Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Used Typhoon H Advice

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used Typhoon H. Comes w/ 3 batts, backpack, 3 sets of propellers. Asking $500. The back story is that it was bought a little over a year ago as a present for a son. Father claims they turned it on indoors, but the son thought it was too complicated so it has never been flown and has sat in the original package since. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there and before I make that effort I thought I would ask for some things I should be considering. The firmware would need to be updated but I think my biggest concern is with the batts just sitting there all this time. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I think my biggest concern is with the batts just sitting there all this time.
If the batteries were stored at the proper voltage they should be fine. If they are puffy then you know they were stored at full charge.
The asking price seems reasonable if the batteries are not swollen. You can check them with a voltmeter. They should be about 15.2 volts.

Several potential issues in this scenario...

1) So the Father claims they turned it on... did they charge up the battery(ies) first? If so, they were left at full charge and are now trash. Add $150 cost (minimum) to replace those batteries.

2) Are you familiar with flying an H? If not, how are you going to test the unit to see if all functions as it should... before committing to the sale? If not, you will need to have someone familiar with the Typhoon, to test fly it. Since they have never flown it, you cannot be provided with any photos/video from the camera to see performance.

If you can get someone to go with you, instruct the current owner to charge up one of the batteries, so it can be test flown... if they refuse, don't even waste the gas or time.

3) OVERPRICED. Look at the listing I had for my setup... which was a TH Pro with RealSense

Typhoon H Pro Bundle

I included a LOT more and provided all kinds of video samples to show camera output. For the same $500.

You can get a refurbished H for less, with a warranty period. I say tread lightly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks to you both for the feedback. I think I will go refurbished so I can get the warranty and 30 day return option.

Also if I were buying from a distance, I might ask if they could send me the telemetry files, if their story is correct, it would contain a couple flights in China and then whatever they did after purchasing - unless they deleted them in which case you should pass.

Price wise, anywhere between $300.00 and $500.00 is fair. We should remember the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. No more, no less.

When buying used multirotors we should view used batteries as items that will need replaced regardless of their age. Unless the previous owner was meticulous in logging battery cycles, flight time, voltages, IR, and other electrical data we just don’t know what we are getting with used batteries. If we get good ones, cool, but don’t depend on that happening.

I picked up a factory refurbished unit from yuneec , it came with a one year warranty . It was on sale for $499. I agree with everyone else I bet the batteries are toasted unless he had the knowledge to bring them back down to storage voltages . Most likely he charged all the batters with stock charger , tried to use it in doors and found it to hard to control becuse he did not now what he was doing . I can almost bet it’s been crashed a few times too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece