Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec cgo3 plus camera shakes, spins and no control

Reaction score
Hello all, brand new to the site and Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a typhoon h that is approximately 18 months old. Bought it brand new from Best Buy. Worked flawlessly until this season. The Drone itself is fine, it's the cg03 plus camera that is causing a problem. No updates, no crashes, no modifications. The camera just shakes and Spins violently with no control, although the video works perfectly fine. I've done the obvious stuff looking through wires looking for pulls on connectors, nothing seems obvious. Maybe someone on here had the same issue and corrected it. It would greatly be appreciated if someone can point me in the right direction.
Thank you,
Frank

Mostly, it sounds like a calibration error that will require help from a repair center.

But there is another possibility. There is a history of the spontaneous disintegration of the sensor magnets on these cameras. You can remove the covers from the rear arm and right arm, and look for problems with the very small ring magnets attached to the motor shaft. Uncontrolled spinning is sometimes associated with a problem with the roll motor (rear of camera). That does not sound intuitive, since it is the YAW motor doing all the spinning, but nonetheless, it's usually the roll motor sensor that has the actual issue.
Most times, the camera will sound a "beep code" to identify which sensor or sensors have a problem.
The picture below is an extreme example of the deterioration. Most times it will just be a few flakes of loose chrome and/or very weak magnetism.

bad magnet.jpg Another.jpg

Reactions: h-elsner
Mostly, it sounds like a calibration error that will require help from a repair center.

But there is another possibility. There is a history of the spontaneous disintegration of the sensor magnets on these cameras. You can remove the covers from the rear arm and right arm, and look for problems with the very small ring magnets attached to the motor shaft. Uncontrolled spinning is sometimes associated with a problem with the roll motor (rear of camera). That does not sound intuitive, since it is the YAW motor doing all the spinning, but nonetheless, it's usually the roll motor sensor that has the actual issue.
Most times, the camera will sound a "beep code" to identify which sensor or sensors have a problem.
The picture below is an extreme example of the deterioration. Most times it will just be a few flakes of loose chrome and/or very weak magnetism.

View attachment 25918
Thank you for the reply, it's just terrible how this could happen so soon to this piece of equipment. Especially how I take care of it and cautious I am when flying it. I will definitely check the items you listed. I just don't know if it's even worth sending out for repair or do I get a new camera. I'm going to do another continuity test tonight to see if I missed something. A lot of people keep saying this type of behavior is contributed to the wiring.
I also forgot to mention, the camera will not respond to up or down or pan control. It also goes limp after shaking for about 10 seconds, then completes the same Loop over and over.

Thank you for the reply, it's just terrible how this could happen so soon to this piece of equipment. Especially how I take care of it and cautious I am when flying it. I will definitely check the items you listed. I just don't know if it's even worth sending out for repair or do I get a new camera. I'm going to do another continuity test tonight to see if I missed something. A lot of people keep saying this type of behavior is contributed to the wiring.
I also forgot to mention, the camera will not respond to up or down or pan control. It also goes limp after shaking for about 10 seconds, then completes the same Loop over and over.

A lot of people keep saying this type of behavior is contributed to the wiring.
That's entirely possible for the symptoms, but sounds less likely for a camera that has not been in any traumatic events. It can also be firmware corruption, calibration data corruption, hardware failures or just plain gremlins in general. Analysis via text is not nearly as easy as having the camera in front of you on a work bench. We'll do the best we can.

...the camera will not respond to up or down or pan control.
If the camera is not initializing, there will be no response to control commands. There should be some beep codes sounding. The codes are a series of one to four "long" beeps, followed by one to four "short" beeps, then it repeats. Count the long beeps/short beeps. That will tell us something about the issue. Note there may be more than one code sounding. There is often an initial extended "screech" beep prior to the start of the actual codes.

It also goes limp after shaking for about 10 seconds, then completes the same Loop over and over.
That's the gimbal board trying to protect itself. Something is drawing way too much current. It's not a good idea to challenge the system any more than necessary.

If possible, a video of the behavior would be good. Be sure to turn off OBS, or it will drown out the beep codes. (We can't hear it, but an audio recording picks it up very well.)
You can't post a video directly to the forum. You have to post it to something like YouTube and post a link.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thank you for all the helpful responses. Here is a link to the camera doing its thing.
That is certainly doing a dance. But there is no audio. Are there any beep codes? Please understand this is an important question for diagnostic purposes.

Reactions: RDizzle
That is certainly doing a dance. But there is no audio. Are there any beep codes? Please understand this is an important question for diagnostic purposes.
Other than one quick beep every 20 seconds there are no other audible noises coming from the camera or drone

Reactions: RDizzle
Here is another video of the beep I am hearing. Other than this, I do not hear anything giving fault codes.
Yup. No error codes. And the steady flashing green LED on the gimbal board says the board thinks it is properly initialized. That almost rules out degraded encoder magnets, but still worth a quick look.

The board is initialized, but the pitch is straight down, and you have shake on both Yaw and Roll axis. The next thing to check is the continuity on the motors. Pull each of the three motor connectors off the gimbal board one at a time. Check continuity between the connector pins on the wire side. The pitch and roll should read about 11 ohms between any combination of pins. The Yaw should read a little more, about 15. The key is that the readings are the same for all three pins on each motor.

cgo3+ Gimbal Board Connections5.jpg

Yup. No error codes. And the steady flashing green LED on the gimbal board says the board thinks it is properly initialized. That almost rules out degraded encoder magnets, but still worth a quick look.

The board is initialized, but the pitch is straight down, and you have shake on both Yaw and Roll axis. The next thing to check is the continuity on the motors. Pull each of the three motor connectors off the gimbal board one at a time. Check continuity between the connector pins on the wire side. The pitch and roll should read about 11 on any combination of pins, the Yaw should read a little more, about 15. I think it's on the 2K scale of your multimeter, but you can try a couple positions. The key is that the readings are the same for all three pins on each motor.

View attachment 25922
Is this measured in mega or kilo ohms?

Those values look good.
Looks like the next step will be to contact a repair center to look at firmware, calibration and gimbal board issues. I would recommend John Mitchell at Yuneec CGO3-Plus Camera Repair Estimate Service.
Ok, thank you for all your help, I appreciate your time and efforts. I wish I could diagnose the problem, I love the troubleshooting end of it.
Thank you,
Frank

Hello all, brand new to the site and Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a typhoon h that is approximately 18 months old. Bought it brand new from Best Buy. Worked flawlessly until this season. The Drone itself is fine, it's the cg03 plus camera that is causing a problem. No updates, no crashes, no modifications. The camera just shakes and Spins violently with no control, although the video works perfectly fine. I've done the obvious stuff looking through wires looking for pulls on connectors, nothing seems obvious. Maybe someone on here had the same issue and corrected it. It would greatly be appreciated if someone can point me in the right direction.
Thank you,
Frank
ME, I ain`t recomending it, lol But my CGO2+ started bouncing Side to Side, I Glued the Turning Part with Rubber Gasket from a Tube, it gets firm, but not Hard, That stopped the Shaking Side To Side, I thought since the Bird can be Rotated Side to Side, I didn`t need that shaking side to side, The CGO2+ rotates Up & Down for filming, (as I said, THIS WAS ME, in Maintenance for 50 Plus years, I did a RIGGING on it, WORKS FINE lol)

Attachments

• Glued Gimble2.jpg
    Glued Gimble2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Glued Gimble.jpg
    Glued Gimble.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Glued CGO2+ gimble.jpg
    Glued CGO2+ gimble.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Gimble.JPG
    Gimble.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 8
I have one with two magnets that were shredded. I replaced both but the gimbal is now shaking and won't stabilize. Is there a certain way these magnets go on?
Kinda hit and miss. I have changed out a bunch that worked fine by just slapping on replacement magnets. And a couple I had to move things around until they worked.
Are you getting any beep codes?
Any "clicking" sounds?

Kinda hit and miss. I have changed out a bunch that worked fine by just slapping on replacement magnets. And a couple I had to move things around until they worked.
Are you getting any beep codes?
Any "clicking" sounds?
No beep codes. both axis are violently shaking. the magnets were so bad that they were dust. should I spin the magnets around and mark them on each turn?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal