Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H VS phantom 4 - LET'S BE IMPARTIAL !

Oh yeah, those trees on the shore line are near horizontal and those people photographing the horse are barely able to stand up.

Were we not being impartial?

The wind is what it is, sorry.

I have both copters so yes I'm partial to the H in most situations for doing video I do. The 360 gimbal stability is superior to the P4 in windy conditions. It's just a fact. If used like a tripod there is no comparison. Yawing the gimbal is much better than constantly yawing the craft because when you fly out to the start point, it is nice because the heading doesn't change and you can roll/pitch to a different position if desired while still controlling the gimbal. Then there's the cruise control which the P4 does not have. That right there makes for great fly-by's. Of course there's dynamic gimbal lock as well. The P4 takes nice video, but functionally it is 2012 technology.

Active Tracking kinda sorta works, but I've had it lose the subject often when the lighting isn't optimal or contrast between the subject and surroundings are too similar. Example is at a mud bog when the truck gets so muddy the AT can't distinguish between the mud and the truck at times.

I don't use OA, but the P4 is better. Of course if you're moving sideways it is useless.

I like the P4 for flying in tighter areas and as long as the wind doesn't get too wild, for flying further out due to more precise battery information. I would like the H to have dynamic RTL as an option because there are times I want it to land where it took off from if in RTL mode. The P4 does that and you can reset the home point, but it is not dynamic. So that's a mixed bag.

Flying missions is nothing special; been there, done that. The H has just the right combination of built in modes for video shots. CCC on the H is better than the P4, and now with Eric's CCC tools it makes it more interesting. Litchi (or Glitchi as some call it) is not installed on my tablet/phone; don't need it. Oh, did I mention the P4 works for crap on most Androids? I have three; the screen often breaks up and gets garbled. People say "buy an IPhone or IPad". Uh huh, invest another $400-700 just to fly. No Apples for me thank you. Nobody will convince me DJI can't easily fix this issue with Androids, but P4's are sold in Apple stores. Hmmm.

DJI no like Android.
Ojc5c6T.png

JqdcLkU.png

If that's too impartial still, that's the best I can do. There's always GEO to talk about. If DJI gets their way, it will be forced on everyone, not just DJI products.

And to be honest, I still like my Arducopter stuff better than either the H or P4. The only thing missing is cruise control and an affordable 360 deg camera. Otherwise it's pretty much unlimited what can be done.

Reactions: RiverRunner
There's good points and bad points on each quad or Hex. And I think they're all great.

I have both copters so yes I'm partial to the H in most situations for doing video I do. The 360 gimbal stability is superior to the P4 in windy conditions. It's just a fact. If used like a tripod there is no comparison. Yawing the gimbal is much better than constantly yawing the craft because when you fly out to the start point, it is nice because the heading doesn't change and you can roll/pitch to a different position if desired while still controlling the gimbal. Then there's the cruise control which the P4 does not have. That right there makes for great fly-by's. Of course there's dynamic gimbal lock as well. The P4 takes nice video, but functionally it is 2012 technology.

Active Tracking kinda sorta works, but I've had it lose the subject often when the lighting isn't optimal or contrast between the subject and surroundings are too similar. Example is at a mud bog when the truck gets so muddy the AT can't distinguish between the mud and the truck at times.

I don't use OA, but the P4 is better. Of course if you're moving sideways it is useless.

I like the P4 for flying in tighter areas and as long as the wind doesn't get too wild, for flying further out due to more precise battery information. I would like the H to have dynamic RTL as an option because there are times I want it to land where it took off from if in RTL mode. The P4 does that and you can reset the home point, but it is not dynamic. So that's a mixed bag.

Flying missions is nothing special; been there, done that. The H has just the right combination of built in modes for video shots. CCC on the H is better than the P4, and now with Eric's CCC tools it makes it more interesting. Litchi (or Glitchi as some call it) is not installed on my tablet/phone; don't need it. Oh, did I mention the P4 works for crap on most Androids? I have three; the screen often breaks up and gets garbled. People say "buy an IPhone or IPad". Uh huh, invest another $400-700 just to fly. No Apples for me thank you. Nobody will convince me DJI can't easily fix this issue with Androids, but P4's are sold in Apple stores. Hmmm.

If that's too impartial still, that's the best I can do. There's always GEO to talk about. If DJI gets their way, it will be forced on everyone, not just DJI products.

And to be honest, I still like my Arducopter stuff better than either the H or P4. The only thing missing is cruise control and an affordable 360 deg camera. Otherwise it's pretty much unlimited what can be done.
FULLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING !!!

DJI no like Android.
Ojc5c6T.png

JqdcLkU.png

Forgot to say you lost all credibility when you posted a video in portrait.

But you did make one valid point RE the gimbal rotation on the H is better than moving the Phantom.

I don't understand

LOL glider posted a video in portrait orientation during a force 10 gale yesterday, who does that apart from your girlfriend? ;-)

The great thing about these multirotors is the competition. Each will drive the other to add features and lower the price. That's what I don't understand about fanboys. You should be happy that others companies are offering different features at a better price.

Forgot to say you lost all credibility when you posted a video in portrait.

But you did make one valid point RE the gimbal rotation on the H is better than moving the Phantom.

The video demonstrates how steady the craft holds in wind when in position hold. The P4 wanders all over the place, which results in the video wandering. At long distances it won't show up.

You're just an agitator, nothing worth reading or responding to anymore. Bye.

I have sold my Yuneec H and have bought a Phantom 4

enough said

the P4 is far superior in every way

thats life

Bravo Eric pour ces tests très poussés, il y a peut-être un paramètre qui n'a pas été soulevé ( ou alors , j'ai mal lu), c'est l'esthétique
Même à 1 euros, je ne volerai jamais avec un P2, 3 ou 4, je trouve ces engins tout simplement laids, et pour moi cela fait parti du produit.
Le MAVIC, ok, je vais essayer, le design me convient mieux ;)
Encore merci pour tes efforts

Bravo Eric pour ces tests très poussés, il y a peut-être un paramètre qui n'a pas été soulevé ( ou alors , j'ai mal lu), c'est l'esthétique
Même à 1 euros, je ne volerai jamais avec un P2, 3 ou 4, je trouve ces engins tout simplement laids, et pour moi cela fait parti du produit.
Le MAVIC, ok, je vais essayer, le design me convient mieux ;)
Encore merci pour tes efforts

English, Monsieur? My French is a bit rusty, lol.

I have sold my Yuneec H and have bought a Phantom 4

enough said

the P4 is far superior in every way

thats life
The aim of this thread is to avoid such a stupid posts. No the P4 is not superior in every way. Once again, Both of these machines have qualities and defaults. It depends on what you want to do with.
The only thing is to find out in what situation you should prefer one to the other

Reactions: Tuna
Preparing the flight :

- the remote :
I prefer the Typhoon because the remote is all integrated. Switch on and that's it. Unfortunatly, there is problem with the time needed for the connexion between the ST16 and the CGO3. Sometimes it takes until 2 minutes to bind. But what are two minutes !!!
I'm not fan of the Phantom because you need to use an external tablet (and you need a very good tablet), so you have to set it up on the remote, plug the usb cable, start the app. All is well done but it's boring for me. Good luck if you want to add the sunshade (not provided with the P4). You have to perform many handlings to install it correctly. The sunshade of the TH is much more simple (and provided) even if the efficiency is.... questionable. TH wins
- the drone :
no problem for the both, installing the propellers and the battery is easy. One good point for the P4 who has the SD card slot in the body. It's much more easy to insert than in the TH where you have to "fight" with the gimbal to insert the Card. P4 wins
- the software :
before take off, the P4 gives you more informations about the battery capacity. I often use the automatic take off on the P4 because you just have one click to do it.
One thing I hate of the TH is that if you have to change the battery, the connexion with the camera is lost (normal) but the settings (balance, shutter speed) are lost too !
P4 wins

Here is the video. Finally there is not so much lap between the H and the P4, but the P4 wins (if you don't install the sunshade !).

WIND :

Yesterday we had a windy day : 15 to 20 knots so I went to the sea to shoot some friends on the water.
Take off from a flat concrete surface OK for the TY and the P4.
Take off from the beach (not flat) is very hard for the P4.
The both drones were able to hover but the P4 seems to produce much more efforts to stay in place and sometimes I noticed variations of altitude (maybe the IPS is disturbed by the waves).
Flying is not a problem,
Filming is not a problem but sometimes I had propellers of the P4 in the field of view.
I give an point to the P4 and the gauge of the battery wich is much more precise than the TH (when you 800 m down wind from the beach you really want to be sure that you have enough power to come back)
I was even impressed by the tiny P4, but when I needed to go up wind with the P4, I was obliged to switch in sport mode to have much power.
No problem for the TH, it is solid as a rock.
Landing on a flat concrete surface OK for the TY and the P4.
Landing on the beach (not flat) is very hard... impossible for the P4 so hand catch.

PS :
I did not put a propeller correctly on the typhoon,
So 30 seconds after take off, the propeller has gone :eek: ...
Message of error motor on the ST16...
Controling and landing with 5 motors without any problem :cool:

Here is the small video of that day. There were many kitesurfers so impossible (too dangerous) to go down to go near the action. I don't tell who did what. Try to discover !

WINNER IS :
- TH is more secure with the TH and its 6 propellers.
- P4 is more secure with the precise gauge of power.
It's a draw...

Strong wind :

So I tried to catch my friend on the water. The wind was strong (25/28 knots) but not gusty. The TH and the P4 had the same settings (ND16 or ND16CL and 100 iso shutter 1/50).
About the behavior :
- I feel more secure with the typhoon. thanks to the 360 gimbal, it is much more easy to "catch" a windsurfer and follow him. But I don't feel so secure because of the imprecise gauge of the battery on the ST16. I set my own stopwatch to 12 minutes and then I come back over the beach whatever the gauge shows me. I had to turn the GPS off because I was unable to go beyond 30 mph when on.
- The P4 produce much more effort to fly but it does the job. As it is impossible to use the course lock function in such a situation, I had to fly like a crab and sometimes I had the landing gear in my field of view because the P4 bends a lot to fight against the wind. I really appreciate the sport mode that gives you the ability to go very fast (40 mph) with the GPS on, the software that gives you precise informations about the battery. I didn't have problem with altitude over the water with IPS on.
As a conclusion,
for filming windsurfers (speed, not waves) I prefer the H because of its behavior and its gimble, BUT I love the P4 because of the power gauge so usefull when you are a little bit too far from the beach.
for filming something more calm like sup paddle, kayak etc, the H wins (because I stay near the beach so I'm so worried with the battery.
And now I can really say that the video quality (in 4K) is the same on both drone. I would like to test the HD at 60 or 120.

first plan from behind : TH
second on the top side : P4
third on the top front : TH
fourth on the top side : P4
the rest : TH

Eric, nice job with your video comparisons. And what beautiful wind surfing shots! Was the white balance off for the red tinge to the water?
It seems to me your main complaint about the TH is the battery life indicator, or lack of it. I use the voltage reading to gauge when to turn back. I've also flown in high wind with no problems.
Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Rayray
As a long time Phantom owner, and a Typhoon H owner (as of May) I'll sum up my likes & dislikes of each:

TYPHOON H - When used for VLOGS and PHOTOGRAPHY
LIKE: Six motors. No other hex on the market at this price point
LIKE: User selectable on the fly stick input control (i.e., Turtle Mode - a photographer's dream)
LIKE: Trim Mode
LIKE: 360 Camera
LIKE: Display built into controller
LIKE: Controller has many physical switches for options
DISLIKE: Auto White Balance - Can't trust it
DISLIKE: Size - Ridiculous to strap to your back and take anywhere. Also seems to freak people out when in the air.
DISLIKE: Limited camera options
DISLIKE: Battery (no display) & battery performance
DISLIKE: Yuneec pilot interface App

PHANTOM 3 (PRO) & PHANTOM 4 - When used for VLOGS and PHOTOGRAPHY
LIKE: Size - Somewhat portable for travelling in backpack on back. Most people don't even notice it flying.
LIKE: Camera & Camera options
LIKE: Auto Whit Balance - if you apply no manual settings you'll still end up with quality footage.
LIKE: Battery and how it works well with DJI GO App to inform pilot of remaining power based on distance
LIKE: DJI GO App (tons of information and options available)
DISLIKE: Trying to film a moving object smoothly (very difficult without noticeable course corrections)
DISLIKE: If not careful you can get props in frame, especially on very windy days

Reactions: Eric
Oh, did I mention the P4 works for crap on most Androids? I have three; the screen often breaks up and gets garbled. People say "buy an IPhone or IPad". Uh huh, invest another $400-700 just to fly. No Apples for me thank you. Nobody will convince me DJI can't easily fix this issue with Androids, but P4's are sold in Apple stores. Hmmm.

DJI no like Android..

Glider. You have to remember that Apple is the only company that makes the iPhone or iPad whereas many, many companies make all types of Android devices. For this reason it is without a doubt that the DJI GO App (IOS version) will work well with an iPhone or iPAD as the hardware is known. When it comes to Android, you could have all types of conflicts because there is no way to make such an App that will run perfectly on every Android hardware device that sells for $59 up to $800. I use a Samsung Note 5 which is probably one of the brightest and zero lag phone for the DJI GO App (works like a dream). For a Tablet I use the old 2013 Nexus 7 which DJI recommends & again it is flawless.

Oh.... and as far as DJI and Apple are concerned. Most Apple tablet owners are upset because Apple does not include a GPS chip in its tablets unless you buy the versions with cell data service. So many Apple users of iPads are left without several features that Android users & Typhoon H owners get naturally.

Glider. You have to remember that Apple is the only company that makes the iPhone or iPad whereas many, many companies make all types of Android devices. For this reason it is without a doubt that the DJI GO App (IOS version) will work well with an iPhone or iPAD as the hardware is known. When it comes to Android, you could have all types of conflicts because there is no way to make such an App that will run perfectly on every Android hardware device that sells for $59 up to $800. I use a Samsung Note 5 which is probably one of the brightest and zero lag phone for the DJI GO App (works like a dream). For a Tablet I use the old 2013 Nexus 7 which DJI recommends & again it is flawless.

Oh.... and as far as DJI and Apple are concerned. Most Apple tablet owners are upset because Apple does not include a GPS chip in its tablets unless you buy the versions with cell data service. So many Apple users of iPads are left without several features that Android users & Typhoon H owners get naturally.

I would agree except that if you look at their compatibility list, they are almost all old obsolete PHONES.

My Solo and Arducopter/Mavlink work perfectly on all my Androids; popular brands like Samsung Galaxy Tab xx and Motorola. DJI is in no hurry to fix this.

DJI is in no hurry to fix this.
Why? The Mavic launch video should have been clear "Available at Apple stores where Apple product specialists are going to be trained on the Mavic" seems Apple and DJI are in bed. Funny thing is the DJI Go App has terrible reviews on the App Store.

Disclaimer - And I'm a long time Apple user and yes, it's getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie