Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Would you fly?

Reaction score
I'm supposed to fly a lake front property tomorrow morning at 11 am. UAV Forecast says this....see photo....would you do it?

IMG_3088.PNG

I'm supposed to fly a lake front property tomorrow morning at 11 am. UAV Forecast says this....see photo....would you do it?
It depends on the location, the wind direction, wind speed of gusts and the landing zone location. At that temperature I would warm the batteries in advance, keep the flight short and stay low if needed. I've flown in some fairly high wind and didn't have a problem, but I planned the landing location very carefully and picked out a low level corridor back to that spot if needed.

Last edited:
I’d have plenty of batteries. The wind and temp is going to cut battery time a lot. I would also do a short flight first thing just to verify solid control response and never get very far away with the bird. No Smart mode at all.

Although the H has been proven to be well capable of handling such wind speeds I have to say that those speeds are above my self imposed limit and the limit detailed in my commercial Operations Manual. So, with respect to the wind strengths only, I wouldn't fly. However, all the other data shown is well within my bounds for a flight at 11:00.

So, on just the wind, no, the rest yes. But that's just me. If you are willing to put the aircraft up in those winds and take all precautions as suggested above, then the flight is doable.

It depends on the surroundings and you experience and comfort level. If things go wrong they can go wrong real fast in those conditions and if your not comfortable with taking over the bird and flying it manually thenI wouldn't do it .

I met with the real estate agent. The winds ended up only being about 20mph. I told them I would fly and it was up to them. They chose to postpone the flight because of the blowing foliage and the rough water. The home is listed for 1.7 million and they want the lake to be flat like glass. There will be plenty of calm mornings ahead so I don't blame them for being patient.

Cool. Now you get to watch the location to determine when light and reflection off smooth water would make for a better video:)

I met with the real estate agent. The winds ended up only being about 20mph. I told them I would fly and it was up to them. They chose to postpone the flight because of the blowing foliage and the rough water. The home is listed for 1.7 million and they want the lake to be flat like glass. There will be plenty of calm mornings ahead so I don't blame them for being patient.
Curious as to where the home is located? What state? Is that California?

Cool. Now you get to watch the location to determine when light and reflection off smooth water would make for a better video:)
I arrived about thirty minutes before the realtor. Currently there is no occupants so I had time to find take off and landing areas and to plan some shots. I'm pretty familiar with the general area and I'm thinking a mid morning or sunset flight.

I use
Home is located on the east shore of Lake Almanor, CA (Its a secret place, so don't tell anybody)
I use this app aswell and if it shows me a red no then my drone does not go out I suppose it's different for the people that is using the drone to make a living

Depends a lot on your skill level and experience with the system being used. Most of the fly/no fly apps are very conservative and intended for the average or less than average user. Pretty much the same applies to manufacturer established wind limitations.

UAV Forecast allows you to set max-min thresholds for all conditions, so as you learn what you are comfortable with, you can adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Thomas111

View attachment 9606
Did just the other day with an orchard scene in Northern California. Winds 24mph gusts to 43mph. It was a wild one but got the shot.
The Typhoon H ... named appropriately! lol. Once up over the orchard it was brutal. The gimbal was shaking with the high gusts and bringing it down between the trees was a trip!

Never make the decision to fly simply because someone else says they would. As PIC, it is all on you if things go south. There will always be another opportunity to fly if you cancel the flight. As a airplane pilot I have a personal minimums list, both for VFR and IFR flight, which is different in the 2 airplanes I fly. The differences are based on aircraft capabilities. I would expect my minimums to be different from any other general aviation pilot I might meet at the airport on any given day - because they are personall minimums. Obviously the consequences can be much different when comparing manned aircraft to UAVs, but the principle is the same.

Never make the decision to fly simply because someone else says they would. As PIC, it is all on you if things go south. There will always be another opportunity to fly if you cancel the flight. As a airplane pilot I have a personal minimums list, both for VFR and IFR flight, which is different in the 2 airplanes I fly. The differences are based on aircraft capabilities. I would expect my minimums to be different from any other general aviation pilot I might meet at the airport on any given day - because they are personall minimums. Obviously the consequences can be much different when comparing manned aircraft to UAVs, but the principle is the same.
I have two UAVs detailed in my commercial Operations Manual (here in the U.K. a commercial UAV pilot must have a CAA approved Operations Manual that details all the UAVs that are operated under a PfCO). One is a Phantom 2 Vision Plus, and the other is my TH. An Operations Manual must specifically state (along with lots of other details) the maximums and minimums for each aircraft. For wind, then, my maximum self imposed wind speed for the P2V+ is just 12MPH while for the TH it is a princely 16MPH.

Since it is a legal requirement for a commercial UAV pilot in the U.K. to operate his aircraft in accordance with his O.M., then technically I would be breaking the law if I flew my TH on a commercial operation in a wind speed of 20MPH, say.

BTW, the O.M. is not binding for hobby flights. It is just a legal document that is associated with commercial operations.

Flush,

You might consider raising the wind limit for the H as it has no problems at all dealing with a 20mph - 25mph wind. From my perspective you have arbitrarily significantly limited your available flying windows.

Flush,

You might consider raising the wind limit for the H as it has no problems at all dealing with a 20mph - 25mph wind. From my perspective you have arbitrarily significantly limited your available flying windows.
I take your point PatR. Indeed I have been considering raising the limit to 20 MPH in my O.M. I can do that immediately and fly accordingly, but my O.M. with it's new wind limit will have to be approved by the CAA on my next renewal of my PfCO which is due in November.

Edit. This is just for the H. My P2V+ will need to stay at 12MPH. The P2V+ is no-where near as good as the H in strong winds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval