Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H loses GPS

Reaction score
Hi, my H will not start with all the settings in the 'normal' positions. GPS shows acquiring although I have 14 satellites shown. The drone will NOT start. Switching off the GPS, it starts no problem. Any thoughts or ideas?

Do you mean loses it, or do you mean never gains it in the first place ? If it;s the latter, unless you are starting indoors or in another location with the satellite view restricted that sounds like you have a broken GPS unit on the H. I take it you have tried it in various locations, and waited a good 10 mins after power-on to allow it plenty of time to acquire ?

What’s a”normal” switch position? For me that’s Angle mode, OBS off, all the gimbal switches to the top, Rabbit slider to fast, and gimbal slider position middle. For me all of that is “normal”.

Hi - thank you for your swift reply. By 'normal' I mean all the items you mentioned. It does not acquire the GPS in the first instance, even waiting 15 minutes.

Does your ST-16 gain a GPS lock? 9 satellites or better?
If so, and the aircraft never does, either a bad GPS board, Blocked antenna, or loose connection to the GPS.

Re Read your post.
How long did you let it "TRY" to acquire a GPS lock? If at a new location, it could take a good deal of time to get a lock.

Last edited:
If it shows 14 satellites it should have switched from Acquiring to Ready. Either the GPS module or the Flight Controller is defective if you see that happen at different locations.

Number of sats is not the criteria for GPS fix. There must be a good level of accuracy, seen in gpsAccH (seems to be the same as HDOP, see GPS wiki). If the H is a new one it was in China before. The GPS chip has to download all sat data and some othe correction values from sats and ground based stations too. This may take some time (up to 15min) depending on your position. Next GPS fix will be much faster.
Same behaviour if you travel to a far away location. As Bob wrote, wait some time and be patient.
How many sats do you have at ST16? The 14 are on copter itself, right? I have up to 20. But the visibility of sats is not the same at all locations.

Have a look on the FlightLog: Accuracy (gpsAccH) for copter is in telemetry files, accuracy of ST16 is located in RemoteGPS files.
gpsAccH should be smaller than 1.2, better below 1.

br HE

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi, my H will not start with all the settings in the 'normal' positions. GPS shows acquiring although I have 14 satellites shown. The drone will NOT start. Switching off the GPS, it starts no problem. Any thoughts or ideas?
Are you close to a major airport (within 5 miles)? You can use AirMap.io or dronesafetymap.com to see restricted locations. With GPS OFF, I think the drone doesn't know where it is (somebody please confirm this).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axel66