Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Plus Telemetry files after strange flight behavior and crash.

Reaction score
Hello, I am in a conversation with Tom (WTFDproject) regarding a crash I had with my Typhoon H Plus. He is reviewing the flight logs. He mentioned that it might be a good idea to post the flight logs here as well to get other perspectives.

The first flight went smoothly and really illustrated the greatness of the TH+.

The second flight not so much. The H+ just kept rising once it took off. No sticks were stuck as they reverted back to the center position. Nothing I did seemed to work except holding down on the left stick as it slowly lowered trying to fight the command. Not even the red motor button would work. Once it landed it tipped forward a bit and kind of held that for a second and rocked back and forth. It stayed like this with the motors running for what seemed like eons... eventually (I assume about 45 seconds) the motors finally cut off.

The last flight, everything seemed to be working fine until right up to where the H+ seemed to drift slightly into a tree branch and crashed. I believe both front props struck the tree at the same time so it didn't go into 5 motor mode. Granted, this could have been avoided if I wasn't flying so close to a tree (obstacle avoidance was off) and it was 35 mph winds, but I suspected that the wind may have drifted the H+ slightly once I let off the right stick and it hit the branches.

Anyway, if there is anyone that might have time to look at the telemetry files for a different perspective that would be great!

Thank you.

Here is a "onedrive" link to the Flight logs:

• Love
Reactions: WTFDproject
For the flight where the H+ kept trying to climb, that is something I know @DCH has had happen to him. As I remember he would have to hold the throttle full down and hand catch the aircraft. I believe he would have to use a quick triple tap on B1 to kill the motors.

I’ll try to take a look at the logs tomorrow.

In the Sensor file 21 I can see two compass calibration actions. Seem both went wrong because the Message '(1,7)Warn geomagnetic field is disturbed' persists. As far as could see the calibration was done in open, free area. So, I wonder why it shows that bad results. Slightly drifting may caused by wrong mag bias.

For the last flight it lost GPS positioning, I don't know why (maybe due to not matching compass values, but this is only a guess).
Those are the messages from the flight:
16815 00:04:56 CRITICAL: 'CAUTION: Avionics power low: 4.64 Volt'
16816 00:04:56 INFO: 'Armed by RC.'
16817 00:04:56 INFO: '(3,14)home: 43.1106624, -124.4265721, 21.49'
16818 00:04:56 INFO: '[logger] file: /fs/microsd/log/2020-08-30/18_03_2'
17138 00:05:02 INFO: 'Takeoff detected.'
23507 00:06:49 INFO: '(3,81) obs open'
23735 00:06:53 INFO: '(3,25)SPORT MODE'
23736 00:06:53 INFO: '(2,87) not angle mode obs not available'
24175 00:07:00 INFO: '(3,26)ANGLE MODE'
24176 00:07:00 INFO: '(3,81) obs open'
25197 00:07:18 INFO: '(3,54)THE TARGET IS TOO CLOSE , NOT SWITCH GPS FO'
31390 00:09:02 CRITICAL: '(3,53)REMOTE GPS SIGNAL WEAK,EXIT GPS FOLLOW'
39955 00:11:28 INFO: '(3,82) obs close'
57232 00:16:25 CRITICAL: '(1,61)MOTOR 3 ERROR IS 4,ENTER FAULT TOLERANT CON'
57254 00:16:25 CRITICAL: '(1,61)MOTOR 2 ERROR IS 4,ENTER FAULT TOLERANT CON'

I think this is the one where the tree jumps in the way.

First: 43°06'38.2"N 124°25'35.6"W
Home: 43°06'38.4"N 124°25'35.7"W
Last: 43°06'40.0"N 124°25'37.1"W

I will look deeper...

br HE

The roll stick has problems. It starts with 0% but remain at ~1% at the end when you left it. This may disturb the landing detection. In flight #13 the message 'NOT DISARMING: Not in manual mode or landed yet.' appears for a long time before landing was detected. I think #13 was the one with massive landing problems.

btw can you specify what flight belongs to you descriptions above?
we have 4 flights in:
#12, #13, #15 and #16. I think #13 is the one you described as second flight with the landing detection problems and #16 is the last flight where the tree jumps in the way. Right? What was with #15? All OK?

br HE

Reactions: WTFDproject
we have 4 flights in:
#12, #13, #15 and #16. I think #13 is the one you described as second flight with the landing detection problems and #16 is the last flight where the tree jumps in the way. Right? What was with #15? All OK?
br HE

Attachments

• Problem Description.pdf
    365.8 KB · Views: 21
@Airwolf76,

Just curious as to your last flight and the one-sided battle with a tree...

You mention you noticed the TH Plus drifting toward a tree, and that your “pulling back” on the stick did not stop the drift...

Are you confident in the orientation of the craft, that it was nose directly away from you, meaning the “pulling back” would have been the proper action, rather than adding to the drifting?

I do not recall if orientation is captured in the logs. Might be worth checking.

I know in my experiences, perception can be clouded by the events unfolding involving our not so trivial investments!

Good luck!

Jeff

Thank you Tom (WTFDproject)

Yes HE, Flight #12 was first flight and went well. #13 was the bizarre constant up (ascending) motion despite left stick centered.

#14 just a power on and off as mentioned in Tom's attachment.

#15 Seemed good after what appeared to be a good compass calibration.

#16 New location good flight (at least I felt it was) until crash.

@Airwolf76,

Just curious as to your last flight and the one-sided battle with a tree...

You mention you noticed the TH Plus drifting toward a tree, and that your “pulling back” on the stick did not stop the drift...

Are you confident in the orientation of the craft, that it was nose directly away from you, meaning the “pulling back” would have been the proper action, rather than adding to the drifting?

