Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Welp, fell out of the sky this morning.

I always powercycle my st16s when i replace the battery of the TPH+
Never had any problem ...
Marnix

I am also restarting the controller when swapping batteries. It does seem to eliminate the strange behavior I’ve been seeing. However, if this were the H520 and I were mapping using waypoints, this would not be an acceptable option, as I believe from what I’ve read, that one would need to reenter these points each time the controller was restarted.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Flying at my usual stomping grounds and on my way back to finish for the morning. It was about 300 up and 300 away it just dropped like it was fully powered off. View attachment 10997View attachment 10998View attachment 10999View attachment 11000View attachment 11001

Not sure what to do at this point. Is there anything you guys want to see? Logs?
Hi. Sorry for your loss. Where did you get that history info? I also have a Typhoon H and I’m very worry this can happen to me. Thanks,
Rafy

To accept having to power cycle the controller to swap batteries in the AC is lunacy. That should be near the top of the list for a firmware update.

Reactions: JackMTaco
I am also restarting the controller when swapping batteries. It does seem to eliminate the strange behavior I’ve been seeing. However, if this were the H520 and I were mapping using waypoints, this would not be an acceptable option, as I believe from what I’ve read, that one would need to reenter these points each time the controller was restarted.

Good then that it is the TPH+

Is it possible the solution is that simple?

Instead of:

Land AC → Power down H+ → Leave ST-16S powered up → Swap out battery → Power up H+ → Launch

to Best Practice:

Land AC → Power down H+ → Power Down ST-16S → Swap out battery → Power up ST-16S → Power up H+ → Launch

Hypothisysing anternate to power cycling ST-16S... maybe just exiting into pad mode, and then backing into the FC when H+ is powered back up... yes/no/maybe?

Never tried it to go out off the app to tablet mode and restart the app again, will need to try

I always powercycle my st16s when i replace the battery of the TPH+
Never had any problem ...
Marnix
Same here but it all depends in your needs. I mainly photograph and usually fly a battery on one location and then go somewhere else.

Hi. Sorry for your loss. Where did you get that history info? I also have a Typhoon H and I’m very worry this can happen to me. Thanks,
Rafy
Are you concerned about flying a Typhoon H or Typhoon H Plus? The TH does not allow hot-swap of batteries and, therefore, does not suffer from the problems discussed in this thread. My TH has never let me down in 2-1/2 years of flying.

Reactions: Rafy Rodriguez
What is “hot swap”?

Perhaps a definition or clarification of differences in the use of the term might be helpful. Feel free to correct my interpretations!

Hot swap - most precise definition: replacement of components(s) without powering down the device of which component(s) are being swapped.

Example: removing an E90 camera from H520 and installing an E50, without first turning off the H520.

Unless a UAS has two or more flight batteries, it is impossible to hot swap a battery. Removing the battery before turning off the craft is not “hot swapping”.

What some may be incorrectly interpreting hot swap to mean is: “replacing battery in UAS without powering off its remote controller”. Again, this is NOT “hot swapping”. Rather, it is simply a time saving technique to get back in the air.

In the gray area is a system such as the H520 that allows a mission to be programmed requiring more than one battery to complete. The aircraft returns to launch point when in need of battery swap and resumes it’s mission after receiving a charged pack. Technically this is not a “hot swap” but can be stretched to imply “the mission continues where it left off” rather than having to plot several individual missions to accomplish a multi-battery assignment.

Hope this helps clarify for anyone wondering or confused.

Jeff

DJI may have lots of fanboys but their list of drone woes is just as long or longer than Yuneec.

This is true. What I'm seeing at RCG is, but not limited to:
1) cables failing
2) RTL landing 20+ feet from target
3) not compatible with Androids, yet DJI advertises they are (I had that problem with P4, refused to buy iPad)
4) owners will in the near future be subject to their MP2 being detuned as they will fail EU drone standards. This includes prop blades
5) FW updating
6) Others I'm not aware of as I decided against purchasing one so don't track as closely

For PatR: It's payback time for the DJI cronies that tried to wreck the H thread at RCG. MA1 called me a troll. That was a big mistake on his part. :)

What is “hot swap”?

Perhaps a definition or clarification of differences in the use of the term might be helpful. Feel free to correct my interpretations!

Hot swap - most precise definition: replacement of components(s) without powering down the device of which component(s) are being swapped.

Example: removing an E90 camera from H520 and installing an E50, without first turning off the H520.

Unless a UAS has two or more flight batteries, it is impossible to hot swap a battery. Removing the battery before turning off the craft is not “hot swapping”.

What some may be incorrectly interpreting hot swap to mean is: “replacing battery in UAS without powering off its remote controller”. Again, this is NOT “hot swapping”. Rather, it is simply a time saving technique to get back in the air.

In the gray area is a system such as the H520 that allows a mission to be programmed requiring more than one battery to complete. The aircraft returns to launch point when in need of battery swap and resumes it’s mission after receiving a charged pack. Technically this is not a “hot swap” but can be stretched to imply “the mission continues where it left off” rather than having to plot several individual missions to accomplish a multi-battery assignment.

Hope this helps clarify for anyone wondering or confused.

Jeff
Thanks for clarifying "hot swap". I was one of those "confused".

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
When in this forum and using the term 'hot swapping' I am referring to the definition as used by Yuneec - which; as @NorWiscPilot points out, is not really a hot swap.

The reason I leave the controller on while replacing the flight battery is that the ST-16s will typically acquire satellites throughout the first flight and (sometimes) into the second reaching its maximum

We most certainly can swap out H-480 batteries without cycling the ST-16 but as your settings were stored in the FC and camera they get reset with the battery change, and the system has to link up again after the battery change. The only positive with leaving the ST-16 turned on is eliminating boot up time with the controller. That minute can be a nuisance but how often do we need to save that minute?

For PatR: It's payback time for the DJI cronies that tried to wreck the H thread at RCG. MA1 called me a troll. That was a big mistake on his part. :)

The Anafi has them worried. Note how they are keeping a bunch of “Official” DJI product threads at the top of the general multirotor forum page, cycling Anafi threads/posts further down and harder to find. Not to mention all those “Official” DJI threads started by DJI employees should not even be in the general forum, but in the manufacturer forum. FYI, I got tagged 5 points in two days by DJI zealots last week. MA1 was the root of it.

Reactions: Frontier
The Anafi has them worried. Note how they are keeping a bunch of “Official” DJI product threads at the top of the general multirotor forum page, cycling Anafi threads/posts further down and harder to find. Not to mention all those “Official” DJI threads started by DJI employees should not even be in the general forum, but in the manufacturer forum. FYI, I got tagged 5 points in two days by DJI zealots last week. MA1 was the root of it.
Pardon my ignorance, Pat, but what "general multirotor forum" are you referring to? There are several out there.

Are you concerned about flying a Typhoon H or Typhoon H Plus? The TH does not allow hot-swap of batteries and, therefore, does not suffer from the problems discussed in this thread. My TH has never let me down in 2-1/2 years of flying.
I have a TH plus and so far I can swap batteries without any problems.

Same thing happened to me... I just bought it yesterday and now it's a pile of rubble... Even if they do send me a new one I would rather get the Inspire 2... I had been researching for a few months and it came down to these 2 drone to use for real estate arial photography... I went the cheap route should have bought the Inspire... Even if they do give me a fresh one,I would rather have one that is more together... I cannot be flying over someone roof and have the thing crash through someones window... That would not be good for business... Here is my letter to Yuneec...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 10.45.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 10.45.54 AM.png
    425 KB · Views: 21
@The Cookie Monster First; sorry for your loss, many of us here know what it is like to have a complete loss and can empathize with how that feels. I myself am also a Real Estate Photographer and have been using my Plus since July and for a year and a half before that; the standard Typhoon H with a combined 450 flights and zero issues.

Also you should know that this forum has no affiliation with the company that makes these products but is a great place to get help from like minded hobbyists and professionals. In fact you will likely get more help from this forum in regards to Yuneec's products than just about anywhere else.

So to begin, Yuneec will (most likely) not respond in the manner you have asked them to - giving you a call, and I am pretty sure none of the other manufacturers would either. The best way is to contact Yuneec CS as soon as they open Monday thru Friday at 8 AM, Pacific Time. Yuneec has, in the past owned up to their mistakes or defects that cause a lose. There are many pilots here that have had a full replacement when the loss was through no fault of their own. But to be sure, a phone call is almost always the best way to get the ball rolling and an email almost never works with Yuneec CS.

If you would like any help from this forum it would help to give a more detailed description of the events leading up to the crash and perhaps a bit about your time with the H Plus before the crash. How many flights before the crash, battery conditions, and anything else you can tell us.

Also if you will need to access your telemetry files; this will be the first thing Yuneec asks for and if you like you can post the files from your last flight here and someone from this forum can look into them and perhaps gain some insight as to what happened.

Here is a link to show you how to get the telemetry files. Telemetry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Li