Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H+ Discontinued?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Looking to purchase a Yuneec Hexacopter for commercial applications. I recently got my Part 107 certification. I was considering the Typhoon H+ but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere and I even got an email from B&H Photo that they are discontinued. Does anybody know if this is true? Should I wait for the H3 to be available or consider the H520 even though it is considerably more expensive for what seems like the same bird with different firmware? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
John

The H520 is a little bit more than just the software, it's a more comprehensive system with more features, accessories and cameras than the plus, with the obvious price premium. The plus is still available here in Europe and UK, perhaps old stock running down, it's not on Yuneec website as discontinued, but then again they expect everyone to mind readers, and are sparse with the truth.

Hello Everyone!

Looking to purchase a Yuneec Hexacopter for commercial applications. I recently got my Part 107 certification. I was considering the Typhoon H+ but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere and I even got an email from B&H Photo that they are discontinued. Does anybody know if this is true? Should I wait for the H3 to be available or consider the H520 even though it is considerably more expensive for what seems like the same bird with different firmware? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
John

John, It would seems as though Yuneec has discontinued the Plus in favor of producing the H3. However, here in the states there are still stocks of the Typhoon H Plus at various Best Buy's across the country, two stores near me here in Florida have them on the shelves, so they can be found.

The Plus has been available for a little over a year and a half and there is a lot of information about them here on this forum. Other than not having some of the things we expected it to have, the Plus has been a pretty good system with a superb camera but it has one issue that has plagued some Plus owners while not others; and some of us believe it is hardware related because Yuneec tried for over a year to fix it through firmware updates and they never did - and that problem is - Gimbal Buzz and shake. While many have had it, a far greater number (I am one) have never experienced it.

The Plus and the 520 are essentially the same; they do share the same flight software, but the 520 has a few capabilities the Plus does not, the 520 can do mapping, it can accept not only the E90 (which is identical to the C23 from the Plus) but it also can accept the E50 and infra red cameras, but of course, those cost a lot of extra money.

The H3 is out in extremely limited numbers thus feedback and information which is helpful to this forum to be able to build a data base of information in order to help those who may or will have problems; is currently almost non-existent. With the current state of Yuneec, spares and their customer service here in the states, I would be very wary of getting an H3.

All that said, if you're set on getting a Typhoon I would recommend either the 520 or the Plus based on what work you wish to pursue, however keep in mind what I mentioned about the Plus. You may or may not get one that works right out of the box, but Best Buy has a 14 day period in which you can return for a replacement. My advice would be if you get one - try it out if it works and you like - keep it, but I cannot over stress this - DO NOT EVER update the firmware on a Plus that is working fine. ;)

Yeah, when you look at the catalog of items for sale at Yuneec, three-quarters of them are unavailable, even more than a few months ago .... it smells of end of life, a supplier who does has more stock and spare parts.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks in Advance!
John
Both Yuneec and Vertigo confirm the Yuneec will continue to build and ship H Plus units to the States. B&H and Best Buy are done. Yuneec picked up units from BB. We had 5 in my area stores for months. They are all gone now. Yuneec could be an MBA case study. So very strange. I have a new H Plus with very few hours and 6 batteries. Bounce back and forth between sell and keep.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm surprised that they've pulled out of Best Buy and B&H. And most places that do or did carry the H+ say that their out of stock, have limited stock, or discontinued. I'm reluctant to spend the money on the H3 because it is the same exact drone. The only difference in the H3 is the camera, which seems to be very close to the same spec as the camera on the H+ save for a couple of features and the Leica name. It's a little crazy to me that they are trying to charge $800 more for that.

As for the H520, it just seems too expensive. A 520 with the E90 camera is exactly the same as the H+. The H520 just has firmware that gives it the extra mapping functionality and the ability to swap the camera payload. It's a little bothersome that the H+ is literally a firmware update away from being able to do everything the 520 can do. Seems like Yuneec held that back so they don't upset their H520 customers.

It would be an interesting experiment to buy another PX4 flight controller for $80, load the H520 firmware and install it into an H+ or H3.

I'm surprised that they've pulled out of Best Buy and B&H. And most places that do or did carry the H+ say that their out of stock, have limited stock, or discontinued. I'm reluctant to spend the money on the H3 because it is the same exact drone. The only difference in the H3 is the camera, which seems to be very close to the same spec as the camera on the H+ save for a couple of features and the Leica name. It's a little crazy to me that they are trying to charge $800 more for that.

As for the H520, it just seems too expensive. A 520 with the E90 camera is exactly the same as the H+. The H520 just has firmware that gives it the extra mapping functionality and the ability to swap the camera payload. It's a little bothersome that the H+ is literally a firmware update away from being able to do everything the 520 can do. Seems like Yuneec held that back so they don't upset their H520 customers.

It would be an interesting experiment to buy another PX4 flight controller for $80, load the H520 firmware and install it into an H+ or H3.

Extra features, aka software packages, are not worth the extra money?

To each his/her own, but... I build a pc and load an operating system on it. Want it to do more than other base models, off the shelf or otherwise, I have to add more packages. Not all are freeware, especially if very specialized.

DataPilot for the H520 is one of those specialized packages worth the extra. How much extra is usually determined by the investment(R&D) along with anticipated market acceptance.

Just a few thoughts.

Jeff

Extra features, aka software packages, are not worth the extra money?

To each his/her own, but... I build a pc and load an operating system on it. Want it to do more than other base models, off the shelf or otherwise, I have to add more packages. Not all are freeware, especially if very specialized.

DataPilot for the H520 is one of those specialized packages worth the extra. How much extra is usually determined by the investment(R&D) along with anticipated market acceptance.

Just a few thoughts.

Jeff
I understand extra cost for more features. But not double the money for the same hardware with some differences in software, just because it can map and use different cameras.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks in Advance!
John
I have an H480 w/RealSense (TH Pro) listed in Classifieds. LOWERED PRICE T0 $1000 FOR SALE Yuneec Typhoon H Pro Drone System w/Intel RealSense Technology

My ad states my price is $1,100 cash or pay pal. If you are interested I will sell the package for $950 cash or Pay Pal (no checks) . Buyer pays for shipping and insurance costs. The "H' was very reliable and a pleasure to fly and the ST16 is a replacement unit I purchased from a Yuneec service company just to be sure the system is up to par. I have no flown the H since for reasons stated above so the ST16 will have to be bound to the "H". Let me know if you have any questions. Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mike Irish
Hello Everyone!

Thanks in Advance!
John
The UK suppliers have all just had a shipment of H Pluses arrive from China after a wait of some weeks. They suggested the Chinese New Year and the coronavirus epidemic may have had an effect.

The UK suppliers have all just had a shipment of H Pluses arrive from China after a wait of some weeks. They suggested the Chinese New Year and the coronavirus epidemic may have had an effect.
I may be selling my H Plus through Carolina Dronz. Received in Aug 2019 with around 10 hours. Will include 6 batteries and DY5 charger plus tons of props. Live in a motorcoach and running out of room. Have several other drones to fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33