I do not recall if orientation is captured in the logs. Might be worth checking.

I know in my experiences, perception can be clouded by the events unfolding involving our not so trivial investments!

Good luck!

Jeff

I completely understand your point. And this is something I am open to (that it was my fault). I mean despite being relatively open there were trees but I was flying low and slow (without obstacle avoidance) IN ANGLE mode and there happened to be one tree between me and the final location of the H+. So I left off the sticks assuming the H+ would come to a hover within a second. I wanted to get in a different position so I could get a better perspective. But the H+ did not appear to stop right away. However, it was windy and that could have contributed to it drifting slightly into the tree. When I realized it was going to hit the tree I did pull back on the right stick. But it was too late as the momentum was still carrying it into the tree. The H+ was pointing to my left, (west). I was pointing North. The tree was directly in front of the H+ and the direction of travel. So pulling back on the right stick should be correct assuming an object is in front of the H+ which it was in this case.

Thank you.

Teague

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
The roll stick has problems. It starts with 0% but remain at ~1% at the end when you left it. This may disturb the landing detection. In flight #13 the message 'NOT DISARMING: Not in manual mode or landed yet.' appears for a long time before landing was detected. I think #13 was the one with massive landing problems.

we have 4 flights in:

br HE

By the way, I'm concerned with the 1% on the roll stick. (That's the right stick, correct?). I know that I was moving and pushing everything while the H+ kept ascending. The sticks appeared to send commands but they were slow since the H+ was fighting those commands with the upward ascent it was doing. The ascent wasn't that fast. It didn't really shoot off. It was rising about a foot every 1.5 seconds. All I did at the end was hold down the left stick until it finally came to an unstable rest on the ground with the motors running. So I had to wait a good minute it seems for the motors to finally stop. The red motor button didn't work even holding down for a minute.

Teague

In the Sensor file 21 I can see two compass calibration actions. Seem both went wrong because the Message '(1,7)Warn geomagnetic field is disturbed' persists. As far as could see the calibration was done in open, free area. So, I wonder why it shows that bad results. Slightly drifting may caused by wrong mag bias.

For the last flight it lost GPS positioning, I don't know why (maybe due to not matching compass values, but this is only a guess).
Those are the messages from the flight:
16815 00:04:56 CRITICAL: 'CAUTION: Avionics power low: 4.64 Volt'
16816 00:04:56 INFO: 'Armed by RC.'
16817 00:04:56 INFO: '(3,14)home: 43.1106624, -124.4265721, 21.49'
16818 00:04:56 INFO: '[logger] file: /fs/microsd/log/2020-08-30/18_03_2'
17138 00:05:02 INFO: 'Takeoff detected.'
23507 00:06:49 INFO: '(3,81) obs open'
23735 00:06:53 INFO: '(3,25)SPORT MODE'
23736 00:06:53 INFO: '(2,87) not angle mode obs not available'
24175 00:07:00 INFO: '(3,26)ANGLE MODE'
24176 00:07:00 INFO: '(3,81) obs open'
25197 00:07:18 INFO: '(3,54)THE TARGET IS TOO CLOSE , NOT SWITCH GPS FO'
31390 00:09:02 CRITICAL: '(3,53)REMOTE GPS SIGNAL WEAK,EXIT GPS FOLLOW'
39955 00:11:28 INFO: '(3,82) obs close'
57232 00:16:25 CRITICAL: '(1,61)MOTOR 3 ERROR IS 4,ENTER FAULT TOLERANT CON'
57254 00:16:25 CRITICAL: '(1,61)MOTOR 2 ERROR IS 4,ENTER FAULT TOLERANT CON'

I think this is the one where the tree jumps in the way.

First: 43°06'38.2"N 124°25'35.6"W
Home: 43°06'38.4"N 124°25'35.7"W
Last: 43°06'40.0"N 124°25'37.1"W

I will look deeper...

br HE

Yes, that appears to be the last flight and where the tree decided to smack it down! Haha! I am scratching my head a bit over the timing of the flight log though. It seemed longer than that. I was flying around in a more open area with RealSense to test it and it seemed to work ok and that is when I decided to just do some manual flying around in ANGLE mode, low and slow. But the time between those switches seems more like 4 or 5 minutes. But who knows. I might have just been caught in the moment. Plus some sketchy dude was watching me in his truck parked in an area that is not private and is not accessible except through a locked gate or private land. I was nervous which might have been another factor.

I also wish the flight logs would correspond to the actual time on the ST16S.

Speaking of which, why doesn't the ST16S retain the proper time? It is always an hour behind as if it doesn't recognize Daylight Saving. The only time I can get it to be correct is if I connect to my home internet via WiFi. And that doesn't stick once I switch over to the H+ and C23.

The compass calibration issue, that is disturbing. Everytime I have done a compass calibration it reported as a success. I did note during my last flight that the "magnetic interference detected" error came up on the ST16S. It has been frequent. So to be honest, while not ignoring it I have been sort of tossing it aside as anecdotal …. The ST16S has never (so far) reported GPS loss. But that's just on the ST16S display. Who knows what was actually occurring.

Teague

The time difference is due to the ST16S using the time from the GPS satellites when not connected to a internet connected WiFi. I get the same thing on my golf GPS as well as my ST16 for my Typhoon H.

The time difference is due to the ST16S using the time from the GPS satellites when not connected to a internet connected WiFi. I get the same thing on my golf GPS as well as my ST16 for my Typhoon H.

Yes. I get the same thing with my Typhoon H non Plus. But the ST10 for the Q500 series kept the time as it was able to be set manually. I liked that because aside from the Log files the actual time on the display was accurate.

Oh well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval