Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec H520 Full Bumper Cage For Close Inspection Flights

Cutting 2mm carbon fibre with a 100w laser. With 300w you can cut 3mm which is usually the thickest in drones with ease.

carbon fiber sheet laser cutting

I think this guy is tricking everybody. I have found some videos of people with CO2 lasers trying to cut through carbon fiber and they could not. However if one has a fiber laser it may do the trick.

After I looked at this design where only flat pieces are used to build cages I may try to do a prototype of MDF for h520.

Dronewerx, LLC. Unveils New Prop Shielded UAS Design - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

But I will still need some printed plastic pieces for mounting them on arms and I will need to test cutting carbon fiber on my laser. If I cannot cut through it there is no point in trying to create a prototype as I guess nobody would want cages made of MDF.

Last edited:
I have no idea of the world of co2 laser cutting, but if I have read things about the gases it gives off, I do not know if the resin is the culprit. Be careful in case or investigate a little, let's not go to mess it up ;)

In that video they control the thrust of the aircraft and that's why they can put all the weight they want. In this case we are limited by the characteristics of the H520 and is not able to lift much weight. Even if it's fine MDF, I don't know if it's going to be worth putting 300 or 400 grams more. You will tell us :)

I have no idea of the world of co2 laser cutting, but if I have read things about the gases it gives off, I do not know if the resin is the culprit. Be careful in case or investigate a little, let's not go to mess it up
There are some materials that just hard to do with CO2 lasers. Even with 300W one there is a lot of problems with cutting thin metals. It needs to have assisted gas to pierce it which is usually oxygen or nitrogen.

I could do 2mm steel once with just a normal compressed air. However since my laser is not designed for cutting metals(a laser beam can be reflected back to a laser source and kill it) I do not want to do it anymore.

I am sure if I somehow can overcome this problem with reflection(even usually means that I need to have a new laser head) I can do carbon fibre with oxygen assisting. It just doesn't worth it as the head itself can cost about $500, plus another $200 for oxygen. It will be kind of expensive just to try to do one product.

In that video they control the thrust of the aircraft and that's why they can put all the weight they want. In this case we are limited by the characteristics of the H520 and is not able to lift much weight. Even if it's fine MDF, I don't know if it's going to be worth putting 300 or 400 grams more. You will tell us :)

I have never own carbon fibre sheets but I had some products with parts made of it. I am not really sure how heavy it is.

However when I pointed to that page I just thought that if mavic pro can fly with completelly enclosed cage on each prop which seems to be made of metal) yuneec should not have a problem to do it as long as it is build from lightweight material.

Is there any thin strong plastic that can be used instead of carbon fibre? Plastic if it is non flammable and non-toxic can be cut with a laser.

I have thought of this product(a cage) as totally built from 3D printable parts and I do not have a 3d printer. However with that dronewerx design I can see that the whole cage on each prop can be built from flat pieces cut by a laser. And I have two of them(100W and 300W)

So if anybody has good experience with designing in 3D and can supply eps file with all parts to build a cage we can do some inexpensive cages to cover each prop around similar to how it is done for dronewerx drone.

Reactions: arruntus

Attachments

• 20160830_201905.jpg
    20160830_201905.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
My design will be 'orderable' soon. It will be a full cage. Still need some test-time and video-upload chance.

Reactions: BigAl07
Did this ever make it to production? I can't seem to find it.

It has finished production now. It’s now just the packaging suppliers that’s holding things up.
I should know more by the 11th Jan as I am at the Yuneec UK tech site on that date and they are the people developing the cage.
As soon as I know more I will let you all know.

Reactions: digital_steve
Hello All,

Hereby the testflight of last friday of our version of 'the cage' ! I was very well pleased to see its result. With our version, it is not possible to retract the landing-gear, but for that, the underside is protected also. Very easy to attach and remove.
The movie can be seen here :

For those who are interested, mail me at [email protected]

Hello All,

Hereby the testflight of last friday of our version of 'the cage' ! I was very well pleased to see its result. With our version, it is not possible to retract the landing-gear, but for that, the underside is protected also. Very easy to attach and remove.

Well done. I'm glad to see you weren't afraid to hit it fairly hard against the wall.

Well done :)

Reactions: X-Fly
Hello All,

Nice Job X..Should do nicely. Looking at the assembly, it looks like it is possible to not attach the bottom lines? It looked like it was still pretty solid before attaching so that maybe a version that allowed retracts and better unobstructed view for the camera would be possible?

Reactions: X-Fly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss