Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Warning - CGO3+ camera lens upgrade

Reaction score
I figured this was worthy of letting others know about.
A while ago, I purchased the PixAero lens upgrade for my CGO3+ on my Typhoon H. I finally had some time to do the upgrade and have watched a couple of the videos on YT which have been very helpful, however, I have found that the lens mounting system for my camera is completely different to what I have seen.
After carefully picking away at the glue, I found that the original lens was actually just sitting in the housing - not threaded in at all. The worst part is that the housing attached to the sensor board will not accommodate my new lens as there is no threaded part to screw the new lens into.
This is extremely frustrating as I now have a dismantled camera and no way to upgrade with the new lens.

Has anyone else ever encountered this?

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    891.5 KB · Views: 105
  • lens2.jpg
    lens2.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 104
  • lens3.jpg
    lens3.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 101
  • lens1.jpg
    lens1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
^^That is the new lens kit that I have. The issue was that the existing housing (on the sensor board) had no threaded insert so I couldn't screw in the new lens. I have managed to remove the original housing from the sensor board (very carefully!!!) and have attached the new threaded housing and lens. I'll do a few flights in the next day or so and then check the video footage to make sure there aren't any issues. The sensor looked pretty clean so I just hope there isn't any specs of dust left on there. Time will tell.

Yes I ordered the same lens you did it came with a treadded mount. It works fine no issues. However, did you wrap the the threads with Teflon tape this will make it a tighter fit and less likely to Un screw. Also put a dab of hot glue "hot melt" at joint once focused to hold even more. Haven't had a issue on mine. Yet.

Last edited:
Yes I ordered the same lens you did it came with a treadded mount. It works fine no issues. However, did you wrap the the threads with Teflon tape this will make it a tighter fit and less likely to Un screw. Also put a dab of hot glue "hot melt" at joint once focused to hold even more. Haven't had a issue on mine. Yet.

Removing the original lens housing was not something I had considered, but if you take the time, it is achievable.
Thanks for the advice. I will do some focus tests with the new lens and then once I am happy with the focus adjustment, then I will lock it all into place.

Definately use the hot melt to solidly secure the lens. The Teflon tape will not permanently fix the lens and can allow lens movement when cleaning the lens, which changes the focal point.

You're welcome. I learned that the hard way and no need for anyone else to get an out of focus surprise during their next flight.

Any tips on the 'ideal' way to get the focus set?

I have a printout of the Ron Dexter focus pattern and am thinking of setting that at about 30-40 feet away and then trying to focus in on that. Not sure if there is a better/easier way to do it??

Yes I ordered the same lens you did it came with a treadded mount. It works fine no issues. However, did you wrap the the threads with Teflon tape this will make it a tighter fit and less likely to Un screw. Also put a dab of hot glue "hot melt" at joint once focused to old even more. Haven't had a issue on mine. Yet.
How difficult was it to change out the mount? was it glued down? I have only found videos on changing the lens only. Can anyone point me to a video on changing the mount plate?

Nevermind I found it.
I had a similar problem, I had bought a CGO3+ direct from Peau with the 8.27mm lens fitted. I damaged that beyond repair and as I live in the UK I didn't wan't to ship it back to the US. I bought a used CGO3+ but without realising I ended up with the glued in lens so could not attempt a lens swap.
Fortunately I was able to swap the board/lens assembly with the Peau version and have a good camera again. I spoke with Richard from whom I bought the camera and who produced this video who helped me through the process. It was fairly straightforeard and it describes the process quite well. Not quite the same as changing just the lens I know but just backing up the video really.

Reactions: AussieCate
I decided long ago it is not worth it.
Best get aquainted to the CGO 3+ and its character. Quite a good cam, not bad lense if focussed rightly.

:)

Reactions: rdonson
^^That is the new lens kit that I have. The issue was that the existing housing (on the sensor board) had no threaded insert so I couldn't screw in the new lens. I have managed to remove the original housing from the sensor board (very carefully!!!) and have attached the new threaded housing and lens. I'll do a few flights in the next day or so and then check the video footage to make sure there aren't any issues. The sensor looked pretty clean so I just hope there isn't any specs of dust left on there. Time will tell.[/QUO

It sounds like you are on the right path, Ant. The videos were a big help for me.

I purchased and installed a pixAero 6mm lens. The existing threaded mount was too short to focus the lens. The lens came with a new threaded mount that was also too short. I bought a longer threaded mount from Peau and finished the lens swap. Getting the old threaded mount off the circuit board was no fun at all. There was very high risk of damaging the printed circuit traces very close to the surface.

The focus process involved using the ST16 screen to get close. Then I made a few radial marks on the mount and one on the lens barrel. I took several 12 Mp photos with with the lens in each of the marked positions (making notes). The difference was obvious on a 4k monitor. The very slightest rotation of the lens made a noticeable difference. You may have to compromise between center focus and edges in focus.

Best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz