Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

When and why calibrations ?

Reaction score
I did not understand when and why I have do all the calibrations.

After loading the latest firmware, I have not done any calibration (my philosophy is: "if it works, do not change").

I enclose the link of a test video, with 360° panoramic ; notice, when the shot is lowered, the alignment with the horizon.

test no calib.mp4

The video quality is poor because I have not shot in 4K, but I ask you: What could I get more about stability and alignment, doing all calibrations ?

Thanks in advance for any response.

The issue of compass calibration turned into a philosophical discussion last time.

There are two camps. You are either a person who calibrates often (i.e., after moving to a new take off location or a firmware update) or you are a person who only calibrates when the drones behaviour calls for it.

Both camps, in my opinion, are correct.

Reactions: QuadBart
The issue of compass calibration turned into a philosophical discussion last time.

There are two camps. You are either a person who calibrates often (i.e., after moving to a new take off location or a firmware update) or you are a person who only calibrates when the drones behaviour calls for it.

Both camps, in my opinion, are correct.
I agree.
I'm in the first camp: I calibrate when I move location to another town, say. Did it last week when I was doing some filming in Scotland. My last calibration before that was about 10 miles to the North East of Manchester so I considered that the relocation to Scotland warranted a re calibration. I'm back in the North West of England now so next time I fly any of my aircraft they will be re calibrated again.

Reactions: abinder
I'm in the second camp. Never done one. Been between Vermont and Florida and the H works flawlessly.

During a firmware update all the calibrations are erased. Even the time on the ST16. The most important calibration on Yuneec products is the accelerometer. If it's out of cal you will notice more unstable flight and in particular you may see some drift in hover and yaw.

During a firmware update all the calibrations are erased. Even the time on the ST16. The most important calibration on Yuneec products is the accelerometer. If it's out of cal you will notice more unstable flight and in particular you may see some drift in hover and yaw.
Seems like I saw a video somewhere that stated if it has a 'toiletbowl' effect while hovering, it's probably the accelerometers that need to be recalibrated like you stated.

Allen

Seems like I saw a video somewhere that stated if it has a 'toiletbowl' effect while hovering, it's probably the accelerometers that need to be recalibrated like you stated.

Allen
To test the accelerometer calibration I just to up about 10' with no wind and do a slow 360 degree yaw. It should spin like it is sitting on a post with very little drift. If it does drift then I do the calibration on a very level surface. It is important when you boot up the H to have it level and don't touch it until it's fully booted. Any movement during boot will affect the gyro/accelerometer.
The toilet bowl effect seems to occur in birds that have a defective board. While a calibration might seem to fix it, the problem may reoccur later. Therefor I put the TB effect in the category of a component failure rather than a calibration issue.

Reactions: abinder
Careful with that outlook, some of the best FC's available will toilet bowl and be generally unstable if accel calibrations are not performed and have nothing wrong with the equipment. Holding orientation can be trashed if compass calibration is not performed. Things of course get worse for those that move the H before the system completes the boot.

You are right. Watch you bird. It will let you know if it needs intervention. Then Calibrate it. Drone Clone did his update of the latest FW. I will let him explain it when he gets back in two weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis