Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UK 'Drone Police' ?

Does not surprise me, being a UK native I see the sad way Brits behave on a daily basis.We had recent local rag coverage of a 'local hero" who reported a drone flying near Burrator reservoir on Dartmoor in Devon.
He was apparently worried that his families privacy was being invaded!
Even a local professional UAV operator (no names) chipped in saying that "i have had drones flying a few feet from my face at times, I have no idea who was flying them" REALLY.
I myself have been challenged and threatened with Police action on two occasions now, I was flying perfectly legally away from all the usual trouble spots, abiding by the drone code and using drone assist app to check flight safety.
You can guarantee that Police will confiscate your drone to check its footage and with UK police at least you will be lucky to ever see it again, they will take over a year to check it out then lose it....
Not likely to happen to me, as the local Sheriff (capitalized to indicate the elected guy, not a deputy...) is a personal friend. He told me that, if there's ever any "footage issues", to demand a warrant (4th amendment). If presented one, just hand over the SD card; they can NOT take the UAV itself (5th amendment). If I'm given any crap, I'm to call him and HE will ream the deputy a new one right then and there - he's done it before when one of his boys was tailgating me. I'd have no heartburn waiting for the return of an SD card. They're plentiful and cheap. I'd give up the cheaper 16G card from the camera; they don't need to know about the 64G one in the ST, which I can pop, palm and pocket while "discussing" the situation; sorry guys, my telemetry is mine.

Last edited:
Does not surprise me, being a UK native I see the sad way Brits behave on a daily basis.We had recent local rag coverage of a 'local hero" who reported a drone flying near Burrator reservoir on Dartmoor in Devon.
He was apparently worried that his families privacy was being invaded!
Even a local professional UAV operator (no names) chipped in saying that "i have had drones flying a few feet from my face at times, I have no idea who was flying them" REALLY.
I myself have been challenged and threatened with Police action on two occasions now, I was flying perfectly legally away from all the usual trouble spots, abiding by the drone code and using drone assist app to check flight safety.
You can guarantee that Police will confiscate your drone to check its footage and with UK police at least you will be lucky to ever see it again, they will take over a year to check it out then lose it....
"He was apparently worried that his families privacy was being invaded!"....in Great Britain, where you can't move without being on some surveillance camera, just about any where you go ? That one was funny.............People who do not fly these drones, seem to believe they are the Devil's tool and are so afraid of them..that they go into a panic every time they see one........Flying RC aircraft, has been a popular hobby for many decades, now all of a sudden..all RC aircraft are considered DRONES , and are required to be under government control....... I can see problems. flying them around a city where there really is not enough room, to fly safely, and here in the U.S. we have the 400 foot rule, of course if I flew mine at 400 feet high, I couldn't see it to control it, so for me that is no problem , I always keep it in sight...I am almost 70 years old now so that keeps me from going very far and still be able to see it.......I just enjoy being able to fly around and take scenery pictures.....I can't imagine anybody being interesting enough to me, to want to use my drone to spy on them, and this thing sounds like a swarm of bees coming, so sneaking up on somebody is a joke. and if you are high enough that it can't be heard, they would be so small in the picture, you couldn't make them out any ways, and I know my drone camera dose not have a zoom lens on it......Sorry, just noticed, I got a bit long winded...........................

Privacy is a legitimate concern, but those concerns should be brought up on the legislative table. Here is the U.S. people think they have privacy, and rights to privacy, but in most situations that is not the case. They have a right against "unreasonable search and seizure" but unless their particular state has enacted specific privacy laws they have almost no right to privacy. Credit card transactions are monitored by the IRS, all electronic media communications are captured, reviewed via sophisticated data extraction programs, and saved by the NSA and other agencies, police departments use license plate tagging to establish travel history, cell phones capture a constantly updating stream of location history, and various law enforcement agencies employ faux cellular repeaters, causing cell phones to "think" they are linking with a legitimate repeater, to extract almost everything from the cellphones of everyone that links to the repeater. In some cases they fly aircraft with such devices to cover a larger territory. Then we have the larger cities that use a multitude of security cameras that capture the faces of people that are then loaded into a facial feature recognition database for future reference. Anything that hits the web is wide open and has no possibility of not being back tracked to the point of origin. Your phone, desk, or laptop has a MAC address that is particular to the device that is easily tracked. Topping all that are the numerous surveillance satellites employed by our governments and they are absolutely watching a great many things that we do. Where do people think Google obtains their satellite views, which, BTW, are resolution controlled by governments? Google and FB are noting everything you do on their sites or with their search engines, and selling that information to anyone that wants to buy it. YouTube maintains your viewing history and no amount of deleting items viewed eliminates that history from their database. Those that travel internationally have their travel history stored in another permanent database. All of this stuff can be linked and accessed at any time by those with the power to do so.

So there is indeed a privacy issue, but the problem is not one significantly applicable to the private use of consumer drones. It's on a much larger scale, one that needs to be reigned in by 'the people" at the national/international government levels. That's not going to happen because governments are nothing without a means to control, and information is but one of many means to control.

Reactions: mcbutler
Pat,
A pleasure to read your posy sir.
Far too many people concentrate on small worries regarding such things as privacy whilst forgetting the major issues.
I read somewhere that in the UK you are photographed and recorded hundreds of times a day!
Just this week I lent a friend of mine a DeWalt paint stripping heat gun. I sent him a text saying hey, have you finished with my gun yet? After I pressed send I thought that for sure somewhere maybe the NSA that would be picked up and flagged.
So, if I disappear from the forum I am on the way to the US in a straight jacket.

Kind regards

Mark.

Lol, but prolly not far from the tree. Look for some men in black cars to come knocking:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mcbutler

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers