Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

well the esc for motor 2 failed

Reaction score
well things were looking good real good. I was using 4hawks sr antenna with yuneec antennas on the st16s. gained solid range from 3500 ft before rtl kicked in to over. and yes this was almost beyond line of sight at 390 agl. distance went to 5500ft and could of possibly go further but retreated back to launch point with no rtl and smooth video though out that flight. 6th out of 8 planned flights is where the mainboard craped out on esc2 red wire. I say red wire when I opened up the drone to replace the arm motor with a spare think it was just the motor gave out. After opening the drone and replaced the arm with a spare discovered the red line wire had separated from the copper pad. and the copper pad had a burn mark. all other pads were clear no marks. when landed after it went five motor mode. the motor that stalled was able to idle spin with no noticeable sound such as bearing going out and not hesitating at idle. go to throttle up and the motor shut down completely. Now to hunt down a new main board. Other than one motor failed and then few months later main board it been one real solid bird. the frame and other parts are great shape and ready for duty when the main board replaced.

And this is where we realize that a board with everything integrated (or almost everything) is usually not a good idea. It forces you to change everything instead of just the component that fails. It's true that it's not normal or usually happens, but when it happens.......... ?

Cheer up Terrence, at least you already know the bird inside from top to bottom :)

I say red wire when I opened up the drone to replace the arm motor with a spare think it was just the motor gave out. After opening the drone and replaced the arm with a spare discovered the red line wire had separated from the copper pad. and the copper pad had a burn mark.

Maybe just some editing confusion, but the wording sequence leaves a possible question.
Taken in context, I think your words mean you found the burnt wire/contact as soon as you opened the drone.
However, the actual words say you discovered the burnt wire AFTER you replaced the motor. That could make a difference in some possibilities.
You mentioned the motor stalling, failing to spin up. Was that the original motor, or the new one?
The reason I'm asking is because you did not mention trying to clean up and re-solder the burnt connection, but you also didn't say the connection was beyond repair.
And yes, I like playing with puzzles. Sorry to be a nuisance. But I also see a slim hope of an easy, inexpensive success here, and don't want it to escape.

Last edited:
to see the context error to clear it up. I open the h520 up to replace motor 2 arm. It's only after I took the bad motor arm off the h520 and replaced it with a good spare arm I discovered that the red wire was missing from the mainboard and that copper pad to it had a burn mark. due to the small burn mark on the copper pad I must replace the mainboard. Reason to replace board is unseen possible damage to the circuit chips that have circuit traces to the burnt copper pad. I will not re-solder the wire back on. before opening up the h520 to replace the arm, the bad motor was able to spin up and run when the launch button was activated but when throttle up to launch from ground it stalled out and stop spinning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49