Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H VS phantom 4 - LET'S BE IMPARTIAL !

I FULLY AGREE ! I don't want to tell that one is the best and the other is awful. I want to present the pros and the cons of each depending of what you want to do.
At this time, I would say that :
the TH is the best for those who want to have cinematic shots with complex movements of camera.
the P4 is the best for those who want an ultra portable drone easy to fly
I continue my investigation.
Today 25 knots and shooting with my personal windsurf team !

I'm actually thinking of a slightly different option ....

1. TH for those who want to have cinematic shots with complex movements of camera.
2. Mavic for those who want an ultra portable drone easy to fly

Already have the TH .... and am SERIOUSLY considering getting the MAVIC for my second unit.

Cheers :cool:

Reactions: keiths
I'm actually thinking of a slightly different option ....

1. TH for those who want to have cinematic shots with complex movements of camera.
2. Mavic for those who want an ultra portable drone easy to fly

Already have the TH .... and am SERIOUSLY considering getting the MAVIC for my second unit.

Cheers :cool:
AGREE TOO ! I relly wander if the Mavic is not a P4 killer... Time will tell

Reactions: OzCougar
Everyone jumping on the Mavic bandwagon may be in for an unpleasant surprise when they try to fly in heavy wind or gusts.

Everyone jumping on the Mavic bandwagon may be in for an unpleasant surprise when they try to fly in heavy wind or gusts.

LOL that lunatic admits himself he shouldn't have flown the P3 in that wind and the Typhoon H would not have performed any better.

SD I think you're wrong number one the TH has two more motors then the phantom three number two it loves the wind even 25 kn.

Nah both of those videos have been discussed many times, the wind is not that high, certainly the first one, look at his shirt and the plants its a summer breeze. The other one is higher winds but he is holding position. That video of the Phantom in Wales was exceptional. I remember the phantompilots post well as the poor guy was also crucified for having a preproduction Phantom 3 brought on ebay. One of the DJI reps practically accused him of theft.

I'm not disagreeing I used the Typhoon H over my Phantom 3 when filming kite surfers a couple of weeks ago as it does perform better in the wind. But that Phantom 3 video is not a good comparison, its hugely exaggerated.

I will start by saying I do not own the P4 (and will not) so I won't give any personal opinions to compare the two. These are only facts:
The Typhoon H has these advantages:
1. 6 rotors for redundancy, will fly with 5
2. Retractable landing gear
3. 360 degree rotating camera
4. Built in tablet/screen. No worries about compatibility or charging a separate device.
5. Removable camera/gimbal
6. Built in flight modes that do not require 3rd party apps which void warranty
7. Second controller (Wizard) included and it is waterproof
8. HDMI out from controller
9. Batteries are less expensive and not restricted with internal chip
10. Dynamic altitude in follow modes
11. Better Curved Cable Cam
12. Charger includes 12v car adapter
14. Sun shield included
15. Neck strap included
16. Obstacle avoidance works in the direction the aircraft is moving, not restricted to camera direction
17. Smooth, hands free camera yaw
18. Cruise control for smooth, hands free panning

So, overall it is a better value for the money. DJI will likely drop the price of the P4 very soon, so the cost advantage may not last unless Yuneec also drops the price. DJI Phans may argue that they don't need or use some of these features, but many of us do. The fact remains that Typhoon H has them and the P4 does not.

Reactions: Niels Bogstad
RR this is a very nice post about you my friend and also very truthful. I'm looking for some more from you.
Eric that is an awesome video really good. Fly safe my friends.

LOL that lunatic admits himself he shouldn't have flown the P3 in that wind and the Typhoon H would not have performed any better.
ROFL

I routinely fly on Lake Huron and in wind alley in the Michigan thumb. The P4 is no match for the H in windy conditions, let alone saying the H wouldn't have fared better than the P3 in the video. According to his anemometer, the wind was ~18 mph which is child's play for the H. It likely was stronger once he took off, but even at 25 mph the H will hold solid and have plenty of power to fly into into it. I've done it many times. On top of all that, landing a Phantom in wind is disaster waiting to happen.

I was in Oscoda (Lake Huron) in August with this warning in affect:
8wt2gdL.png

It was surfers heaven with 25 mph gusting to 30+. I had both the H and P4. Guess which one stayed in the case because I knew would not handle it. My son was impressed as he thought the wind was going to take the H away, I then turned over the controller to him and said go for it. No problem, including landing.

On another windy day at the same location my daughter had her horse so I went up for a few minutes to get some video. Again, the P4 stayed in the truck.

Both are raw no pp.

On this day a storm was brewing so I thought it might be a good opportunity to compare the P4 with the H despite the shoddy phone video. I've used both enough to know the H handles much better in the wind, period. The P4 struggles to hold position and if the wind is too strong you have to give it lots of throttle. That was my first and last hand catch. Those touting Phantom stable video in wind are almost always done while it is moving. I can't wait for the bragging about how the Mavic is as good as the P4 in wind at ~1/2 the weight.

@ RiverRunner- what you listed sums it up for me, but also if filming say in an arena setting, the H is unmatched being used like a tripod. With the cruise control added, it makes it even better. I would like to see dynamic RTL optional and be able to land at actual home position established on takeoff.

Oh yeah, those trees on the shore line are near horizontal and those people photographing the horse are barely able to stand up.

Were we not being impartial?

I am excited and can't wait to get the Mavic. All reviews I have seen were nothing but praise and excitement.
The Mavic is so stable that beginners were flying in between trees and buildings.
And this was still a pre production model.
Even the video is better and more stable than most other drone so far in this price range.
Can it handle high winds? A couple of videos already showed it can.
It has the power and double stabilization system.

I am excited and can't wait to get the Mavic. All reviews I have seen were nothing but praise and excitement.
The Mavic is so stable that beginners were flying in between trees and buildings.
And this was still a pre production model.
Even the video is better and more stable than most other drone so far in this price range.
Can it handle high winds? A couple of videos already showed it can.
It has the power and double stabilization system.
Video looks really soft

Strong wind :

So I tried to catch my friend on the water. The wind was strong (25/28 knots) but not gusty. The TH and the P4 had the same settings (ND16 or ND16CL and 100 iso shutter 1/50).
About the behavior :
- I feel more secure with the typhoon. thanks to the 360 gimbal, it is much more easy to "catch" a windsurfer and follow him. But I don't feel so secure because of the imprecise gauge of the battery on the ST16. I set my own stopwatch to 12 minutes and then I come back over the beach whatever the gauge shows me. I had to turn the GPS off because I was unable to go beyond 30 mph when on.
- The P4 produce much more effort to fly but it does the job. As it is impossible to use the course lock function in such a situation, I had to fly like a crab and sometimes I had the landing gear in my field of view because the P4 bends a lot to fight against the wind. I really appreciate the sport mode that gives you the ability to go very fast (40 mph) with the GPS on, the software that gives you precise informations about the battery. I didn't have problem with altitude over the water with IPS on.
As a conclusion,
for filming windsurfers (speed, not waves) I prefer the H because of its behavior and its gimble, BUT I love the P4 because of the power gauge so usefull when you are a little bit too far from the beach.
for filming something more calm like sup paddle, kayak etc, the H wins (because I stay near the beach so I'm so worried with the battery.
And now I can really say that the video quality (in 4K) is the same on both drone. I would like to test the HD at 60 or 120.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33