Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Who Passed the Part 107 test (that wasn't already a pilot)

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to study for the test that I'm taking on Friday. Can someone that has passed the test (that wasn't previously a pilot that has a chance to take the shortened online version rather than going to a testing center) let me know if this PDF will cover everything I will need to know on the test? http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

If you can remember questions that can't be answered from this study guide, please let me know what types, or where to study that information.

Thanks a bunch!

Hello Ryan,

I sent a response to your IM via my iPhone, but it got kicked back... between the 107 and the study guide, your covered for a good 90% of the test. you will need to be able to easily read a sectional chart as well, and really study weather and effects of weights and loads on aircraft.

watch out for "grey area" questions. if you are asked if something is allowed and it requires a provision, stick to the straight rule unless the provision is listed as part of a possible answer choice....

Good Luck!
Anthony

FYI, I crammed for 2 weeks and the test took me 38 mins and I scored an 88 so it's totally doable, don't stress. You can even test yourself with an affordable app "flightready" just a word of caution, some of their questions are far more elaborate than the actual test.

Anthony,

Do you think the procedure/testing is overkill? I'm trying to justify why I would need to know all the information I am seeing in the AIM. If I am considering flying my H for video of houses for realestate? I would be staying under 100' and not really interfering with anything. Am I missing something? The weather and chart stuff seems so much more complex than what I would need to know. And this is coming from a peson who has his 100T Near Coastal CAPT License which in itself was a complex testing procedure. If I was to capt a smaller boat for hire, I wouldn't need all the extras that a 100T or higher requires.

Maybe I am missing something?

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Anthony,

Do you think the procedure/testing is overkill? I'm trying to justify why I would need to know all the information I am seeing in the AIM. If I am considering flying my H for video of houses for realestate? I would be staying under 100' and not really interfering with anything. Am I missing something? The weather and chart stuff seems so much more complex than what I would need to know. And this is coming from a peson who has his 100T Near Coastal CAPT License which in itself was a complex testing procedure. If I was to capt a smaller boat for hire, I wouldn't need all the extras that a 100T or higher requires.

Maybe I am missing something?

I do, but its for everyone's safety i assume. I wont be flying any higher than 60 feet and no more out than 30 yards - so there's so much on it I will never use , forget about trying to recap every two years as well..

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
I totally understand everyone's concern on some of the content being extreme...BUT once you are granted a certificate you are allowed to fly everywhere the 107 makes provisions for and using an aircraft that can weigh up to 55lbs...(not 55) and because you are legally allowed to you must know the safety rules that apply. Think about your auto license.... you don't get a dumbed down license just because you are going to only drive around town....see the point?

I still wish there was a basic flying skills test as well....but I've been flying helis since 1987 when gyros didn't even exist. I have a lot more respect for these crafts then many new pilots who just push these gps stabilized machines around. What happens when someone is flying in a neighborhood for real estate work and they have a GPS lockout? If they cant control the craft manually in all orientations there is a very good chance the flight will end in a crash. Where will it finally stop, the neighbor's swingset? the stroller going down the street. See even those easy, low altitude jobs can have catastrophic outcomes if the pilot isn't skilled. I know I've digressed, but this is all about safety and coexisting in the NAS.

please take this for what its worth....29 years of RC wisdom... not meant to poo poo on anyone's dreams or abilities.

Peace
Anthony

I totally understand everyone's concern on some of the content being extreme...BUT once you are granted a certificate you are allowed to fly everywhere the 107 makes provisions for and using an aircraft that can weigh up to 55lbs...(not 55) and because you are legally allowed to you must know the safety rules that apply. Think about your auto license.... you don't get a dumbed down license just because you are going to only drive around town....see the point?

I still wish there was a basic flying skills test as well....but I've been flying helis since 1987 when gyros didn't even exist. I have a lot more respect for these crafts then many new pilots who just push these gps stabilized machines around. What happens when someone is flying in a neighborhood for real estate work and they have a GPS lockout? If they cant control the craft manually in all orientations there is a very good chance the flight will end in a crash. Where will it finally stop, the neighbor's swingset? the stroller going down the street. See even those easy, low altitude jobs can have catastrophic outcomes if the pilot isn't skilled. I know I've digressed, but this is all about safety and coexisting in the NAS.

please take this for what its worth....29 years of RC wisdom... not meant to poo poo on anyone's dreams or abilities.

Peace
Anthony

Peace
Anthony

Not a flame response just my 2 cents LOL and thats about all its worth!
actually your drivers license is not complete, cant drive a motorcycle in some states ,cant drive a big truck, cant drive a boat etc but I don't need a captains license to drive a motor boat. The testing should be as you said at the end, all about SAFETY can you fly manually, can you pass a realistic UAV test, boom , prove it and you pass. But aeronautical charts will not help me pilot my drone manually :)

Reactions: Hunter_Michael
Not a flame response just my 2 cents LOL and thats about all its worth!
actually your drivers license is not complete, cant drive a motorcycle in some states ,cant drive a big truck, cant drive a boat etc but I don't need a captains license to drive a motor boat. The testing should be as you said at the end, all about SAFETY can you fly manually, can you pass a realistic UAV test, boom , prove it and you pass. But aeronautical charts will not help me pilot my drone manually :)

TOTALLY on the same page, it will send the less serious packing though... the charts are actually handy if you are near any small airports.
there were practice questions on the app asking how much fuel I could put in a 172 with a payload of XYZ and still safely fly......Shut the front door and slap my a$$ with the screen, I'm not flying a passenger aircraft....:confused:

I also get the different type of license...I just meant you can drive your car on side streets at 5mph but also on big congested multi-laned highways....all with the same license.;)

TOTALLY on the same page, it will send the less serious packing though... the charts are actually handy if you are near any small airports.
there were practice questions on the app asking how much fuel I could put in a 172 with a payload of XYZ and still safely fly......Shut the front door and slap my a$$ with the screen, I'm not flying a passenger aircraft....:confused:

I also get the different type of license...I just meant you can drive your car on side streets at 5mph but also on big congested multi-laned highways....all with the same license.;)

Yeah, I know your right in my brain, but I still think they should/could have come up with something so the hobbyist (within their rules) could video the Local motocross, baseball, football, rodeo etc. for money or not for money. I will never be able to pass that test. I find that not very fair -- but , wait, oh yeah its the federal gov, Im sorry what was I thinking.. :) Have a great holiday!

Brian, You can definitely pass the test....really not that hard. Just some of the stuff really doesn't apply to us... BTW the fuel question, NOT on the actual test.... if you grab that app and keep taking practice tests and studying the Q's you miss, you'll have no problem passing the knowledge test,

Brian, You can definitely pass the test....really not that hard. Just some of the stuff really doesn't apply to us... BTW the fuel question, NOT on the actual test.... if you grab that app and keep taking practice tests and studying the Q's you miss, you'll have no problem passing the knowledge test,

appreciate the pep, but I cannot understand much less memorize things my brain tells me I have no use for, same with Ham radio I tried 4 times for the xtra class, kept getting worse each time, there's so much stuff I don't care about and will never use. ( its a learning disability ) part of why I am on disability. if I could go to a class then yes I believe I could do it but I'm not paying 300 bucks for a class and then risk 150 just to fly a drone it makes no sense unless I am in the aerial video business which I am not, and I will never own a drone / Uav like those folks fly. Giant Monsters with a Nikon 5d on the bottom LOL Ps. what app? I have the remote Pilot Study guide printed out..

[QUOTE=" what app? I have the remote Pilot Study guide printed out..[/QUOTE]
FlightReady, I mentioned it in an earlier post here...

I took my test today. I have never been a pilot and I studied hard for it. I passed with an 83. I studied very hard and was getting 90 to 100 on all the sample tests. I took the course from remotepilot101.com and got a 100% on my first try at their sample final exam. I also had purchased the Dauntless android study app. I thought about half the questions were dealt with in all my study materials, but the other half were out of the blue but apparently I could reason through them enough to pass. 4 or 5 questions had to be total guesses as I had no clue what they were even talking about. I had one question about what document to consukt about taking medicine. I thought it was a bit rough but I could have gotten a harder batch of questions. They're randomly chosen from a pool of questions so some tests will be tougher than others. Now I'm gonna by a Typhoon H Pro. i'm a Realtor and want it for that business but didn't want one if I couldn't legally use it it business. So, I've waited to be legal before I bought a drone.

One of the posts in another forum indicated that 88% of those taking the part 107 test are passing. It is passable with a couple of weeks of study. While some of the topics might seem irrelevant for your UAS plans they are important for some UAS scenarios like folks flying fixed wing UAS or inspecting towers in areas close to airports. The focus of the test is safety and playing nice with those already using the airspace.

For resources you can do the free 107 class over at faasafety.gov - it covers the material someone who already has a pilot license needs to know to add UAS to their existing airmans cert and provides a sample of the types of questions you need to answer. Beyond that there are both paid and free resources for the other material (sectional chart reading, weather reports etc). I liked the Gold Seal class and the UAVCoach.com class (I was fortunate to get one for free after I had paid for the other so I used both as prep). RemotePilot101.com is another option - I've only seen a sample test from it, looked ok, other folks should be able to comment on the training side. There are free resources as well, google will find them for you easily enough.

Which question pack(s) would you recommend is most useful for what's covered on the drone test?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 28
Which question pack(s) would you recommend is most useful for what's covered on the drone test?
None of those you listed (they're for other tests). Look for one with Remote Pilot in the name. Prepware has an android/iphone app, but it's more for test practice/review than training.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just a heads up that my company is currently developing a study aide that will incorporate all the knowledge from the 116 page "Airman Knowledge Testing Supliment for Test Pilot, Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot and Private Pilot.". This is the book the test questions are derived from.

Links to the site, app and all will follow once I am an approved vendor in which to do so on this site.

Also has information gathered from various other sources pertinent to the UAS commercial and enthusiast pilot who is desiring to be properly certified to make money and also fly your fleet or single UAS.

It will be up to the user how much they want to delve in. There will be quick methods of just learning how to properly take the test and pass with the 70 percent or better requirement.

It also has deep study aides with videos and images taken from the places like the Apeendix of the above referenced guide.

Aside from the learning materials and practice tests, everything from the table of contents to actual terms in the resources will be linked so you will be able to easily bookmark your current location, save multiple bookmarks, jump to other areas temporarily, etc.

The type of studying you do will be left to you but it's almost done and will be available hopefully simultaneously for both iOS and Android platforms (depending on approval process) and eventually by website too.

Again, once we have become an approved vendor on Phantom Pilots (and here, same company as I'm sure you all know), I will share more and give links and offerings for a couple beta testers (no pun intended) but it's fairly basic.

There will also be a section to find training and test taking centers near you.

Thanks for reading. :)

Hello Ryan,

I sent a response to your IM via my iPhone, but it got kicked back... between the 107 and the study guide, your covered for a good 90% of the test. you will need to be able to easily read a sectional chart as well, and really study weather and effects of weights and loads on aircraft.

watch out for "grey area" questions. if you are asked if something is allowed and it requires a provision, stick to the straight rule unless the provision is listed as part of a possible answer choice....

Good Luck!
Anthony

FYI, I crammed for 2 weeks and the test took me 38 mins and I scored an 88 so it's totally doable, don't stress. You can even test yourself with an affordable app "flightready" just a word of caution, some of their questions are far more elaborate than the actual test.

I read where there was a list of items you can take with you to the test....a calculator, a ruler, etc. Did you take any items with you and were they useful?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval