Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Whats The Difference Between The Two?

Am I understanding correctly, utilizing Team Mode in 920, Gremsy T3 gimble, and DJI Controller for Camera operator additional cameras can be used? Does this require an additional receiver module for the T3 to connect to DJI or is that within the T3? Does the camera operator have full control of the camera operation? Breizhdrone above indicates a full body 5D could be mounted. What lense limitations for the full body DSLR’s... most of mine lenses are hefty in both weight & size? Can the 920 carry such a large payload and function adequatly with enough flight time? Seems like a lot of payload & bulk, but interesting.

There is also the option of using a CGO-3 camera with the 920+ which will then permit the use of Team mode.
So what logic is on the cgo3+ that allows team mode? Or is it that the st16 has the board that works with the cgo3+?

Pardon my lack of comprehension but I don't get why team mode worked on the 920 non + with the cgo4 unless it was because of the st24. If this is the case then would the st24 work for team mode on the cgo4 and the 920+?

Probably asking to many simple ?'s but I don't think I grasp the relationship between the controllers, models and the cameras.

Oneter,
I don’t have all the answers but others have related the Plus version is not backwards compatible with the previously used cameras and gimbals. The entire flight control stack was changed out during conversion from 920 to 920 Plus.

Doug,

I was researching a number of 380kV motor stats where larger props were listed. Yuneec does not publish any statistics for theirs. KDE and T-Motor were all I found that listed prop sizes larger than 15.5”. What Info was available suggested the motors used on the 920 could be good for a little over 30lbs of lift, IF the ESC’s are >30A. General design parameters for a custom rig suggest only half of max lift capacity, or a little less, end up the weight with the payload included in that. You can carry more but flight time and flight performance would be degraded. The 920 is already at that halfway point.

If you want to run DSLR’s and heavy lenses, have great performance and good flight times you should call Aerial Alchemy in SoCal. Expensive but well worth it. You’ll never get a forced upgrade or interference from the manufacturer. Extremely reliable and allows payload options.

Thanks for the replies. Since it looks like Yuneec is giving up tech support for the 920, I wonder if there would be a way to get the proprietary programs for the 920 so that we have access to the firmware?

That would be a great question for Mr. Greyeagle, who now runs the commercial UAS division. Unfortunately there’s word the 920 is not part of his responsibilities. A request had been made for another look at the 920 but politely deflected. Seems China is making the calls.

Reactions: thoneter
That $60mil is a good point. Personally, I don’t believe the introduction of RealSense consumed even 1/5 of that as Intel had already done all the concept and prototype work. All that was left would have been basic integration. Bear in mind Intel owns the Falcon8+ multirotor system, a highly capable commercial platform that uses Pixhawk/PX4 flight systems. My guess is Intel bought an offshore manufacturing facility.

Like everything else in my life, I hate the politics in gov't, big business, hospitals and nursing homes. You are correct in that China is the only one with clout. The Yuneec company only cares about its bottom line and board members. Yuneec had such potential to listen to to its fans and make great products.

Reactions: PatR
They still have that potential. All they need to do to expand their customer base and recover all the people they have pi$$ed off is make announcements at CES of upcoming firmware releases for the Breeze and Typhoon H. If they wanted to really expand their commercial customer base they would make mention of a few simple upgrades coming for the 920. The 520 is not going to be the golden child that takes them deep into the commercial market place. It will allow a few to get into photogrammetry work but it lacks the lift and gimbal flexibility for multiple payload types. The 920 is what could do those, and they need the Breeze and Typhoon H to be the bread and butter of their cash flow.

But based upon what I've observed, they won't.

Reactions: thoneter
I'll give you what I know, but there is probably a lot I don't know.
  • The original 920 used the ST-24 for flight and camera controls. The ST-24 had more camera control features on it than the ST-16 now used with the 920+
  • The original 920 allowed Team Mode when using another ST-24 or ST-12.
  • The original 920 would accept several gimbals and cameras, including the GH4, Sony a7, the CGO-4, and another camera who's name I can't remember right now. Only the CGO-4 had full control of the camera and gimbal.
  • The original 920 uses flight control firm and software different from that used in the 920+.
  • The original 920 was noted by some to be experiencing issues with harmony for camera and gimbal controls.
  • The 920+ does not have Team Mode.
  • The 920+ now uses the ST-16 and the same firmware as the Typhoon H.
  • The ST-16 used with the 920+ is the same as the one used with the Typhoon H Pro, having three antennas. The flat directional antenna is not included with the 920+.
  • The 920+ now, to the best of my knowledge, only accepts the CGO-4 camera and gimbal assembly, however, a CGO3 adapter can be purchased to allow use of a CGO-3 or CGO-ET camera. Where use of the a&, GH-4, and other cameras with the 920+ is concerned I'm a little fuzzy as the 920+ may still accept one or more of the cameras used by the original 920 but I have not found anything to confirm this.
  • The 920+ incorporates many, but not all, of the automated flight features incorporated in the Typhoon H.
  • The 920+ using the CGO-4 does not have a lock feature for white balance.
  • Team Mode is returned to the 920+ when using a CGO-3 camera but the advanced camera controls available for the CGO-4 will not be present. Only the camera controls provided on the Typhoon H are available when using the CGO-3 camera..
  • When using a CGO-3 camera on a 920+ the ST-16 screen reverts to the same screen depicted when flying a Typhoon H.
  • You must select model type and cameras and bind the systems whenever you change between the CGO-4 and CGO-3 cameras. The same applies if you elect to fly without a camera, but about a pound of ballast should be carried when flying without a camera and gimbal to maintain center of gravity and balance with PID's.
Hi Pat, Does the 920 or 920+ use the same rx as in the H?

I don’t know for certain, but the 920+, utilizing the ST-16, uses H firmware, the screen alters to match what is displayed for an H when a CGO-3 camera is used with all the H functionality, and the H can be tricked into being bound as a 920+ to make use of waypoint functions. Based on that I will presume the 920+ uses the same Rx. I would not think the 920 does.

Last edited:
That make sense. But another question. The 920+ comes with the ST16. A friend of mine want to buy another transmitter, not the ST16 but the ST24 for his bird (920+) because the prices of the ST24 are really low by comparison with the ST16. Will this do?

That make sense. But another question. The 920+ comes with the ST16. A friend of mine want to buy another transmitter, not the ST16 but the ST24 for his bird (920+) because the prices of the ST24 are really low by comparison with the ST16. Will this do?
No!

I'll give you what I know, but there is probably a lot I don't know.
  • The original 920 used the ST-24 for flight and camera controls. The ST-24 had more camera control features on it than the ST-16 now used with the 920+
  • The original 920 allowed Team Mode when using another ST-24 or ST-12.
  • The original 920 would accept several gimbals and cameras, including the GH4, Sony a7, the CGO-4, and another camera who's name I can't remember right now. Only the CGO-4 had full control of the camera and gimbal.
  • The original 920 uses flight control firm and software different from that used in the 920+.
  • The original 920 was noted by some to be experiencing issues with harmony for camera and gimbal controls.
  • The 920+ does not have Team Mode.
  • The 920+ now uses the ST-16 and the same firmware as the Typhoon H.
  • The ST-16 used with the 920+ is the same as the one used with the Typhoon H Pro, having three antennas. The flat directional antenna is not included with the 920+.
  • The 920+ now, to the best of my knowledge, only accepts the CGO-4 camera and gimbal assembly, however, a CGO3 adapter can be purchased to allow use of a CGO-3 or CGO-ET camera. Where use of the a&, GH-4, and other cameras with the 920+ is concerned I'm a little fuzzy as the 920+ may still accept one or more of the cameras used by the original 920 but I have not found anything to confirm this.
  • The 920+ incorporates many, but not all, of the automated flight features incorporated in the Typhoon H.
  • The 920+ using the CGO-4 does not have a lock feature for white balance.
  • Team Mode is returned to the 920+ when using a CGO-3 camera but the advanced camera controls available for the CGO-4 will not be present. Only the camera controls provided on the Typhoon H are available when using the CGO-3 camera..
  • When using a CGO-3 camera on a 920+ the ST-16 screen reverts to the same screen depicted when flying a Typhoon H.
  • You must select model type and cameras and bind the systems whenever you change between the CGO-4 and CGO-3 cameras. The same applies if you elect to fly without a camera, but about a pound of ballast should be carried when flying without a camera and gimbal to maintain center of gravity and balance with PID's.
Can I do mapping with ST24 tornado H920 ? Thanx

If the camera captures and records GPS position in EXIF data, yes you can, but unless you can program shutter intervals the process will require some effort on your part to obtain images with accurate overlaps

Since it looks like Yuneec is giving up tech support for the 920, I wonder if there would be a way to get the proprietary programs for the 920 so that we have access to the firmware?

Better approach in my opinion is to replace the whole electronics and radio control with up-to-date standard components as shown here: Retrofit of a H920 / H920+

This gives you the flexibility to adapt the frame, which I still like, to almost any use case. In my case I will equip it with a Rosewhite Dragon II gimbal that is stiff, lightweight, uses encoders and can stabilize cameras up to 1000g.

The other thread demonstrates it with a self developed radio control (LTE + 868 MHz + 2.4 Ghz) but you can use almost any kind of radio control. Herelink may be also an interesting option but I would advise not to combine two radios operating in the 2.4 GHz band in parallel.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval