Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CG03+ Camera for NDVI and UAVtoolbox

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanting to know if anyone has added a filter lense for the CG03+ for NIR? I’m trying to use the camera for NVDI capture and mapping. which brings up my second question what software have you used for do the NVDI calculation?

Is the UAVtoolbox software only a map planning software? I’m being told I will need to load the the captured data into PixD to derive the NDVI Calc. Looking for someone who has done this with the Ty H

Thanks

Haven’t done it... but have looked at the lens & NVID filter placed at back of lens by Peau Produtions. For NVID, they recommended their RGN filter lens which is a NIR with R + G.
3.37mm f/2.8 87d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions

While looking into options, I found a multispectra camera designed for AG and NVID. The Parrot Sequoia, pricey @ $3500. https://www.micasense.com/parrot-sequoia/
Basically mount on any drone.

Works with Pix4d software.
Sequoia - Pix4D

It can be mounted in multiple ways... 2 pieces: GPS and UV sensor on top and Multispectrum on belly. The UV sunshine is to provide data to allow Pix4d to adjust the field for changing sunshine and reflection differences.

Was also entertaining using the GB203 with GoPro mount and modifying to fit. Scattered posts on some using with H.

All have a hefty price tag, the Sequoia & Pix4d core program.
Haven’t decided if that was cost effective at this stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: inlikeflint
Meant to include... The site also sales the big brother: RedEdge to the Sequoia, which includes Ag in it's capabilities. Although, I didn't see a UV Sunlight sensor listed as part of the RedEdge. Both are about the size of a GoPro.
rededge-m

Reactions: inlikeflint
Meant to include... The site also sales the big brother: RedEdge to the Sequoia, which includes Ag in it's capabilities. Although, I didn't see a UV Sunlight sensor listed as part of the RedEdge. Both are about the size of a GoPro.
rededge-m

Thanks Doug the Pix4DAG is way outside my budget range. Someone was trying to convince me I could change filters on the CGO3+ and have a shift into the NIR, but I haven,t had any luck proving this out.

Thanks Doug the Pix4DAG is way outside my budget range. Someone was trying to convince me I could change filters on the CGO3+ and have a shift into the NIR, but I haven,t had any luck proving this out.
I'd agree... it's a significant investment for a very narrow market, depending if your area had enough clients; my area has the client density but currently the majority have no interest in purchasing the service at a cost to invest.

Regarding the CG03+ with attached RGN filters. It's not removable, so you'll need 1-2 extra CGO3+ cameras. That is a good option and in comparison much lower cost. Theoretically won't produce the optimal results compared to a multi spectrum with UV for equalizing the readings. But applicable results it will produce.

That still requires the software to produce the final images and to produce the usable applicable Ag Data. I can find image software, but few will work with RGN to process the NVID data and provide the client with a matrix to consider next years applications. The Pix4d and it's added modules to my understanding provide the interpetations of the data.

Reactions: YuneecFox
I'd agree... it's a significant investment for a very narrow market, depending if your area had enough clients; my area has the client density but currently the majority have no interest in purchasing the service at a cost to invest.

Regarding the CG03+ with attached RGN filters. It's not removable, so you'll need 1-2 extra CGO3+ cameras. That is a good option and in comparison much lower cost. Theoretically won't produce the optimal results compared to a multi spectrum with UV for equalizing the readings. But applicable results it will produce.

That still requires the software to produce the final images and to produce the usable applicable Ag Data. I can find image software, but few will work with RGN to process the NVID data and provide the client with a matrix to consider next years applications. The Pix4d and it's added modules to my understanding provide the interpetations of the data.

Thanks again for your additional information. I did not realize the peau productions RGN lens or the NDVI are not removable.

It is also my understanding the the Pix4D will work with actual data produced.

Have you used the UAVtoolbox software for collection?

Thanks again for your additional information. I did not realize the peau productions RGN lens or the NDVI are not removable.
It is also my understanding the the Pix4D will work with actual data produced.
Have you used the UAVtoolbox software for collection?

Found a great new source for NDVI and NIR conversions. It's what they specialize in... for Ag and other applications. They don't list the CGO3+ or any Yuneec but keep in mind the CGO3+ lenses are same as GoPro size & dimensions.

Info Site of the company:
ndvi-8
Store site of company:
hero4-lenses

On your other question: Yes, as long as you can generate standard data format, pretty much any of the Ag programs can work to display and interpret the NDVI.

Another Source found... that has a full package kit to mount under any Drone. On Yuneec you'd need to use UAVToolbox for lack of any other 3rd party support. If DJI you'd have a wide selection of grid, map, NDVI tools to utilize.
The Sentera is a dedicated Ag NDVI and NIR solution.
Mapping, Analysis toolset, Data Display & Reports toolset , Your Client access cloud, etc.
agriculture-solutions

On this vendors site, watch the Video - about 3/4 down page.
Sentera NDVI Webinar - great explanation of NDVI groundwork.
agriculture.html

Checking if you've taken any direction with your NDVI project.

I'm still in gathering mode, I have plenty of time before I'll actually be using the NDVI Ag usage. Waiting for a few new things around the corner to develop in new range capture, lower cost cameras for Normalized Difference of Vegetation Index (NDVI), and new multi-capture methods. The IRMod NDVI8 is a new one, it captures additional spectrum to allow your presentation maps to display additional data, as example: differential of standing field water vs sand, or the similar non-IR reflective surfaces. Other new technology improving use of the Geo GPS sensor with 2nd camera for RGB HD 3D overlays.

Along your subject of different filters...
Had a nice email exchange with Shawn from IRMods on that very subject... filters and specialized cameras for NDVI or other out of human visual light spectrum. Basically all sensors with same sensitivity, quality, density will provide capture of pretty much all the light frequency spectrums, it depends on the sensor filters.

The key to clarification of "Filter" was seperating "Lens" filter vs "Sensor" filter. Changing the Lens filter without removing the RGB standard Default Sensor filter that's on all camera sensors won't provide any higher spectrum of light capture due to the RGB sensor filter. Specialized cameras have the RGB sensor filter removed and replaced with the filter needed to capture the desired light spectrum.

That was new to me, I thought there were multiple sensors manufactured for a certain light spectrum where instead it's basically the sensor's filter attached to the sensor. Now this excludes the extremely hi-end, ultra sensitive sensor that may be designed with intended purpose. But they still utilize the same core sensor elements, but much higher specifications.

When you pull the lens off and look at the sensor, the clear multi color film on top is the RGB filter.
If you've converted a DSLR to IR for creative work, look at it's sensor... it's a dark black looking sensor cover. If you place different Lens IR filters in ft of it, you can modify the range of IR light captured because the Sensor's filter is already filtering for IR spectrum.

Learning experience to me.... Some of the fancy hi-price Multi-Sprectrum Cameras, I'm informed are basically GoPro Sensors with different filters placed on each. Or in one design, at the back of each "lens" is the specialized IR filter and the single GoPro sensor is basically bare and each lens is using the one sensor.

So, In answer to your statement above... If you configured the Camera as a IR sensor camera with a behind the lens IR filter of new Sensor filter, you could modify the IR spectrum captured with additional lens IR Filters. With today's technology, using a internal (behind lens or sensor) filter with multiple spectrum filters, like the ones offered by several lens sites... examples: NDVI8 by IRMod IRmods Custom converts cameras for NDVI mapping drones or the 3.37 Red, Grn, NIR Lens by Peau Productions 3.37mm f/2.8 87d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions makes using add-on lens filters not needed and it'll insure sharper image avoiding additional filters in front of lens.

By the way, the IRMod doesn't provide CGO3+ lenses, but various GoPro Lenses are the same.
If looking for NDVI lenses for CGO3+, you don't need to contain your shopping to Yuneec advertised sites, GoPro size (diamenter & thread) is the same. Although I think Peau Productions has a nice long lens mount for sale seperatley that may be difficult to find elsewhere.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Checking if you've taken any direction with your NDVI project.

I'm still in gathering mode, I have plenty of time before I'll actually be using the NDVI Ag usage. Waiting for a few new things around the corner to develop in new range capture, lower cost cameras for Normalized Difference of Vegetation Index (NDVI), and new multi-capture methods. The IRMod NDVI8 is a new one, it captures additional spectrum to allow your presentation maps to display additional data, as example: differential of standing field water vs sand, or the similar non-IR reflective surfaces. Other new technology improving use of the Geo GPS sensor with 2nd camera for RGB HD 3D overlays.

Along your subject of different filters...
Had a nice email exchange with Shawn from IRMods on that very subject... filters and specialized cameras for NDVI or other out of human visual light spectrum. Basically all sensors with same sensitivity, quality, density will provide capture of pretty much all the light frequency spectrums, it depends on the sensor filters.

The key to clarification of "Filter" was seperating "Lens" filter vs "Sensor" filter. Changing the Lens filter without removing the RGB standard Default Sensor filter that's on all camera sensors won't provide any higher spectrum of light capture due to the RGB sensor filter. Specialized cameras have the RGB sensor filter removed and replaced with the filter needed to capture the desired light spectrum.

That was new to me, I thought there were multiple sensors manufactured for a certain light spectrum where instead it's basically the sensor's filter attached to the sensor. Now this excludes the extremely hi-end, ultra sensitive sensor that may be designed with intended purpose. But they still utilize the same core sensor elements, but much higher specifications.

When you pull the lens off and look at the sensor, the clear multi color film on top is the RGB filter.
If you've converted a DSLR to IR for creative work, look at it's sensor... it's a dark black looking sensor cover. If you place different Lens IR filters in ft of it, you can modify the range of IR light captured because the Sensor's filter is already filtering for IR spectrum.

Learning experience to me.... Some of the fancy hi-price Multi-Sprectrum Cameras, I'm informed are basically GoPro Sensors with different filters placed on each. Or in one design, at the back of each "lens" is the specialized IR filter and the single GoPro sensor is basically bare and each lens is using the one sensor.

So, In answer to your statement above... If you configured the Camera as a IR sensor camera with a behind the lens IR filter of new Sensor filter, you could modify the IR spectrum captured with additional lens IR Filters. With today's technology, using a internal (behind lens or sensor) filter with multiple spectrum filters, like the ones offered by several lens sites... examples: NDVI8 by IRMod IRmods Custom converts cameras for NDVI mapping drones or the 3.37 Red, Grn, NIR Lens by Peau Productions 3.37mm f/2.8 87d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions makes using add-on lens filters not needed and it'll insure sharper image avoiding additional filters in front of lens.

By the way, the IRMod doesn't provide CGO3+ lenses, but various GoPro Lenses are the same.
If looking for NDVI lenses for CGO3+, you don't need to contain your shopping to Yuneec advertised sites, GoPro size (diamenter & thread) is the same. Although I think Peau Productions has a nice long lens mount for sale seperatley that may be difficult to find elsewhere.

Hi Doug, I just flew the Parrot Disco with the Sequoia Multispectral camera this last weekend I will be using the PIX4D mapper the first of this week. I’ll check back in here and let you know my results. Thanks for all the info here.I’m learning every time you post something here.

Hi guys,
If you're looking for an NDVI camera for Yuneec drones we have one:

We also offer a free and unlimited online app for processing the images and generating NDVI analysis.

sound advice, I have a few CGO3 and 3+ so like the idea of this, alternatively had considered the gopro style gimbal connection with the Mapir Survey3 (GoPro sized) for Agri surveys, also not too pricey compared with Parrot not sure on gimbal cost but do have one I wondered might fit from a Q500, Mapir Survey 3 circa £500-£600 plus bonus extras as required but then there’s a 3rd party software for data extrapolation that will likely have a subscription or pay as you go cost

Has anyone had success with a Yuneec camera and filters for Agri surveys and yield mapping?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ardigitalmedia