Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What happens when a drone gets ingested by an aircraft engine, FAA ready to conduct live test . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Reactions: Steve Carr
I wonder what the terms of a contract might be, once awarded?

“Contract recipient shall supply and operate the aircraft engine ingesting an Unmanned Aircraft System [UAS] for the purpose of the described test. Contract recipient shall also bear any repair costs incurred for said engine.”

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
Hasn't this been done already, well with a prop plane anyway ? What are they up to a jet engine.

I think they already know the answer, but it would be interesting to know how well lithium and kerosene like each other. Might be a bigger bomb than their expecting!

Cant see how, as it would only take out one turbine ? But then again I'm probably wrong
My middle son was a crew chief on F16s, and he talked about one of the guys misplacing his small mag-lite. They shut the whole flight line down until they found it. It was laying in air intake on one of the aircraft. If a little mag-lite could destroy an engine, I can't imagine a small drone wouldn't.

My middle son was a crew chief on F16s, and he talked about one of the guys misplacing his small mag-lite. They shut the whole flight line down until they found it. It was laying in air intake on one of the aircraft. If a little mag-lite could destroy an engine, I can't imagine a small drone wouldn't.
Had a friend in the AF, as a mechanic, somehow left a wrench inside a turbine, and the preflight didn't go so well. They leveed espionage charges against him, he finally got off, and got out after 12yrs. in, I was already out, he didn't return to our hometown as I did til this day I dont know what his discharge was, is ? Why he never returned is beyond me..

Had a friend in the AF, as a mechanic, somehow left a wrench inside a turbine, and the preflight didn't go so well. They leveed espionage charges against him, he finally got off, and got out after 12yrs. in, I was already out, he didn't return to our hometown as I did til this day I dont know what his discharge was, is ? Why he never returned is beyond me..
It probably wasn't good. My son never said what happened to the guy with the Mag-lite, but I don't imagine it went very well. They get pretty touchy about that kind of stuff.

They no longer let anyone carry tools onto the flight line that weren’t first checked out from a tool cage. Leaving the flight line each tool has to be checked back in again. Far too many Leatherman type tools kept being found inside aircraft and on the flight line.

Tool contamination is a major issue with new aircraft assembly as well.

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
They no longer let anyone carry tools onto the flight line that weren’t first checked out from a tool cage. Leaving the flight line each tool has to be checked back in again. Far too many Leatherman type tools kept being found inside aircraft and on the flight line.

I can understand that. The aircraft are very expensive, and so are commerial airliners.

He was an aircraft mechanic, not sure if it was on, or off the plane. All I remember is he beat himself up over it, he was a smart kid growin up we use to tear apart motorcycles, and put "em back together again that wasn't like him. He came back to vist a coulpe of times, but decided texas was his new home ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements