Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

used purchase

Reaction score
Website
daytonadrone.com
Hello Yuneec Pilots,
I'm looking to drag out some information from experienced Typhoon owners. I am looking to purchase several used or rebuilt typhoon drones for my drone club.
it is our intent to do pilot training and certifying pilots to fly the 520e for our company but want an inexpensive training option.
The information I seek is
1. anyone have experience with the ebay sellers of the typhoon
2. is there certain models to avoid
3 is it worth looking for st16s control over st16
4 Is there any professional opinions on this and recommendations
Thanks

Hello Yuneec Pilots,
I'm looking to drag out some information from experienced Typhoon owners. I am looking to purchase several used or rebuilt typhoon drones for my drone club.
it is our intent to do pilot training and certifying pilots to fly the 520e for our company but want an inexpensive training option.
Thanks

I have no experience with Ebay sellers but here are my thoughts to your questions.

Keep in mind that when it comes to 'Typhoons' there are some basics. First there is the 480 (mm) Typhoon, it comes in 2 models, the standard and the 'Pro'. They are basically identical except the Pro model came with an extra battery and the wizard wand which; for all intents and purposes, is useless. They both carry the CG03+ and both are controlled by an ST-16 ONLY and cannot be controlled by an ST-16S.

Then there are the 520 (mm) models - the H Plus, H3 and the 520 models - these look similar to the standard Typhoon but are completely different apart from looks. They have much better flight controllers and also, far better cameras. It goes without saying all of the 520 variants can only be controlled by an ST-16S. So you cannot change flight controllers for either model.

If I were picking (only) between the two Typhoon models as a training platform for the 520 and money was no option I would get the Plus - but then you essentially are flying a 520. If money was a consideration, the Typhoon 480 can be had fairly cheap and as far as operation go, look and sort of act like a 520 model.

However, if it were me wanting to train pilots to operate more advanced models like the 520 I probably would not start with a Typhoon at all. I would break the training onto two classes - Basic and advanced.

In basic training I would find an inexpensive drone that has good support and easy to find replacement parts. Almost all drones fly and respond to controls the same way, if a pilot can safely operate (for instance) a small quadcopter - then moving to a larger drone like a 520 hexacopter, would only require familiarization with specific components such as camera, control interface, preflight and so on.

I am of the opinion, that the 'flying' portion of drone operation is easy, in fact we could teach it to a monkey because drones are so automated - they in fact are flying themselves and the pilot just tells it where to fly to. It is all of the other parts of operations that requires a pilot have the necessary training and in my opinion, most of that training should be done on the ground, long before they are given the controls to fly.

Therefore in basic training (if it were me) I would break it into about a 75% classroom before even touching a controller and then 25% basic flying of a starter drone, and when students pass the basic class, I would move them to Advanced and let them fly the 520.

The mistakes most pilots make that cause crashes and loss of drones are not usually because of lack of familiarity with a particular drone (but this does happen). Most losses occur from poor or non-existent decision making and procedure following abilities of the pilot.

A pilot (for instance) that would find themselves two miles across a river with 10% battery, will make that same mistake with any drone. So I guess my point is: the trainer does not have to be, or resemble, the drone that the pilots will later be flying.

I could not ask for a better response. Very helpful. Thanks
as far as teaching monkeys my helicopter flight instructor told me he could teach a monkey to fly, and it cost me about 30k because I guess my skills are less than a primate. I start skills development today with a brand new 520e. I am placing an order for 10 more so if I can not crash for a few weeks I will have parts. Your recommendation to fly a basic drone to begin with is right on but the intention is not to confuse with different systems or controllers but teach muscle memory . your point "The mistakes most pilots make that cause crashes and loss of drones are not usually because of lack of familiarity with a particular drone " This is well taken, lots of great insight.
I would have to say my decision is primarily based on the airframe (6 rotor) and promoting Yuncee drone in general.
My final decision is based on you answering this. I realize the Yuncee drones Typhoone & st16 might have has issues but it's worth it to stay with simular pieces. the question is about the controller, are they simular enough to build memories on switches, telemetry, visuals for a easy transfer to the 520e, this is a no brainer for me if they are simular. Today I get a 520e, I will probably purchase an ebay reconditioned typhoon tomorrow, depending on your observation of the controller. Please don't Think I have discounted any of your advice, your response was straight professional drone operator insight and of great value. ebay: YUNEEC - Typhoon H with CGO3+ 4K Camera / ST16 PRO / 90 Day Warranty

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale w
I could not ask for a better response. Very helpful. Thanks
You're welcome

the question is about the controller, are they simular enough to build memories on switches, telemetry, visuals for a easy transfer to the 520e, this is a no brainer for me if they are simular.

Yes, they are very similar looking and the switches and knobs are in the same place. However, the screen and menus are very different. I can say that I was an experienced pilot that went from a Phantom 2 to the Typhoon H and then to a Typhoon H Plus and the transitions were very straight forward. One of the things that I carried over from my RC days is that when you get a new controller is to 'hanger fly'. Basically just holding the transmitter and being able to call out what each knob, switch position and stick does.

A word of Caution if you do get the Typhoon 480s as trainers. Yuneec has installed a very peculiar flight mode called "Smart Mode' and many numbers of pilots have had crashes because they did not understand what it was or how it worked. Other than that the 480 is a fairly bullet proof drone. Good Luck.

As for the 'teaching monkeys' comment ;) That was a little tongue in cheek I admit, but coming from flying RC for 43 years, the first time I 'piloted' a drone my first thought was of a line from a couple pilots in the movie 'Battle of Britain' They had just witnessed a bad landing and made the quote - you can teach monkeys to fly better than that.

You're welcome

Yes, they are very similar looking and the switches and knobs are in the same place. However, the screen and menus are very different. I can say that I was an experienced pilot that went from a Phantom 2 to the Typhoon H and then to a Typhoon H Plus and the transitions were very straight forward. One of the things that I carried over from my RC days is that when you get a new controller is to 'hanger fly'. Basically just holding the transmitter and being able to call out what each knob, switch position and stick does.

A word of Caution if you do get the Typhoon 480s as trainers. Yuneec has installed a very peculiar flight mode called "Smart Mode' and many numbers of pilots have had crashes because they did not understand what it was or how it worked. Other than that the 480 is a fairly bullet proof drone. Good Luck.

As for the 'teaching monkeys' comment ;) That was a little tongue in cheek I admit, but coming from flying RC for 43 years, the first time I 'piloted' a drone my first thought was of a line from a couple pilots in the movie 'Battle of Britain' They had just witnessed a bad landing and made the quote - you can teach monkeys to fly better than that.
Or purchase the flight simulator and have them master the controller for the st16 first.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
I have bought several Yuneec batteries through ebay, based on their money-back guarantee for safety. I've only had to return one, for which I was refunded immediately. I guess it would be a bit of a pain to have to pack and return a whole drone kit though, but at least you wouldn't lose your money.

can you tell me about the flight sim. i thought I read it was discontinued. I just purchased a st16s controller that was posted today on ebay, this could be a great rainy day tool
They are available on yuneecskins.com
It teaches you how to use the controller and actually how to control the whole drone right from your computer monitor.
Your controller connects to your computer and you fly as if you’re flying with a real drone on your computer

Last edited:
Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
Hello Yuneec Pilots,
Thanks
I purchased an H on Ebay from the following link. It was brand new and 1/2 the price from Yuneec. It flies perfectly. YUNEEC - Typhoon H with CGO3+ 4K Cam / ST16 PRO Controller / 90 Day Warranty | eBay

Well I decision was made and a used plus has been had from ebay for 550 american. The seller a big ebay reseller had this with a scratch and no camera. Yes I have considered the no camera issue but This is about flying the airframe visual reference and also for me to be able to have a jeep so not to damage my new unit. We will see, an st16s controller alone was 250, plus will be lots of parts if needed

Or purchase the flight simulator and have them master the controller for the st16 first.
Yuneec Simulator Dongle and Software

Absolutely... Especially using the sim to master "GPS disabled" mode.

You can use this program with the ST-10 and ST-16 and have all controls except for camera since you are not hooked up to an aircraft during use. Unfortunately only available for Windows. But the best part is you can use this simulator and run it in GPS off mode... with NO risk to your bird. That part of the video (6:28) is linked here:

This link is how to disable GPS in the simulator

EDIT: One other aspect in the GPS off mode, is the ability to preset the amount of wind present, and from what direction... after all the point is, to learn how to correct for wind drift.

Teaching monkeys, anyone? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval