Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What aided your decision into purchasing the H over the rest?

Interest/curiosity fueled by being a fan of YouTuber Casey Niestat. Was just randomly browsing just before my birthday and and saw video and reviews of the H, a few days later saw an add on Facebook Marketplace for for what seemed like a good price and near where I lived. I tend to be drawn to things that are a little different, so the 6 rotor was appealing. Decided to buy as a birthday present to myself, despite having zero experience. Had it for several weeks before trying to fly, watching every video I could find, and discovering this forum which has been so helpful. That was 5 months ago. Still learning, but loving it! Of course I didn't really research, so didn't know it was not supported and parts are somewhat hard to get, nor had any idea of the FAA restrictions on drones. Impulse buy, but no regrets.
Remember,your main goal was to have fun. Enjoy it while you have it.The h is so much fun. I am not worried about the faa that is 3 some years away and we willwork it out or do the "fly&hide". Hope you downloaded the extended manual found on this sight.Tons of valuable facts that will help you stay in the air.Lots of advice on this forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Keith C.

In late 2016 and early 2017, my wife was getting requests to add aerial shots to her real estate photography clients and at that time, I was still flying a Phantom. :rolleyes:I knew I wanted something newer and at that time, the only systems that had a next level camera was the 920 and Inspire - both of which I did not think were warranted for my work due to initial cost and the amount of work we were doing. I was very fond of the Inspire but the 920 just looked the part - and then I found out it had a little brother.:cool:

When looking deeper into the specs of the Typhoon H they were good and while the cost was somewhat high (same cost as a Plus today), I reasoned the value of the Remote with built in screen coupled with what the drone could do from a camera perspective sealed the deal. To this day I believe that was the right decision and I'm glad I got it. I will add that I found this forum early in the decision making process and that was the cherry on top.

My feelings for the Typhoon Platform was carried fourth when I got my Plus and again; I have never looked back. With the recent events over the past few years with the state of Yuneec, I am saddened that we did not get to see further progression of the line but I am glad as **** that I got the Typhoon when I did. I am still flying my Plus and will continue to do so for as long as I can find batteries and spares should I need them but so far . . . . knock on wood.

In the mean time I can tell you that I had a need for a small compact drone to compliment my Typhoon and so I picked up one of, . . er well, lets just say it is (what I believe), the only competition to the Plus in it's price range. I have had it for a while now and while it does have some good points and a pretty good camera - its also got some bad points, or is missing something that a drone like the Typhoon has. If I absolutely had to get rid on one of them today, the Typhoon H Plus would still be with me tomorrow. ;)

In January 2017 I was surprised by my wife's parents who gifted me with a TH 480. I read the Yuneec manual but it had so many holes in information that I was very worried to give it flight. So... I went to YouTube and found Jeff Sibelius. His videos were what I needed. In depth, no nonsense information and advice. After a few flights without crashing I had a week in the Blue Ridge of VA and flew there. When I got back home I started flying more to hone my skills with the TH 480 and learning how to take video that wouldn't wretch my gut watching.

Eventually I found this forum and it had a great group of people willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I also found others on YouTube who had provided tips and information.

I did experience two flyaways. Both saw the TH 480 attempting to eat a tree. One required a camera repair at Carolina Dronz and the other one just a new prop after resting 50 feet up a tree. As a result I bought another TH 480. It's my backup. I did replace the GPS/Compass module on the TH 480 that crashed. I got the recommendation from Steve Carr after he analyzed the data from the flight. No issues after that.

I continued to learn more and more about flying the TH 480 and was getting better at 4K video. The only downside for me was the camera just wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. I flew it on the NC coast without any issues and was surprised by how it handled the wind in the mountains and at the cost.

My only real concern was that I like to go into the Blue Ridge of SC, NC and VA for a week at a time and hauling the TH 480 around with luggage, my still cameras, tripods, lenses, etc. was a pain. These days I'm holding on until I find a more portable drone with a 1" sensor that is good to fly and produces good 4K video. Perhaps I'll get the Autel EVO 2 Pro whenever its released and has been thoroughly reviewed by pilots I trust.

Currently NC state is on lock down and we practice physical distancing at the grocery stores and pharmacies. "Social Distancing" just didn't make as much sense to me as "physical distancing".

P.S. I flew RC sailplanes in the 70s so I guess I wasn't a complete noob

Last edited:
I had previously flown two toy drones that my son gave to me as presents to get me into flying. The first was a 50mm micro drone that was ok in the house, but couldn’t handle even a gentle wind outside. The next was a small Hubsan quad with a fixed 1080p camera. It was not bad and had a barometer for some altitude stabilization. It could handle a gentle wind but not much more than that.

I started my Yuneec adventure with the Breeze 4K. It was a decent machine for the price once it was reduced to $200 or less. The 12MP photos were good and the 1080p EIS video was okay. There was no stabilizing gimbal, but the camera could be tilted from horizontal to 90 degrees down. The GPS stabilization was good and it could handle a pretty good wind although the horizon angles were pretty bad then.

Less than a month after purchasing the Breeze I found this forum and got heavily involved in helping other Breeze owners figure out troubles they were having and also learning how to read the telemetry from the Breeze. In the early weeks, I had a lot of help in my learning curve from a few other Breeze owners especially @airborne @Scott_in_Colorado @h-elsner and @TStover.

I then became a moderator on YuneecPilots and my education expanded to other Yuneec models. I really liked the capabilities of the Typhoon H and when I caught a great deal on a refurbished unit on Woot, I pulled the trigger and bought one. I have not been disappointed in my choice. The Typhoon H is a very capable system and is quite repairable when you can get spare parts should the unforeseen happen. In the near future I will probably do a DIY mod to use generic batteries with my H480. The choices are a lot broader once you give up the OEM style batteries.

I am proud to be part of YuneecPilots and hope things will turn around with Yuneec’s business model and they return to a company much like they were 4 years ago when they were much more innovative and customer oriented.

Wadda great question!

So let's see here, I 1st got introduced to drones in January of this year, never was an R/C guy so this was a whole new can of whoopass for yours truly.. the thought and idea of flying a drone seemed absolutely incredible, especially when linking a phone/controller/drone together.. incredible tech IMO..

So my 1st drone was the Holy Stone HS120-D, a GREAT beginers drone, taught me the ups and downs, the lefts and rights, pitch and yaw, swoop in, hold steady (hover), how to use a phone as the monitor hooked up to the controller, battery life, LOS, etc.. couldn't have asked for a better drone to learn on..

but I knew there was more & better, so my search began.. & the 1st drone I seen after doing much research into DJI, was this one.. just happened to be a sidebar preview vid on U-tube, and from there I was blown!

.. THAT killed it!.. after finding out the drone was made by a company called Yuneec, I was hooked, I had to find out who these guys were/are.. hence taking me to their website, from there I seen all them birds, but after seeing the T-H, back to U-tube where I saw this..

.. that was enough for me... the most BADASS drone i've ever seen!.. straight Skynet style, something my neighbors would never understand, sooooooo menancing, but so complete.. bought a refurb'd one the next day off of E-Bay from a great company for 750 complete with the ST-16 & all the goodies.. (deal with Mel, he'll take care of you, best customer service period!)

..then turned around, bought a backup battery, a dual charger via EvPeak, the 70Wx2 6A/CH Intelligent Battery Charger, & a backup set of props.. let's just say I had a feeling I was going to need them (and with no details for now, I was right)

LOVE this bird!.. the look (not like any other drone, just totally viscious!), the 6 props, the ability to turn off the LED's at night and fly stealth style.. yeah, DJI & anyone else can take the middle finger as far as i'm concerned, this black-hawk is NASTY!

NW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mechanic
Wadda great question!

So let's see here, I 1st got introduced to drones in January of this year, never was an R/C guy so this was a whole new can of whoopass for yours truly.. the thought and idea of flying a drone seemed absolutely incredible, especially when linking a phone/controller/drone together.. incredible tech IMO..

So my 1st drone was the Holy Stone HS120-D, a GREAT beginers drone, taught me the ups and downs, the lefts and rights, pitch and yaw, swoop in, hold steady (hover), how to use a phone as the monitor hooked up to the controller, battery life, LOS, etc.. couldn't have asked for a better drone to learn on..

but I knew there was more & better, so my search began.. & the 1st drone I seen after doing much research into DJI, was this one.. just happened to be a sidebar preview vid on U-tube, and from there I was blown!

.. THAT killed it!.. after finding out the drone was made by a company called Yuneec, I was hooked, I had to find out who these guys were/are.. hence taking me to their website, from there I seen all them birds, but after seeing the T-H, back to U-tube where I saw this..

.. that was enough for me... the most BADASS drone i've ever seen!.. straight Skynet style, something my neighbors would never understand, sooooooo menancing, but so complete.. bought a refurb'd one the next day off of E-Bay from a great company for 750 complete with the ST-16 & all the goodies.. (deal with Mel, he'll take care of you, best customer service period!)

..then turned around, bought a backup battery, a dual charger via EvPeak, the 70Wx2 6A/CH Intelligent Battery Charger, & a backup set of props.. let's just say I had a feeling I was going to need them (and with no details for now, I was right)

LOVE this bird!.. the look (not like any other drone, just totally viscious!), the 6 props, the ability to turn off the LED's at night and fly stealth style.. yeah, DJI & anyone else can take the middle finger as far as i'm concerned, this black-hawk is NASTY!

NW.

Cool Story

LMAO!!... Wow, I absolutely love the name you have given it... Black-Hawk! perfect fit!:)

Reactions: NWSaint
Cool Story

LMAO!!... Wow, I absolutely love the name you have given it... Black-Hawk! perfect fit!:)

Mechanic :

My 2 Holy Stone drones are named Heckle & Jeckle (Heckle is my b4 6pm bird, as in daytime flights, & Jeckle is my after 6pm bird, meaning dusk & beyond, aka night flying, this way both get even flying time without wearing each other out..) , & my T-H is named Hyde!.. so they're Heckle, Jeckle & Hyde.. LoL!..2 from a cartoon & the other from a horror movie.. it's fitting, trust me..

w230a.jpg

My Birds.jpg

.. don't ask about the busted wing on Hyde.. you don't wanna' know.. I might have to do a thread for that story on it's own... we'll see.. i'm still super pissed off.. seriously, fellas, if you only knew..

NW.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mechanic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop