Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Understanding turns - for the newbie

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am SURE this is probably a silly question, and is going to have those among you with more than 5 mins experience flying the H laughing at me... (I can live with that)...
BUT.. When flying the H, does it every actually "turn"?
So far I have had 2 flights, and basically it flies out forward and then I can go left or right (with it still facing forward) until I bring it back to me. At that point, it basically flies back to me "backwards" (still facing the way it took off).
I grew up flying radio control airplanes for a short time and am more used to a craft that will turn a full 180 degrees and fly back at me facing me.
So, I am just wondering is this just how the Typhoon H flies, or am I just not doing something right in my turns?
Thanks,
Alan
PS... I have so far LOVED everything about the Typhoon. Well, except the geo boundaries, but even those I cant really complain about.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
I don't own a H , so don't know it modes , but with of any other flight controller you can use or should be using banked turns , which is using the rudder and aileron at the same time to turn.
But I guess that was due to the days of fixed cameras , which pointed in the direction of flight.

After a while (he says with about 2 hours total flying time....remember, I only have one f~#%}ing battery!) I've managed to do circles and almost figure 8's.
You have to use a combination of left and right sticks... Start slowly.... With loads of space around you!... Go forward - rt stick - the carefully yaw left or right with the left stick. As the craft is moving forward, it will slowly turn around, and depending on space and the amount of "welly" you give the sticks, will gradually do a full 360 turn. Try it out, but take your time and slowly does it until you get the hang of it.

You really should practice with a cheap toy quadcopter, something like a Hubsan or a Syma, then you can push it to its limits and if you crash no damage is done!

Reactions: DroneClone
You really should practice with a cheap toy quadcopter, something like a Hubsan or a Syma, then you can push it to its limits and if you crash no damage is done!

+ 1 on that, get a cheap toy quad or helicopter to learn the basics.
The advantage of gps is, hands off the controller while you regain control.

I had a Syma... X8W.... Had a mind of its own!
I know we're talking 10 times the price with the H, but hey, I was always on edge the the cheaper one... Any sort of slight breeze was a problem ... The H? Silky smooth. If you're not sure of what to do... Stop and it sits there until you take over again.... So much easier and forgiving as far as I'm concerned.
I actually enjoy flying now!

I know we're talking 10 times the price with the H, but hey, I was always on edge the the cheaper one... Any sort of slight breeze was a problem ... The H? Silky smooth. If you're not sure of what to do... Stop and it sits there until you take over again.... So much easier and forgiving as far as I'm concerned.

Because a cheap quad / helicopter is so unstable that's why you want it, to program your brain to react automatically.
Technology is good , a self driving car may be good , but you still need to know how to turn the wheel just in case it wants to move lanes into a trucks path.
gps on quad / hex , makes things easier, but you still need to know how to control it without gps , to get your craft back if it tries to fly away, ooops sorry, forgot I'm not on a dji forum.

For sure!

Because a cheap quad / helicopter is so unstable that's why you want it, to program your brain to react automatically.
Technology is good , a self driving car may be good , but you still need to know how to turn the wheel just in case it wants to move lanes into a trucks path.
gps on quad / hex , makes things easier, but you still need to know how to control it without gps , to get your craft back if it tries to fly away, ooops sorry, forgot I'm not on a dji forum.
You're missing the point here Peter a.....
The whole thing is I can control it!
Gps has nothing do with controlling the craft, just stabilizes it as you're flying.
"A self drive car" comparison? Really?, gps is not doing the driving as you put it... As far as I know I'm doing the driving, the orange Syma was an accident waiting to happen as far as I'm concerned. I learned more in the first 10 minutes or so with the H than I did over hours with the cheaper one, as I was so concerned about hitting something or worse, someone! Also, I went through about 4 sets of props with the Syma because of slight adjustments by me on landing, even after hours of practice. Maybe it was just me!
Haven't had one problem with the H, virtually perfect touchdown each and every flight. My 8 year old grandson does his own complete flights including take off and landing. I wouldn't have let him anywhere near my previous one.
In closing, great if you can't buy anything better, (I wouldn't have progressed to the Typhoon if I hadn't tried the Syma first)

Hi guys,
I am SURE this is probably a silly question, and is going to have those among you with more than 5 mins experience flying the H laughing at me... (I can live with that)...
So far I have had 2 flights, and basically it flies out forward and then I can go left or right (with it still facing forward) until I bring it back to me. At that point, it basically flies back to me "backwards" (still facing the way it took off).
I grew up flying radio control airplanes for a short time and am more used to a craft that will turn a full 180 degrees and fly back at me facing me.
So, I am just wondering is this just how the Typhoon H flies, or am I just not doing something right in my turns?
Thanks,
Alan
PS... I have so far LOVED everything about the Typhoon. Well, except the geo boundaries, but even those I cant really complain about.
To turn the H use the throttle stick (left stick) side to side to rotate the unit on its axis. Push the throttle stick left and the unit will rotate left, push right and the unit will rotate right. Try this first with the H just hovering (keeping the throttle in the center position). Keep in mind that the H has a lot of mass and when trying to "turn" while moving the H will "drift" beyond the intended turn point.

For more advanced user: Use the right stick with care when trying to make a banked turn. To make a banked turn, while the H is moving forward, push the left stick to the left at the same time push the right stick to the left. Alternatively, pushing both sticks to the right will bank turn to the right.

To turn the H use the throttle stick (left stick) side to side to rotate the unit on its axis. Push the throttle stick left and the unit will rotate left, push right and the unit will rotate right. Try this first with the H just hovering (keeping the throttle in the center position). Keep in mind that the H has a lot of mass and when trying to "turn" while moving the H will "drift" beyond the intended turn point.

For more advanced user: Use the right stick with care when trying to make a banked turn. To make a banked turn, while the H is moving forward, push the left stick to the left at the same time push the right stick to the left. Alternatively, pushing both sticks to the right will bank turn to the right.
You're making me feel obsolete here Mortalis!
Did you see my post at #3?

Seachange01: What you are experiencing is Smart Mode. The craft doesn't change orientation, but moves according to your right stick (forwards, left, right, back). The yaw on your left stick will rotate the craft, but it still moves the same, back right stick brings it back to you regardless of where it is pointing. This is a safe mode for those who can get disoriented when learning. If you switch to Angle mode, then it will react like most other birds. Forward on the right stick always moves it in the direction it is pointing which is controlled by the yaw on the left stick. This is how most folks fly. I didn't see anyone above really answering your question. Or, I misread you altogether, sorry.

Last edited:
Actually, I 'm on the fence about using a non GPS quad for beginners if they are starting on GPS. There are some things that one learns from using one that are helpful but there are other things like shutting down the power when in trouble that are not so good.

Seachange01: What you are experiencing is Smart Mode. The craft doesn't change orientation, but moves according to your right stick (forwards, left, right, back). The yaw on your left stick will rotate the craft, but it still moves the same, back right stick brings it back to you regardless of where it is pointing. This is a safe mode for those who can get disoriented when learning. If you switch to Attitude mode, then it will react like most other birds. Forward on the right stick always moves it in the direction it is pointing which is controlled by the yaw on the left stick. This is how most folks fly. I didn't see anyone above really answering your question. Or, I misread you altogether, sorry.
Good point K3
No one asked what mode the OP was flying in. Should have been the first question asked.

Hi guys,
Thanks,
Alan

If your flying in Smart mode the bird will handle just like your describing.
Try Angle mode, now you can yaw the bird and be able to change direction of flight.
Keep plenty of altitude and have fun!

The H relies heavily on GPS. Turn off GPS and you'll quickly find out just how much it is relied on for stable flight.

I'm used to Arducopter flying in "stabilize mode" which uses neither GPS or barometer. That's the best way to learn to fly. Both make a huge difference in revealing true pilot skills should either be disabled.

Gps has nothing do with controlling the craft, just stabilizes it as you're flying.

The H relies heavily on GPS. Turn off GPS and you'll quickly find out just how much it is relied on for stable flight.

That's what I was saying when technology fails, you are in the deep do do.
If you totally reliant on technology you are asking for trouble.

Get cheap helicopter and learn to hover on one spot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval