Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Lesson Learned, Arrrgggg

Reaction score
Ok, so I was out this morning for a project at commercial business.:cool: I knew it would take easily 3 batteries to video this, wellllllll, on my last battery and last position video shot, I forgot to start video:eek:.
Lesson:
Drink more coffee, o_O double check, errr triple check video is on and finally bring more batteries than what is needed.:rolleyes::oops:waaaaaaaaaa. Other than that, everything went great.
3 batteries 27 minutes of video (batteries are wearing down). 39 minute drive one way, may have to go back and shoot the final.
I will be doing post production stills using Photoshop and LightRoom.
Hmm, picture looks better on my monitor than posted here?
YUN00001.mp4_000252252a.jpg

Ah nuts - but don't beat yourself up too badly - I think we've all probably done that at one time or another - I know I have... to err is human etc etc :) Hopefully you get some lighting conditions that are similar when you go back, for shot consistency...

As for your picture - apart from the jpeg compression artefacts, which is probably a forum thing, your overall colours and composition look great...

Reactions: AH-1G
And as if on cue, on this very evening's flyings, I lost a whole 15 minutes worth of flight footage because I was so relieved to get it down before the impending rain started I powered the H down before I stopped record, which I know perfectly well never to do ! So in the idiocy stakes, given that I had replied to this, and was utterly aware and newly reminded of how careful you need to be to save your video, I appear to be winning ! :) Hopeless :rolleyes:

Anyway, the rain started, I packed my H away and we both sheltered under my landing pad while the shower passed. 20 mins later, the skies were clear, and I was rewarded by some lovely golden hour sun and a nice rainbow, which I did record and successfully keep on the second flight :)

And as if on cue, on this very evening's flyings, I lost a whole 15 minutes worth of flight footage because I was so relieved to get it down before the impending rain started I powered the H down before I stopped record, which I know perfectly well never to do ! So in the idiocy stakes, given that I had replied to this, and was utterly aware and newly reminded of how careful you need to be to save your video, I appear to be winning ! :) Hopeless :rolleyes:

Anyway, the rain started, I packed my H away and we both sheltered under my landing pad while the shower passed. 20 mins later, the skies were clear, and I was rewarded by some lovely golden hour sun and a nice rainbow, which I did record and successfully keep on the second flight :)
If you power down before stopping the video you can often recover it by simply powering on again and startanother recording for a few seconds. Doing this properly closes the previous recording thereby recovering the file.

Reactions: AeroJ
Ok, so I was out this morning for a project at commercial business.:cool: I knew it would take easily 3 batteries to video this, wellllllll, on my last battery and last position video shot, I forgot to start video:eek:.
Lesson:
I've not done that often but when I have it's been important. I did it once on a commercial job for a farmer in North Yorkshire. Fortunately I had an extra battery (I always have at least one extra battery over the number I expect to use on a commercial job) and the farmer had gone off to do other things and had left me to it so he never knew that I'd blundered.

If you power down before stopping the video you can often recover it by simply powering on again and startanother recording for a few seconds. Doing this properly closes the previous recording thereby recovering the file.

Well ! Thank you for that - it appears to have worked in this case !! Nice one, FV - didn't know you could rescue those like that... looks like I've been lucky...

Well ! Thank you for that - it appears to have worked in this case !! Nice one, FV - didn't know you could rescue those like that... looks like I've been lucky...
You're welcome.
The procedure works almost all of the time. Important not to try doing any recovery on the file using a recovery tool as this usually fails and renders the file unrecoverable using the method above.

That happened to me once, about 5 years ago. ONCE. Now, as soon as props spin up, I hit the record button. Dice it up in post. It's too risky trying to get a clean in and out during a flight just using the start/stop button. You'll either start recording when you think you've stopped, or vice versa.

Lesson:
Drink more coffee, o_O double check, errr triple check video is on and finally bring more batteries than what is needed.:rolleyes::oops:waaaaaaaaaa. Other than that, everything went great.
3 batteries 27 minutes of video (batteries are wearing down). 39 minute drive one way, may have to go back and shoot the final.
View attachment 10763

Sounds Like the PIC and Camera Operator side of you did not hear the Director side of you announce 'Roll Tape, Action' :eek:;) I'm guilty of it on a regular basis, especially when shooting video.

On another note, that horizon looks good and straight;) and I like the little bit of depth you've given the picture.

Reactions: AH-1G
Not a drone thing but back in the eighties I was in Arizona In the winter and coming out of the mountains was this most amazing sunset . I quickly loaded a new roll of film in my Nikon SLR ( yes the old days with film not memory cards ) shot what I thought was a whole roll of great photos , got back home 2 days latter was eager to unload the film and have it procressed ,,, to my dismay I never loaded the film correctly in my haste to get a shot and the film never caught the first sprocket to load... once in a life time sunset shot and I goofed it

Lesson:
View attachment 10763
Where are that you have green grass ? Ours is all brown out here

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NetsolWater