Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Unable to use filters with C23

Reaction score
Well, I had to remove the 40.5mm nd filter I was attempting to use on my c23 and reinstall the default lens protector that came with the drone. I actually spent around $70 on an ND and a hoya super hmc UV for it, which I now can't do anything with. Apparently, the gimbal is precisely balanced only for the c23 without filters or ANY additional weight whatsoever, because it vibrated excessively with the filter installed after a few moments of turning on the drone. Terrible shaking in the image. The problem stopped immediately when filter was removed and I went back to the factory setup w/ no filter. I even tried holding the camera level while powering on. No go. My big question is, why does Yuneec include a filter adapter ring if you can't use filters?

My big question is, why does Yuneec include a filter adapter ring if you can't use filters?
It's good you recognized the problem and removed the filter before damage occurred.

You may be able to add a counterweight to the back of the camera to offset the extra weight of the new filters.

Thanks very much for your responses, guys. It appears to be safe to counter-balance the camera by what you're saying. So, I guess counter-weight it so it falls exactly as it does without filter - before powering on. When you remove the gimbal lock it tilts upwards about 20°...

Thanks very much for your responses, guys. It appears to be safe to counter-balance the camera by what you're saying. So, I guess counter-weight it so it falls exactly as it does without filter - before powering on. When you remove the gimbal lock it tilts upwards about 20°...
Actually, you should counter balance it so that it stands level when not powered on. If your camera normally tilts up by about 20°, it may already have a slight balance issue.

I used a thin, lead weight (could be any heavy material) with double sided tape to counter the weight of the ND filter. Keep it thin as there is limited clearance for the camera in the gimbal. I trimmed the weight so that the camera was level with the filter in place when it was not activated. That included placement so that it was level horizontally and front to back. Therefore the starting point is neutral for the motors and sensors in the camera. The use of double sided tape does not mar the camera and can be easily removed as needed. This has been working very well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4924.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 12
I used Golf Club Balancing Tape. I weighed the filter(s) to x.xx grams accuracy, then carefully cut/trimmed a small piece of the tape to get as close as I could to the same weight. Then just stuck it on the back of the camera.

The only penalty was having to use a UV filter when I wasn't using an ND for balance reasons.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I used a thin, lead weight (could be any heavy material) with double sided tape to counter the weight of the ND filter. Keep it thin as there is limited clearance for the camera in the gimbal. I trimmed the weight so that the camera was level with the filter in place when it was not activated. That included placement so that it was level horizontally and front to back. Therefore the starting point is neutral for the motors and sensors in the camera. The use of double sided tape does not mar the camera and can be easily removed as needed. This has been working very well for me.
Slw74, can you tell me what lead material you're using - that you can trim - and where you can get it?

Slw74, can you tell me what lead material you're using - that you can trim - and where you can get it?
I used oval shaped one ounce fishing weights. I pounded them with a hammer until the desired thickness (about 2 mm.) and then trimmed the piece with tin snips. I used one inch wide extreme 3M double sided tape which secures the flat weight very well, but still allows you to remove it without damaging the camera housing.

Still cannot use filters (at least the ones I'm trying to use, which appear to be too heavy). They are Tiffen 40.5mm ND and UV filters that fit the adapter ring and screw securely onto the c23. I counter balanced the camera with the lead weights until the camera sat perfectly level before turning on --- and then upon turning on a terrible loud whinning noise and shake occurs. Apparently, the C23 doesn't like ANY additional weight, or the gimbal freaks out. Some of you are obviously not having this problem by counter-balancing, so can you please tell me which ND filters you are using to not add the excessive weight? Again, the Tiffen's appear to be too heavy (or my gimbal is weak(?)

I use Gobe 40.5mm filters and a small piece of lead tape for balance. I have each step ND4 through ND1000. Gobe filters are very lightweight, great quality glass, metal ring, they all stack together and come with threaded end caps to protect them. Plus they plant trees when you buy their filters and register. They are on the slightly spendy side, but with ND filters, you truly get what you pay for. Besides, it's not like this is an inexpensive hobby/business. I also use their 77ø and 95ø filters on my Canon L lenses with wonderful results

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval