Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Well, It Finally Happened

I guess it was just a matter of time.

But then I looked at the ST16 in my hands and saw the Flight Mode toggle switch......stuck in the dreaded Smart Mode position! I obviously had somehow flipped it to Smart Mode by accident while talking to the tenant and had not double-checked the switch was correctly thrown before powering up my H.

Before you beat yourself up any more make sure that you didn't throw the switch into smart mode AFTER the crash. Those switches stand out pretty far and can be moved while you are in a panic watching your H go out of control. I am not saying that you didn't have your H in smart mode at some point before the crash but check it out. It's not hard to do.

As I noted on a related thread 'You can use the FlightLog Parser in the ST16 to review your flight data and it will show what mode (angle, smart, EMERGENCY, etc) you are in at any time, the position of the H (3 views), and both of the stick movements.' You will then see what mode you were in at time of crash.

see: new firmware 2017 ?

There very well may be a firmware issue causing erratic behavior when landing. I have had a similar experience with both my drones (as others have also) and the telemetry logs show that there was no pilot error in either case. The Pro is currently at Yuneec being repaired under warranty because the telemetry data showed it was not pilot error but a malfunction with the H. My basic H had no damage other than 2 grass stained props.

I also agree with Jussaguy that automatic protections and warnings at least should be a basic features. I feel there should at least be a vibration warning alerting you to the fact that you are in smart mode when the drone gets close to the ground.

It would be very wise for the manufacturers to incorporate these functions for they share liability if lack of an easily incorporated safety feature is not implemented and someone gets hurt because of it. Being that manufacturers have 'deeper pockets' than most drone pilots I would expect them to be the first target of a lawsuit.

There is always liability insurance for pilots but I am sure if you read the fine print such insurance wouldn't cover pilots purposefully violating the new FAA drone laws such as flying over people which is hard to avoid unless you live on a farm or have acreage near you etc.. Violating the new rules is easy to do being they are pretty restrictive and vague on many points. Other than to mention it as a side note I won't even go into the fact that a 2012 law specifically states that the FAA has no jurisdiction over drones less than 55 pounds. But I wouldn't want to hire a lawyer to be the first test case to claim the FAA rules are void.

There should also be a warning if the landing gear is not down. I have both a H Pro with RealSence and a standard Typhoon H. The RealSence won't let you get too close to the ground if landing gear is up. Realsence uses sensors on the bottom of the H incorporated in the Realsence module but the ST16 has the Altitude (via GPS probably) so that could also trigger (less precise) warnings.

So I repeat - don't beat yourself up until you check the logs. If they indicate it was not pilot error be aware that it can happen again. I bought some prop guards (training wheels LOL) to offer some protection until this issue is addressed and fixed.

I would appreciate if you could update us after(if) you check out the telemetry data with the Flight Log Parser.

That's my $.02 . . .

Last edited:
I tested it today and can confirm it will not zoom off to get to the minimum distance, it will simply not engage smart mode until you fly out to the minimum distance. I tested this by standing within 5 feet or so of the Typhoon H, mode set to smart mode, engaged motors and took off, hovered fine, slowly moved the Typhoon H out and when it hit the minimum distance the smart mode indicator on the right hand side of the screen lit up green and from that point onwards smart mode worked in its normal way.

Reactions: CC Rider
My H Crash in Smart Mode and lessons.

Condition: before Nov firmware update; close to a wood fence (15' from H); I was 15' from the H; and lots of distractions. I was on one side of the H and a wood horse fence was on the exact opposite side.

Got distracted, took off in Smart Mode. H immediately flew into the fence breaking all the propellers and one arm. Used U-Tube to guide me in the repair. Back Up!

Lesson: distractions cause inattention and can be destructive (and dangerous).

H should have a switch that requires you to lift up and over to go into Smart Mode. Similar to the UH-1 Fuel shut off switch (installed because pilots were turning off the fuel in flight). Makes it a conscious and deliberate decision.

The Nov firmware may have solved this problem. I'm not willing to find out. U-tube is full of crashes showing the H immediately going away from the pilot and crashing.

Safety Mode protects the pilot on take off by immediately flying away. However, if people are opposite the pilot another unsafe conditions is created. I know people should not be that close, but it happens.

Private Pilots have a short acronym after lining up for take off (final check) called CIGAR. Today, I have three white label maker numbers on my ST-16: 1 by the gear switch; 2 by the Mode Switch; and 3 by the video switch. It constantly reminds me to check these items before every take off and before every landing.

I have a red cover on my engine start stop switch of the ST-16 because I have found myself pushing the switch when I have mentally engaged in flight and picture taking. Thank God you have to push the button for 3 seconds to shut off the engine! I also have a Q500 and this is where the camera button is! Negative habit transfer.

I constantly find the landing and mode switches moved inadvertently when handling the ST-16 in a non-flight mode. In addition you can loose video/pictures if your camera is still on when you shut down (although there is an recovery procedure - if used immediately).

Hope this contributed. I've learned allot from this blog and my fellow drone pilots.

This forum is really great. I am a Golf Course Superintendent located a little west of New Orleans, Louisiana. I had been wanting to get into the drone scene for a few years but really did not want to use toys. I really wanted to take aerial photo's of our course and decided this last year to go that route. I purchased my first drone right before Christmas as my Christmas present from my wife. Got the Typhoon H and could not wait to try it out, however, before I made that mistake I came across this forum site. It opened my eyes up to how complicated a professional drone can be. I took advice that I had read on one of the post, to get a cheaper drone to learn on. So I bought a $200 drone with a camera and a hard case. The day after Christmas I was going to fly it on my course (the course was closed for the day) but had a text from a member telling me to look around our 17th hole for a drone that may be in the trees. A homeowner was trying to fly a Christmas drone for his kid in his front yard. Well it got up in the air and took off. They knew the direction it went in but never saw it again. So I put flying on hold until I read more about doing it and what to watch for. I have now flown it about a dozen times (the weather has been really bad this year). I am trying to teach myself the needed habits to ensure a safe flight. I have been flying mine low but using our tree groves to weave in and out of in order to get comfortable with actually flying it. I hope to take out my Typhoon H sometime in February. This site has taught me a lot and the most important thing which is patience.

My H Crash in Smart Mode and lessons.

Condition: before Nov firmware update; close to a wood fence (15' from H); I was 15' from the H; and lots of distractions. I was on one side of the H and a wood horse fence was on the exact opposite side.

Got distracted, took off in Smart Mode. H immediately flew into the fence breaking all the propellers and one arm. Used U-Tube to guide me in the repair. Back Up!

Lesson: distractions cause inattention and can be destructive (and dangerous).

H should have a switch that requires you to lift up and over to go into Smart Mode. Similar to the UH-1 Fuel shut off switch (installed because pilots were turning off the fuel in flight). Makes it a conscious and deliberate decision.

The Nov firmware may have solved this problem. I'm not willing to find out. U-tube is full of crashes showing the H immediately going away from the pilot and crashing.

Safety Mode protects the pilot on take off by immediately flying away. However, if people are opposite the pilot another unsafe conditions is created. I know people should not be that close, but it happens.

Private Pilots have a short acronym after lining up for take off (final check) called CIGAR. Today, I have three white label maker numbers on my ST-16: 1 by the gear switch; 2 by the Mode Switch; and 3 by the video switch. It constantly reminds me to check these items before every take off and before every landing.

I have a red cover on my engine start stop switch of the ST-16 because I have found myself pushing the switch when I have mentally engaged in flight and picture taking. Thank God you have to push the button for 3 seconds to shut off the engine! I also have a Q500 and this is where the camera button is! Negative habit transfer.

I constantly find the landing and mode switches moved inadvertently when handling the ST-16 in a non-flight mode. In addition you can loose video/pictures if your camera is still on when you shut down (although there is an recovery procedure - if used immediately).

Hope this contributed. I've learned allot from this blog and my fellow drone pilots.

Thanks a lot for your input and for extending me a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card for the role I may have played in my H crash. I do believe all of my trouble did begin simply by being distracted during my pre-flight time and things snowballed from there.

It totally escaped me to check out the logs to narrow down on the exact cause of my mishap, but I will do that and post what I find. You raised some good points, as have others who have posted in this thread. Knowing exactly what happened would be good info to have.

With regards to some of the other topics you raised in your post, I also purchased easy to snap on, third party prop guards for my H (not the Yuneec type) but have yet to install them and try them out. If I had them installed I probably wouldn't have lost a prop when my Typhoon tipped and crashed. And I like your idea of placing numbered labels on the ST16 to avoid making any mistakes during takeoff and landings: doing whatever it takes and whatever works to keep the aircraft safe, stable, and under control at all times makes good sense to me.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and tips, Majic6, and thanks, too, for the input from all of the other posters who have also responded to this thread. Safe flying and good times to one and all.

Reactions: Rayray
I haven't noticed any great decrease in my battery life related to windspeed, although common sense tells me there must be some effect given that everything in the Typhoon is working harder - from electronics to props - to maintain its course, direction and GPS coordinates in high winds, and therefore must place a higher demand on its power source.

Living on the Atlantic Coast, I do fly in high wind conditions often, and believe me the H can take twice the 12 mph wind limit you spoke of. In windy conditions I'm not so worried about my battery life as I am about how the wind may be 100-200 feet above me. When the air is that unstable and active on the ground it could be doing a whole lot of different things even just a relatively short distance up, from being much higher wind speeds to winds coming from a different direction even. So on days like that I tend not to go for great altitudes and I keep the craft closer, too, with a watchful eye on it.

In sum, to me part of owning a Typhoon H is taking advantage of ALL of its attributes. As many others in this forum can attest to, the H performs quite well in windy conditions, so why not consider that design trait in your flight plans? This is a smart, responsive, very aerodynamic aircraft, so I say go for it - as long as some common sense is thrown in the mix

I mean, if you see Dorothy riding by on a bicycle with a doggie in a basket, GROUND your H!!

Thanks CC rider that gives me alot more confidence when operating at or beyond published limits, I will be watching out for Dorothy though!;)

Good! Go for it while keeping good ol' common sense by your side as your guide. I hope you have great weekend conditions where you are located and time to get some flying in. Be safe and most of all ENJOY!

Reactions: kayakmtb
I will never take off in smart mode, so I can't tell you that for sure but that's what the manual says. It says in Smart Mode you should be 30 feet from the bird at all times (especially when taking off) and since that is for people that aren't supposed to be good at flying, that MAKES ZERO SENSE to me. I would play it safe and take off in angle mode and switch to smart mode (if you want to be in that mode) once you have taken off and got the bird 30 feet away from you. The reason it needs to be a little distance away from you is because it is using you as orientation on what to do when you throttle or reverse and if you're right on it, it's confusing. It's highly unintelligent for it not to know it's in smart mode and to take off properly making the "Smart mode" title a little ironic to me.

Smart mode is good for one reason, if you lose your orientation and aren't skilled enough to figure out how to get the bird back to you which seems crazy considering there is a green arrow telling you exactly the orientation of the bird as it pertains to you on it.
A lot of people dont understand the green arrow. The manual doesn't address it at all???

Very informative post and kudos to you for your honesty.

I'm a "pilot" in the operating room on a daily basis at the hospital I work at. We were trained in Medical School and Residency to think as pilots and generate a "checklist". Never to start a case on a patient without going through your checklist. This theory was derived from the piloting industry and in my opinion spans over to piloting unmanned aircraft and everyday life in general.

If you ever have some downtime, read a great book entitled "The Checklist Manifesto", by Dr. Atul Gawande.

the checklist manifesto | Barnes & Noble

It's an amazing short read that applies to everyday life and work. It's a mandatory reading for any medical student or resident that rotates with me.

Great post and very descriptive, thanks for sharing.

Green Arrow Explained

one of the most valuable threads on this board...
Fair enough. The green arrow on the HUD makes perfect sense to me became I have been playing video games all my life, including my adult life which has paid dividends in the world of flying quads, be it, large and small aerials, and 250, 180 and micro racer and mini drones.

The green arrow is one of the smarter things on the H which as a whole, I have not fell in love with the software, even still.

That said, it is becoming more second nature and I do love the characteristics of the fly on this bird over any other but I still love the GoApp over whatever the ST-16 app is called. I am also not in love with the fixed tab. I WOULD BE, if it was like the P4P and ultra bright so you can see it in super ultra sunny SoCal sunlight without any shades or glasses.

Every unit has it's drawbacks. The closest thing to a perfect aerial drone so far in my opinion is the Mavic. If they can fit a CGO+ or X3 or X5 style camera with a 1 inch sensor on anything like the Mavic, whatever company does that will take the marketshare of the UAS industry because enthusiasts and professionals will buy it.

The form factor is amazing but the picture is frankly about as good as the Typhoon (un modded). Putting a new lens on the CGO and focusing it, makes it as good or better than the Phantoms and I like the way the H flies better than the Phantoms but Yuneec also needs to develop a downlink that is equal to the Occusync. They needed to develop one as good as the LightBridge 2 or even the original LightBridge originally but while Yuneec is catching up, DJI is pulling away in the RTF market. I want competition and personally I wish GoPro would come in with a winner because I would, as an American, rather add to the American GDP, but lets go! Someone make the perfect drone.

Speaking of perfect, and off topic, I just got the Yuneec EGO-2 electric long board and its the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom! If you are under 40 or have great bones, GET IT! Even if you have never boarded before, it is PURE FUN!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech