Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Simplified 3.9 mm lens install video 2.5 minutes

Here is a video on how to quickly and easily change your 3.9mm lens. The running time is less than
2.5 minutes...not entertaining just informational. This will void your warranty I would assume.

Mickey, thanks for the easy install info, what make lens have you swapped and is it much better? Thanks

Reactions: Mickeyboo
Three weeks ago, I tried installing a 5.4 mm lens, that is my lens of choice because it has a field of view of only 64 degrees, the stock lens has a field of view of 98 degrees...the narrow the field of view the less distortion. (I've installed about 10 of those on GoPros when I flew Phantoms) However the 5.4 will not focus in the lens mount...you need a deeper mount. Removing the old mount is problematic because of the epoxy glue they used and there are also 4 hair thin wires connected to a board smaller than a postage stamp which controls the gimbal which is very delicate. Each of those wire is finely soldered with a tiny dot of solder So I've settled for now with 3.9mm lens which has a field of view of 84 degrees. I like to fly low and close to my subjects and this lens allows me to have the image closer at a greater distance with less distortion. I got my 3.9mm lens from Skydrones USA in Iowa.

Three weeks ago, I tried installing a 5.4 mm lens, that is my lens of choice because it has a field of view of only 64 degrees, the stock lens has a field of view of 98 degrees...the narrow the field of view the less distortion. (I've installed about 10 of those on GoPros when I flew Phantoms) However the 5.4 will not focus in the lens mount...you need a deeper mount. Removing the old mount is problematic because of the epoxy glue they used and there are also 4 hair thin wires connected to a board smaller than a postage stamp which controls the gimbal which is very delicate. Each of those wire is finely soldered with a tiny dot of solder So I've settled for now with 3.9mm lens which has a field of view of 84 degrees. I like to fly low and close to my subjects and this lens allows me to have the image closer at a greater distance with less distortion. I got my 3.9mm lens from Skydrones USA in Iowa.
I have bought from them, Thanks for the info! Fly Well !

Thanks for posting, is the same lens as Peau products? If not is it a glass lens and 16MP?
How does it compare in comparison in terms of IQ?
I need to find something in the UK
This is indeed the lens distributed by Peau, I got mine from Skydrones USA which has them in stock. It can resolve a resolution of 16 megapixels and has glass elements. Your field of view is 84 degrees instead of the stock 98 degrees. You may want to purchase in the USA since it's so small and easy to ship.

Much simpler video than previous videos where it seemed too many parts were taken off just to replace the lens. This looks much quicker and safer (i.e. less chance of damaging something).

Much simpler video than previous videos where it seemed too many parts were taken off just to replace the lens. This looks much quicker and safer (i.e. less chance of damaging something).
That is why I made the video the previous video widely circulated made it seem much more difficult than it needs to be and there was way too much disassembly. Some of which can be dicey because of the hair fine wires which control the gimbal which did not need to be fooled with. You don't need to access any more than I've shown here. (8 screws, remove microphones from holes)

Reactions: m20b_pilot
That is why I made the video the previous video widely circulated made it seem much more difficult than it needs to be and there was way too much disassembly. Some of which can be dicey because of the hair fine wires which control the gimbal which did not need to be fooled with. You don't need to access any more than I've shown here. (8 screws, remove microphones from holes)
Great video! Do the mics easily go back into their slots, or is there some back & forth play/alignment to get them in?

Great video! Do the mics easily go back into their slots, or is there some back & forth play/alignment to get them in?
Yes, they have soft foam rubber (wind screen) which faces down into the hole holding them and a small black rubber washer on the other end. I placed them in the hole and pushed them down into the hole with a small screw driver...getting them in the holes and removing glue are the most tedious steps...a box cutter or other thin sharp blade can be used instead of the dental pick I was using.
Just be patient and recognize putting the mics back in is like a childhood puzzle whereby once you've properly positioned the front lens cover they will go partially in and then shove them in with a small screw driver. Bottom line you don't even need mics since all you get is rotor noise anyway.

Yes, they have soft foam rubber (wind screen) which faces down into the hole holding them and a small black rubber washer on the other end. I placed them in the hole and pushed them down into the hole with a small screw driver...getting them in the holes and removing glue are the most tedious steps...a box cutter or other thin sharp blade can be used instead of the dental pick I was using.
Just be patient and recognize putting the mics back in is like a childhood puzzle whereby once you've properly positioned the front lens cover they will go partially in and then shove them in with a small screw driver. Bottom line you don't even need mics since all you get is rotor noise anyway.
Thanks, good info!

Since people are doing upgrades to their Typhoon, I wonder how long it will be before someone replaces the two camera mics with a set of BOSE high end condenser mics? I'm kidding, but someone will eventually do it.

Thanks, good info!

Since people are doing upgrades to their Typhoon, I wonder how long it will be before someone replaces the two camera mics with a set of BOSE high end condenser mics? I'm kidding, but someone will eventually do it.
I would install Sennheiser lav mics and a motorcycle battery for extended flying time.

Awesome! Seems much simpler than that other youtube vid :p

Pondering getting another CGO3+ to do that with just so I keep the warranty of the original parts, and have the option of slightly wider if I need to go back. Hmm...

Awesome! Seems much simpler than that other youtube vid :p

Pondering getting another CGO3+ to do that with just so I keep the warranty of the original parts, and have the option of slightly wider if I need to go back. Hmm...
It is very easy to just replace the original lens...just screw it back in until until the glue stops it from turning...I've had mine in and out a few times. As for keeping the warranty I don't think that's a possibility, you could always wait until the warranty expires before you do the install.

It is very easy to just replace the original lens...just screw it back in until until the glue stops it from turning...I've had mine in and out a few times. As for keeping the warranty I don't think that's a possibility, you could always wait until the warranty expires before you do the install.

Well, I meant having a second CGO3+ to do the mod on. It'd void that warranty, but at least having the original camera for the drone that you can pop back on, shouldn't necessarily void the warranty for the original unit.. that's my thought anyways and I could entirely be wrong :p

Quite interested to see the differences in the lenses!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval