Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The lens in my CGO3+ is misaligned (pics)

Check out this video by Bo Lorentzen where he and a camera enthusiast hack a TH CGO3.

They make the point that even at the best focus the CGO3 lens is plastic and not very sharp. They swap it out for a glass Sony lens I believe. See how the factory lens is glued to a manually focused position.

Of course this voids your warranty on the camera.

You say "Of course this voids your warranty on the camera". Are you sure its not the whole H and only the camera? Thanks just wondering.

Last edited:
You say "Of course this voids your warranty on the camera". Are you sure its not the whole H and only the camera? Thanks just wondering.
I view this as only the camera has been breached. You could get another camera, eventually. If you had a problem with the hexacopter vs just the camera, do you need to send the camera back as well.
Frankly I'm not sure how Yuneec would view this limited access to the TH inner components.
Someone must have tried some access or hack with earlier Yuneec quads, I wonder how the factory viewed the tinkering?

I view this as only the camera has been breached. You could get another camera, eventually. If you had a problem with the hexacopter vs just the camera, do you need to send the camera back as well.
Frankly I'm not sure how Yuneec would view this limited access to the TH inner components.
Someone must have tried some access or hack with earlier Yuneec quads, I wonder how the factory viewed the tinkering?

My camera is okay just at times I look at some of my images and wished it had more detail and then some of the others look just fine. But looking at the Peau lens - its just a tad better from what I can see from the video but its better than what I have I think. Its also real glass and apparently handles a higher resolution than the current plastic lens. So its really difficult to say if its really worth the upgrade. Because I have been accustomed to having really good lenses in my photography past - I feel I will still want more quality after the upgrade to the Peau lens. But maybe I am wrong because I am not sure. I wished there was a way to attach my current Full Frame DSLR with my Zeiss 21 ZE to it and go flying...LOL...but thats just a dream...LOL :rolleyes:

I think it's time to measure! For those of you with a caliper, that don't mind taking the cover off, should measure the distance from the top of the Lens (the black plastic) down to the first visible ring near the base. Thats all shroud but should be a sufficient indicator. I'm getting 13.25mm (see pic) and mine is out of focus

Attachments

• IMG_3252.JPG
    IMG_3252.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
My camera is okay just at times I look at some of my images and wished it had more detail and then some of the others look just fine.
Just curious. How does your experience so far with the CGO3+ stack up to this 4K snapshot taken from a Phantom 4? I saw a video comparison between the Peau glass lens and what I assume was a functioning CGO3+ and the tight showed significant improvement. What are your thoughts relative to the CGO3+ vs PHANTOM camPhantom4.jpg ?

My camera is okay just at times I look at some of my images and wished it had more detail and then some of the others look just fine. But looking at the Peau lens - its just a tad better from what I can see from the video but its better than what I have I think. Its also real glass and apparently handles a higher resolution than the current plastic lens. So its really difficult to say if its really worth the upgrade. Because I have been accustomed to having really good lenses in my photography past - I feel I will still want more quality after the upgrade to the Peau lens. But maybe I am wrong because I am not sure. I wished there was a way to attach my current Full Frame DSLR with my Zeiss 21 ZE to it and go flying...LOL...but thats just a dream...LOL :rolleyes:

I may have to go that route eventually. I'm returning my camera to Yuneec for a replacement of a new one. If the replacement is still not up to par I may have to just change the lens myself.

I think it's time to measure! For those of you with a caliper, that don't mind taking the cover off, should measure the distance from the top of the Lens (the black plastic) down to the first visible ring near the base. Thats all shroud but should be a sufficient indicator. I'm getting 13.25mm (see pic) and mine is out of focus
Too bad it is glued in place. It would be a nice feature to be able to manually adjust it oneself for the ultimate perfection.

Reactions: ChrisP
Thanks for taking a look. IMO they are unacceptable and not what I have seen in others. I spoke with Yuneec and ask how they wanted the pic to be taken, so I'll see what the say. I've tried cleaning them up but they look nothing like my GoPro.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I've been away, work has been insane. Yes, your shots were not good. And there is a difference between sharpness, clarity, and focus. There is NO excuse for being out of focus. Sharpness is to be expected, it is what it is. Look at my CGO3. Its fantastic. (for what it is)

Just got caught up on this thread. I've decided I'm not giving up my H, if the camera comes back the same, I'll be tearing it apart. I'm going to look into refocusing, or lens replacement. Can you even get the camera alone yet? How much is it?
I've still not heard a peep. My Q500 4k has to go back tomorrow, so I'll be camera-less. I'm almost afraid to give up my copy of the CGO3.

Reactions: ChrisP
Just curious. How does your experience so far with the CGO3+ stack up to this 4K snapshot taken from a Phantom 4? I saw a video comparison between the Peau glass lens and what I assume was a functioning CGO3+ and the tight showed significant improvement. What are your thoughts relative to the CGO3+ vs PHANTOM camView attachment 1370 ?

Hard to say from just that photo - would like more to view to judge better. But what I can say is I have a couple of friends who have the DJI 3 and one other has the 4. I have peered over their shoulders when they playback some footage from the drones and show their snapshots - - all I can say is i'm impressed. There are trade offs for all these drones - just like buying a Canon over a Nikon or a Sony etc etc....all these darn trade offs that go into play. Sometimes its really so hard to decide and you just hope for the best. I think the H should have had a better lens installed (glass preferably) but its probably a cost benefit analysis/prediction over a 20 year span determined by some conglomerate suit monkey who decided to use a plastic lens for the economic benefit and stock prediction of the company.:confused: I don't know, I like the 6 propellers and the ST16 but at a cost of a lesser quality lens? I wish the lens wasn't the factor that got hit.

Just got caught up on this thread. I've decided I'm not giving up my H, if the camera comes back the same, I'll be tearing it apart. I'm going to look into refocusing, or lens replacement. Can you even get the camera alone yet? How much is it?
I've still not heard a peep. My Q500 4k has to go back tomorrow, so I'll be camera-less. I'm almost afraid to give up my copy of the CGO3.
I shipped my camera off to Yuneec today. Out of a total of 36 days of owning a Typhoon H, I've had it for a total of 6 days. The remainder of the time it has been in the shop (either at Yuneec or in transit to or from Yuneec). I think some people would give up on the Typhoon H at this point, but I'm sticking with it for the time being.

Hard to say from just that photo - would like more to view to judge better. But what I can say is I have a couple of friends who have the DJI 3 and one other has the 4. I have peered over their shoulders when they playback some footage from the drones and show their snapshots - - all I can say is i'm impressed. There are trade offs for all these drones - just like buying a Canon over a Nikon or a Sony etc etc....all these darn trade offs that go into play. Sometimes its really so hard to decide and you just hope for the best. I think the H should have had a better lens installed (glass preferably) but its probably a cost benefit analysis/prediction over a 20 year span determined by some conglomerate suit monkey who decided to use a plastic lens for the economic benefit and stock prediction of the company.:confused: I don't know, I like the 6 propellers and the ST16 but at a cost of a lesser quality lens? I wish the lens wasn't the factor that got hit.

I agree with you. I've been flying Phantoms for two years and have just come to expect what video or photos should look like. I expected the quality to be the same on the Typhoon H since it is pretty much the same Sony sensor as in the Phantom 3. The lens on the Typhoon H is only part of the issue. The other issue is the firmware controlling exposure. It just seems to have a difficult time finding the correct exposure as the scenes change, and what is worse, you can actually see it changing exposure and count the number of times it increases or decreases. This, I'm sure, can be fixed by software so I have my fingers crossed for a future software/firmware upgrade that addresses this.

I agree with you. I've been flying Phantoms for two years and have just come to expect what video or photos should look like. I expected the quality to be the same on the Typhoon H since it is pretty much the same Sony sensor as in the Phantom 3. The lens on the Typhoon H is only part of the issue. The other issue is the firmware controlling exposure. It just seems to have a difficult time finding the correct exposure as the scenes change, and what is worse, you can actually see it changing exposure and count the number of times it increases or decreases. This, I'm sure, can be fixed by software so I have my fingers crossed for a future software/firmware upgrade that addresses this.
Does anyone know by now which sensor model and processor in the H?

Does anyone know by now which sensor model and processor in the H?
Word on the street is that it is the newest upgraded version of the: Sony IMX177 sensor with an Ambarella S2 processor

It definitely is a Sony Sensor as many have reported. But the model could be in question since Yuneec does not list it in their specs.

Word on the street is that it is the newest upgraded version of the: Sony IMX177 sensor with an Ambarella S2 processor

It definitely is a Sony Sensor as many have reported. But the model could be in question since Yuneec does not list it in their specs.
I did see one photo someone posted, unlike the sony IMX177 this one had no sony markings on it, it actually had Yuneec printed on the board.
The Go-Pro 4 Black is using an IMX177 and an A9 processor - this is already old tech, newer Chinese action cam's are being offered with an IMX 377 sensor and A9SE processor .
If the CG03+ has a security cam processor in it (the A2 chip) I would not be surprised as they have optioned to use a plastic lens not glass. In building a flying camera they seem to have made a great set of wings but not so much can be said about the camera.
I'm interested to see what camera is made of to see how possible it will be to get someone to do micro surgery and install an IMX377 chip and an A9SE processor.
If all else fails, in the mean time assuming nobody from Yuneec will pick up on the subject in this thread Yuneec Camera Design Team I will see about getting my hands on a GO-pro gimbal for the G and using this camera with a narrow lens YI on the H.

Last edited:
Just got my CGO3+ back finally. Now it wont sync with the ST16. Sigh. Total copter and gimbal control, but NO camera / WiFi connection.. I'll call support here shortly, but does anyone have any thought here? Is there some additional procedure necessary to syn with a new camera?

Oh, and Yuneec failed to send the camera cover back with the camera, so now I have no protection for the camera. Sigh

Just got my CGO3+ back finally. Now it wont sync with the ST16. Sigh. Total copter and gimbal control, but NO camera / WiFi connection.. I'll call support here shortly, but does anyone have any thought here? Is there some additional procedure necessary to syn with a new camera?

Oh, and Yuneec failed to send the camera cover back with the camera, so now I have no protection for the camera. Sigh
Have you used the "Bind" button?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elysiabrown