Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H flyaway and crash

Reaction score
Trying to figure out why my TH went rogue. I've flown it about 20 times with no incident although I haven't flow it in the past couple years. Got it out to show my father in law, pre-flight check looked good started it up, flew up about 10 feet and hover. Everything was going good, the all the sudden, it went full throttle, banked left, and bee-lined towards the house. None of the controls would respond. I was flying in Angle mode with object detection on. It proceeded to slam into the side of the house causing quite a bit of damage. I guess lucky enough the house was in the way to keep it from flying away and I had all the necessary parts to fix it. Got it all fixed up, did another low flying test flight, landed, no problem. Took off again and all the sudden it did the same thing, went rogue. It followed the same path as before and crashed it the house, this time causing more damage. I have no idea why it is doing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm nervous to even try flying it again.

It would help if you could upload the flight log files. Just follow the steps in this video to create a zip file which can be uploaded here.

First of all try to do as Steve has recommended. Did you let it sit turned on, just the drone, in a clear area so the little battery inside gets charged up and also so the sat. almanac can update itself. I have talked to John several times at yuneec skins and he says 90 percent of the time this is cause for crash. I was careless with my Q500+ and took off right away. It up and went 6,000 feet over farmland 2 yrs ago. A farmer found it in his corn. No damage cept for 2 props. Good luck. send in flight logs. KC

Reactions: Pier2162
FWIW, The OP didn't mention the agonizing wait under a spot wide open to the sky for the H to update its 'starbrary' after a long period of disuse?

I've had to wait 20 minutes, in a cul de sac with a clear view of the sky all around, to get it's happy sound to take off. They're squirrely if they're not happy, obstacle avoidance needs to be off landing and in close quarters. I fly my Typhoons up and over stuff, no more under trees or in close quarters.

I have seen them behave like the OP mentions, look forward to seeing what the logs show...

I'm thinkin it was OBS seeing as you stated it was on ?
OBS should not cause that type of action in Angle mode it will just cause the aircraft to stop if it “sees something” and only allow flight that is not forward.

The description sounds very similar to instances of mismatch between the compass and GPS that is found with GPS aided drones of many manufacturers.

A look at the FlightLog data will give us the best chance of trying to determine the cause.

Trying to figure out why my TH went rogue. I've flown it about 20 times with no incident although I haven't flow it in the past couple years.
I'm going to assume that you did all the necessary calibration's? Compass, IMU ????

Reactions: 7cyclops
OBS should not cause that type of action in Angle mode it will just cause the aircraft to stop if it “sees something” and only allow flight that is not forward.

The description sounds very similar to instances of mismatch between the compass and GPS that is found with GPS aided drones of many manufacturers.

A look at the FlightLog data will give us the best chance of trying to determine the cause.
I thought I had heard that with OBS activated that if ur within the 20 something feet, or whatever it is, at takeoff it'll fly away ? Youz know more than I, that was why I had said that thinkin it might of been something that could have a part of ?

I thought I had heard that with OBS activated that if ur within the 20 something feet, or whatever it is, at takeoff it'll fly away ? Youz know more than I, that was why I had said that thinkin it might of been something that could have a part of ?
You may be thinking of being within 8 meters (28 feet) of the aircraft when taking off in Smart Mode and it moves unpredictably to get outside the Safe Circle. OBS will not activate below 4 meters.

Trying to figure out why my TH went rogue. I've flown it about 20 times with no incident although I haven't flow it in the past couple years. Got it out to show my father in law, pre-flight check looked good started it up, flew up about 10 feet and hover. Everything was going good, the all the sudden, it went full throttle, banked left, and bee-lined towards the house. None of the controls would respond. I was flying in Angle mode with object detection on. It proceeded to slam into the side of the house causing quite a bit of damage. I guess lucky enough the house was in the way to keep it from flying away and I had all the necessary parts to fix it. Got it all fixed up, did another low flying test flight, landed, no problem. Took off again and all the sudden it did the same thing, went rogue. It followed the same path as before and crashed it the house, this time causing more damage. I have no idea why it is doing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm nervous to even try flying it again.
People are telling your to look at or supply your flight logs. For what purpose? They are logs as to where the TH went, not what was wrong. My initial thoughts woudl be that if you had not flown it for two years, you shoudl do a Compass Calibration before flying. I have two Typhoobn H's do I am particuaraly concerned and interested in this. Unrelated to the Typhoon H, I had a DJI Phantom 3, the app on my iPhone was out of sync with the firmware in the fliight batteries. Went up and had a mind of it's own. Luckly it went into a tree and not out over the lake. Not an issue with the Typhooon H because the flight batteries are not intelligent.

• Wow
Reactions: DoomMeister
People are telling your to look at or supply your flight logs. For what purpose? They are logs as to where the TH went, not what was wrong. My initial thoughts woudl be that if you had not flown it for two years, you shoudl do a Compass Calibration before flying. I have two Typhoobn H's do I am particuaraly concerned and interested in this. Unrelated to the Typhoon H, I had a DJI Phantom 3, the app on my iPhone was out of sync with the firmware in the fliight batteries. Went up and had a mind of it's own. Luckly it went into a tree and not out over the lake. Not an issue with the Typhooon H because the flight batteries are not intelligent.
The flightlogs contain more information than where the aircraft was flown. It requires having the Telemetry, Remote, and RemoteGPS csv files for each flight. The program we use needs those files in pristine form (not opened by a program like Excel that tags the file with its own information) which is why we request them in zipped form that preserves the folder and file structure.

The Remote files show position of the switches and settings and compared with telemetry data can show if the aircraft is responding to controls. There is also data in the files that show the status of the aircraft internal electronics.

Why do you think the manufacturers always requested the flightlogs when troubleshooting issues? We ask the same to help remove conjecture in analysis of a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval