Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Signal Boost

Reaction score
Afternoon,

Can anyone recommend a better antenna set up than the standard to boost video signal ? I am not looking to increase flight distance (500m in the UK) but have been suffering with video signal degrading a soon as something comes in between me and the Drone i.e a tree branch ! is there an replacement Antenna someone can recommend ? Also why I am typing does anyone know if Yuneec will ever solve the lag between pushing image capture and the actual picture being taken, its so frustrating and not an issue with DJI from memory

Steve

2.4 and 5.8 frequencies are both short wavelength and are easily blocked by obstructions, the type of antenna will not change that as they are extremely dependent on maintaining a clear transmission path, or line of sight, between the transmitter and receiver. Increasing signal strength through the use of different antennas or higher output power will not improve the signal’s ability to “see” through occlusions. They will improve range and/or improve signal in frequency cluttered areas though.

As Yuneec employs WiFi for video signal some amount of lag will remain present. At reasonable ranges Yuneec’s lag runs somewhere between 120ms and 200ms. Longer ranges increase lag times. DJI does not employ WiFi so the lag, or “latency” is not as great at longer distances, although at closer range the difference between Yuneec and DJI lag times is only about 10ms-30ms or so. The higher end DJI products, I-2 and up, have lower latency, but you pay a stiff price for that difference.

My experience has the “shutter sound” occurring well after a photo is taken. I don’t think there’s any perceptible lag between the time a shutter command is sent and when a photo is captured but there’s certainly a lot of lag between the time the button is pushed and when the artificial shutter opening and closing sound occurs. The shutter sound is being generated by programming within the ST-16. It’s not coming from the camera.

Last edited:
2.4 and 5.8 frequencies are both short wavelength and are easily blocked by obstructions, they type of antenna will not change that ad they are extremely dependent on maintaining a clear transmission path, or line of sight, between the transmitter and receiver. Increasing signal strength through the use of different antennas or higher output power will not improve the signal’s ability to “see” through occlusions. They will improve range and/or improve signal in frequency cluttered areas though.

As Yuneec employs WiFi for video signal some amount of lag will remain present. At reasonable ranges Yuneec’s lag runs somewhere between 120ms and 200ms. Longer ranges increase lag times. DJI does not employ WiFi so the lag, or “latency” is not as great at longer distances, although at closer range the difference between Yuneec and DJI lag times is only about 10ms-30ms or so. The higher end DJI products, I-2 and up, have lower latency, but you pay a stiff price for that difference.

Thanks for the great response, range is not the issue so I will save my money ! as for the lag, i take a picture and then it is 4-5 secs before the image is saved on my screen and the camera button stops revolving, can be very frustrating when you only have seconds to get the shots you need

Steve

The screen delay is indeed irritating. Trust the photo went to the SD card well before the capture was represented at the ST-16.

That helps not at all with your timing of a shot but at distances under 800’ or so what you see and what you shoot are only different by at most 1 second. I’m not consistently fast enough between recognition and action for that to matter but for those that are, running 4k video and pulling stills from the video would work well to avoid missing a shot.

Reactions: JackMTaco
running 4k video and pulling stills from the video would work well to avoid missing a shot.

Turtle mode is your friend, and this is what, I love about the H series is, because of this on the fly callout, when need to decrease a speed. 4K has plenty of dynamics to work with, might now be a true raw dynamics, but it is doable.

I don’t believe speed of the aircraft is part of the equation in this discussion.

I don’t believe speed of the aircraft is part of the equation in this discussion.

IF you are extracting stills from motion.

I only use my H for stills work, never for video, it really is a frustration with the camera delay, i moved to Yuneec from DJI as its a superb flying platform (had the H before the plus) and now the 1” camera is available i upgraded, the Plus is head and shoulders above the H but the camera delay is really annoying, my only other gripe is the slight pin cushioning still from images, not as bad as the old COg3 + but still something I was hoping they would have solved..

Steve

One of the things on the 'To Do' list with the Plus in terms of improvements is this lag time. I did a test where I shot a time lapse with the interval set at 5 seconds, I set a digital timer up in front of the camera and the actual time between pictures was between six and seven seconds. This is a drawback of the C23 when shooting JPG + DNG.

That dovetails with my attitude about Yuneec getting with the program. Bad enough they’re behind but how the heck can they expect to catch up if they can’t even be on time?[emoji37]

Afternoon,

Can anyone recommend a better antenna set up than the standard to boost video signal ? I am not looking to increase flight distance (500m in the UK) but have been suffering with video signal degrading a soon as something comes in between me and the Drone i.e a tree branch ! is there an replacement Antenna someone can recommend ? Also why I am typing does anyone know if Yuneec will ever solve the lag between pushing image capture and the actual picture being taken, its so frustrating and not an issue with DJI from memory

Steve
Never seen 500m reference anywhere, isn't it visual line of sight and Yuneec claim range is 1km? Ideal conditions play a large part on distance. 4hawks is a very good system to make the video more stable and less likely to break up and lose.

Never seen 500m reference anywhere, isn't it visual line of sight and Yuneec claim range is 1km? Ideal conditions play a large part on distance. 4hawks is a very good system to make the video more stable and less likely to break up and lose.

On my CAA course i was told the maximum distance is 500m, you need to apply for permission to fly beyond this as its considered the extreme range for seeing your drone (i for one cant see mine at 500m !!)

On my CAA course i was told the maximum distance is 500m, you need to apply for permission to fly beyond this as its considered the extreme range for seeing your drone (i for one cant see mine at 500m !!)
Sorry. You never mentioned the course, I was just referring to Yuneec specs, VLOS always, 500m is a meaningless number the CAA are quoting, for a hobbyist the visual sight could be more than 500m easily with larger copters, or significantly less.

Reactions: PatR and Steve0510
Sorry. You never mentioned the course, I was just referring to Yuneec specs, VLOS always, 500m is a meaningless number the CAA are quoting, for a hobbyist the visual sight could be more than 500m easily with larger copters, or significantly less.

i guess they err on the side of caution, to be honest I can't see why you would want to fly further than 500m anyway

There are a few legitimate reasons when performing some types of work but as already noted the aircraft has to be large enough to see at 500+ meters.

I only use my H for stills work, never for video, it really is a frustration with the camera delay, i moved to Yuneec from DJI as its a superb flying platform (had the H before the plus) and now the 1” camera is available i upgraded, the Plus is head and shoulders above the H but the camera delay is really annoying, my only other gripe is the slight pin cushioning still from images, not as bad as the old COg3 + but still something I was hoping they would have solved..

Steve
Concerning pincushion; are you referring to the slight horizon curvature produced by the C23 camera? You can use software like Corel PaintShopPro or Cyberlink PhotoDirector to fix that. Interestingly, I see from YT videos that some CGO3+ cameras have flat horizon (my two) and some have curved horizon. This is most noticeable when the horizon is not in the middle of the view.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dubiousflyer