Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H video feed issue and range

@AeFox , what did you find with the sticks? Are they returning to exactly center every time you move them?

Regarding the video feed, if you find nothing with the connectors on the ST16 then pop off the cover on the front of the camera and check the antenna.

@AeFox , what did you find with the sticks? Are they returning to exactly center every time you move them?

Regarding the video feed, if you find nothing with the connectors on the ST16 then pop off the cover on the front of the camera and check the antenna.

The stick test revealed that my sticks work perfectly fine. I'm going to look into that a little further over the next couple days because I'm still pretty convinced that it is a firmware issue. The Typhoon stays pretty still when it's higher than 15 feet above ground. But once I start landing, that's when it glides.

I did have some success with removing the washer! I just got back from a short flight to the river, and even though I had some trees in the way I was able to get to 2,300' before video cut out! I'm perfectly happy with that distance because I was was just beginning to lose sight of the drone. Thanks for that tip!

They do wander a little the lower they get there's alot of turbulent air thrown around by the copter.

Reactions: AeFox
Good to know about the video. That may have been the problem.

Regarding the drift, does it happen at all locations? Is there a lot of tree cover where you are landing?
Do you get any compass warnings or see any orange flashes from the status light when landing?

Good to know about the video. That may have been the problem.

Regarding the drift, does it happen at all locations? Is there a lot of tree cover where you are landing?
Do you get any compass warnings or see any orange flashes from the status light when landing?

It does happen in all locations. Although, I haven't tried to land it on the ground for some time now. I haven't associated compass warning with the landing, but I also compass calibrations about once a month depending on use frequency. No orange flashes from the status light either. Mrgs1 is right, it does throw a lot of air when landing. I have always brought it down really slow too. Most of the time when I tried to land it, the landing will look fairly smooth but as soon as it touches ground the motors rev up and tip it over. It never did that until I updated the firmware. After that it did it so frequently and after making sure I ruled out terrain factors, I simply gave up and started catching it in the air. Mind you, I really don't have a problem doing that. At least until I get hit with the blades *knocks on wood*.

Hmm...it shouldn't drift and the motors should go to idle if you are holding the throttle all the way down. If you allow the left stick to move before it goes to idle then it will try to level itself which causes it to tip over.
You can also use Big Red to land. When it's about 3' above the ground just bump the button every few seconds and when it's a few inches above the ground, press and hold the red button. It will land smoothly and shut off the motors with no tipping or broken props.

Hmm...it shouldn't drift and the motors should go to idle if you are holding the throttle all the way down. If you allow the left stick to move before it goes to idle then it will try to level itself which causes it to tip over.
You can also use Big Red to land. When it's about 3' above the ground just bump the button every few seconds and when it's a few inches above the ground, press and hold the red button. It will land smoothly and shut off the motors with no tipping or broken props.

Wow, haha. Well, I've been landing completely wrong this whole time. I never pushed the red button until it hit the ground. I thought I watched just about every instructional youtube video on the Typhoon, but apparently I missed some. I'll give this a try this evening when it cools down outside. Thanks for these really helpful tricks here.

People aren't listening to the change in tone of motors, before hitting red button. Yuneec UK video says it's highly important. Very minute input on the sticks, you can turn down descent to half way and she's lands softly.

I’ve never had an issue landing. Sometimes its a bit of a challenge to get centered on the pad due to winds and ground effect....but ease her down and go full down on the stick as she touches down....hold full down until the motors go idle....then hit big red. Works every time for me.

Reactions: KellyR
Had my first bumpy landing yesterday. Flying at my Dad’s house with a lot of tall trees around and some swirling wind. Landing zone was about a 20 foot circle with tall trees, welded wire fence, and my Dad’s pickup truck surrounding the LZ. Landing from the first battery was normal. The second was normal until a foot from touching down and it drifted toward the fence as I was touching down. Took two skips toward the fence with the left stick full down and started to tip. Started to give it full throttle up, but it leaned more to the fence and would have climbed right into it had I aborted. Took the lesser of two evils and let it tip as B1 killed the motors. Looked ugly but only a touch of mud on one prop. Powered down the H, checked props, motors, and arms. All looked good so powered up the AC, started the motors, lifted off, hovered for 5 seconds and landed again.

Lesson learned, I’ll launch and land from the vacant lot catty corner from my Dad’s. Swirling winds in a tight LZ are a recipe for embarrassment.

People aren't listening to the change in tone of motors, before hitting red button. Yuneec UK video says it's highly important. Very minute input on the sticks, you can turn down descent to half way and she's lands softly.
Hi Mrgs1,
You are absolutely correct when people don't hear the change in the pitch of the motors when you have landed and they go into idle mode. This is 90 % of the tipovers and as for using the red button 2 feet off the ground no way . I have more respect for my machine. If you have to use the red button you should go out and practice and listen to your machine and what it is telling you.l now have about 450 hrs of flight time and never tipped it over. Learn and listen to your machine. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the Grass.

Reactions: AH-1G
The only time I use the red button to land, is hand catching. I have it hover slightly above my hand (where I will capture it at the top of the landing Gear), then press the red button. From there it will ease down into my hand, then holding the red button down, it shuts off.
If you try to grab the H and pull it down or move it sideways the motors will rev up, not good.
But if you grab the H and push it up, the motors will rev down.

Red button landing is fine. I have a disability which leaves me as a "one stick" flyer. (My left arm/hand doesn't work). One of the most wonderful features of the TH is the big red button landing. It sets down soft, shuts down almost immediately upon touch down, and rarely (if ever) gives a tip over. All with one finger.

Just because some choose to NOT use the feature does not make those who do lesser sUAS flyers.

Last edited:
Red button landing is fine. I have a disability which leaves me as a "one stick" flyer. (My left arm/hand doesn't work). One of the most wonderful features of the TH is the big red button landing. It sets down soft, shuts down almost immediately upon touch down, and rarely (if ever) gives a tip over. All with one finger.

Just because some choose to NOT use the feature does not make those who do lesser sUAS flyers.
Whatever works for you. If that is the best way of landing for you and your disability then I'm good with that. Personally, I've never used the red button landing method. The need to use it has never manifested itself for me...so far. The method is handy to know should the need ever arise and I will use it if I'm ever in a position to benefit from it. In the mean time I'll carry on ground landing using the sticks or hand catch if on rough ground or it is windy.

The stick test revealed that my sticks work perfectly fine. I'm going to look into that a little further over the next couple days because I'm still pretty convinced that it is a firmware issue. The Typhoon stays pretty still when it's higher than 15 feet above ground. But once I start landing, that's when it glides.

I did have some success with removing the washer! I just got back from a short flight to the river, and even though I had some trees in the way I was able to get to 2,300' before video cut out! I'm perfectly happy with that distance because I was was just beginning to lose sight of the drone. Thanks for that tip!

Great thread! I know what you mean about range. Especially when you see a guy in LA fly 2.3 MILES over god knows what kind of signal mess. ?

Yea, I saw this video too. It would unnerve me to no end to fly that distance. Of course, even with the 4Hawks, I can not even get a third of that distance which is fine because I don't trust the batteries I have to make it that far and back. I also ended up playing around with my 5.8g antenna that's located inside the camera housing. It appears to me that it's design is pretty bad. They placed the antenna in the front of the camera so when you're flying away from your signal and the camera is facing forward, you lose signal pretty quick. I ended up allowing my antenna to sorta just hang off the bottom outside of it's housing to see if it made any difference, which it did. Not that even that matters because I put it all back together afterwards in the way that it originally was. I feel like if I made any permanent modifications to the camera housing to allow the antenna to hang from the bottom it would mess up how the camera turns.

Anyway, yea videos like those are fairly mystifying to me. I'm not too sure that the 4hawks was the only factor that allowed such distance.

Yea, I saw this video too. It would unnerve me to no end to fly that distance. Of course, even with the 4Hawks, I can not even get a third of that distance which is fine because I don't trust the batteries I have to make it that far and back. I also ended up playing around with my 5.8g antenna that's located inside the camera housing. It appears to me that it's design is pretty bad. They placed the antenna in the front of the camera so when you're flying away from your signal and the camera is facing forward, you lose signal pretty quick. I ended up allowing my antenna to sorta just hang off the bottom outside of it's housing to see if it made any difference, which it did. Not that even that matters because I put it all back together afterwards in the way that it originally was. I feel like if I made any permanent modifications to the camera housing to allow the antenna to hang from the bottom it would mess up how the camera turns.

Anyway, yea videos like those are fairly mystifying to me. I'm not too sure that the 4hawks was the only factor that allowed such distance.
What's losing signal pretty quickly? 500 metres.a kilometre? Is the flight still within legal distances, with a 4hawks there should be a marked improvment, regardless of antenna location on camera. And the video.is that a Dji product? Some of those are able to travel long distance by design, H480 was never a distance demon!

What's losing signal pretty quickly? 500 metres.a kilometre? Is the flight still within legal distances, with a 4hawks there should be a marked improvment, regardless of antenna location on camera. And the video.is that a Dji product? Some of those are able to travel long distance by design, H480 was never a distance demon!

So, one of the first things I did was a suggestion that Steve Carr had which was checking the antenna. At that point even with the 4Hawks it was getting out not much further than 450 meters or so. Still within legal distance of being in VLOS. What seemed to have a better impact was in fact removing this washer on the ST16 for the 5.8g antenna. I got it out to about 3/4 of a kilometer and stopped because I was quickly losing sight of the H.

That video is actually of a Typhoon H.

Most of those guys posting videos of long distance flights never post the last flight. That's because the video of the last flight is still on the card in the camera and they have no idea how to find where the bird went down. Bragging rights are expensive.
My rule of thumb: Never fly further than you are willing to hike, swim or snowshoe to retrieve your aircraft.
The purpose of adding a better antenna is to improve signal strength, not to fly out a mile.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33