, not to hot. The thing is with the Powerextra battery in and only 8 minutes it got very hot, then let it cool down and put the Power 4 battery with 18 minutes of flight, no warmth at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval