Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

1.5.10 firmware now live!!!!!

Response from Yuneec UK regarding manuals for POI/ROI

Unfortunately at this time there are no manuals for the POI/ROI, if anything becomes available we will announce on our website and social media.

I made several flights today. The zoom works well and the zoom effect is present in the recorded video on the ST16S.
The Orbit ROI works very well, like Kev Waite described; aileron stick to control direction and speed, elevator to contract and expand the circle, throttle to control the height. Does a perfectly smooth circle while pointing at the subject as far as I can tell. :D The operator controls the camera pitch and settings.
Once flying, I couldn't get the camera to record a waypoint ROI, so landed and started video while on the ground. The camera points towards the ROI while flying through the waypoints, but didn't seem as accurate as Orbit ROI, as the video direction was more of a region than a fixed point. Perhaps flying more slowly might allow better camera tracking. Again the operator controls the camera pitch and settings. There is the option to control the camera pitch and yaw in the menu, but I left these blank. Maybe camera yaw can be controlled manually. Something to try next time. I had set up a 2 ROI flight, but it didn't pan to the second ROI and did not accept switching from video to photo while flying through the waypoints.
I had recorded 6 video clips and there are 6 in the ST16S, but only 2 were recorded on the card in the E90.
A survey was also flown and all the photos for that are present. The camera did not change my preferred settings for the survey and I'm very pleased with that.
Now, if the H520 had curved cable cam and trim switch cruise control, I might consider selling my Typhoon H!:) Not really!

Orbit POI flight track image from Tuna's UAV Toolbox telemetry facility.
Toolbox POI Capture.JPG

Last edited:
That's how 3DR did ROI. Otherwise it makes no sense to call it a region, in my opinion. POI would be fine.
742831044_780x439.jpg

DronCalzone, my friend, you're cheating :p That mission you show in the capture is called ROI?

ROI or POI, as I commented above, is simply telling the camera where it has to point. The point or region you have to aim for (it's the same). Ardupilot, older than the DJI software, decided to call it ROI. DJI decided (same thinking as you) call it POI. But in the end it's the same. It's a certain moment the camera is only able to be in one orientation.

Colloquially it has been called ROI or POI to the circular mission with the camera oriented towards the center of the circle that forms the trajectory of the aircraft. But it is a type of mission. Circular mission, some call it ROI or POI, but it's a mission.

In the image you have put is a facade mission (Each software developer of this type will call it what they like best, this type of missions very few software are capable of doing), is a mission of vertical type and not horizontal that is to which we are all accustomed.

I am glad that you bring up the subject of vertical missions, so I approve to ask them again. Ladies and gentlemen of Yuneec, can you please implement vertical missions? :)

Arrantus that's good idea but first QGC/DroneCode team must implement that.

They certainly have a lot of work ahead of them before they get there, but hopefully they will. In case someone hasn't seen it, we have a thread for suggestions where we can translate the ideas we have about the functionalides that our H520 should have. Take a look, every idea is good :D

Ask what you want to see with the 520

Has anyone discovered how to use other new feature of this update?

I have also tried the A version but getting the same problem the E90 continues to flash red after the update and doesn't connect

Hi seehigher that’s happened to my E90 too, but i got the solution... behind the camera there’s a small door: open it and you got to push one of 2 buttons for ‘bout 20 sec.this will reset the camera. After 90 sec the lightshould returns to flash green,..,, i includes a drowning... hope this gonna help u mate...

Hi seehigher that’s happened to my E90 too, but i got the solution... behind the camera there’s a small door: open it and you got to push one of 2 buttons for ‘bout 20 sec.this will reset the camera. After 90 sec the lightshould returns to flash green,..,, i includes a drowning... hope this gonna help u mate...

On Sunday, in all the tests I have done, I also reset the camera without final positive results. I was able to connect but then it stopped working.

I also managed to install the firmware correctly but after an undetermined period it stops working. I hope not, have you been able to fly with it? How many times have you turned on the drone after updating it correctly?

I just did it again and it connects. I'm going to do a lot of tests now, I'll tell you if it fails again.

Last edited:
I'm going to put all the new functions of this update and how to use them, as we go finding them and discovering how they work.
  • Support for return to controller
    Under options, Safety tab, Return Home Settings section. You can set it to return to the takeoff point or to go to the ST16S or GCS (Ground Control Station) position.
  • E90 digital zoom up to 8x
    In an area without controls, where we see the image of the camera of the E90 in the ST16S, pinch two fingers on the screen.
  • Support for terrain following
    When we create a mission we can make the H520 follow the terrain, a very useful function. We only have to activate the option Vehicle follows terrain. You can set the security altitude range and the maximum ascent and descent speed. Very good function. Thank you very much Yuneec, well done :D:D:D:D:D (Enabling this option disables the possibility of making a cross grid).
  • Support for concave polygon missions
  • Yaw stick deadzone and exponential curve
  • Brake at waypoint in mission if stop is required
  • Vehicle can stuck in a waypoint during mission
  • Fixed altitude lock during mission
  • POI/ROI support
    Region of Interest (ROI) allows the user to set a point of interest, for which the camera will stay focused. We establish the ROI and the height at which it is found. We can establish the height with respect to the Home, AMSL or AGL. This way of setting the height also applies to Waypoints making them now 3D Waypoints.
  • Orbit flight
    Take off, open the map view, tap on the map where you want your POI. A pop up opens asking if you want to fly to that point or orbit that point. A circle appears that you can change the size of and you can reposition the POI. When your happy you have to swipe the screen to confirm and the h520 flies to the edge of the circle and starts the POI. You can change speed and direction using the Aileron stick and decrease the size of the circle using the elevator stick. You cannot increase the size of the circle beyond the size you created on the map. You have to edit that on the map page. Once the POI has started you can go to the normal camera view page and also adjust camera angle.
I've noticed that satellite reception has improved. In the same position as always and when before I did not receive enough signal, now I receive signal from time to time and it remains stable at times. I don't know if it's because of the time of year, it will be a matter of observing it more times.

It has happened to me 2 times, changing the configuration of the camera, the parameters of photo and video, the application has crashed. DataPilot is restarted and re-establishes the connection with the H520.

When we add a new set of offline maps, another one is created with the surname "Elevation". I think it's a way to save the elevations that are going to be used with the terrain following function separately.

I don't know if it has changed in this version, but when you lose communication with the H520 or simply turn it off, the ST16S doesn't connect to the wifi data network you usually connect to. Previously it did it automatically. If we look more closely, the two wifi networks, the data and the E90 are set to Disable, which forces you to deactivate the wifi and re-activate it so it can connect to the data again.

When we create missions we can make them round or polygonal. We have added the option to eliminate vertices in the contextual menu. We can also load missions previously created in KML or SHaPe files.

Creating missions, on the Center button we have more options. We can focus the view on the mission we are creating, on all the elements we have created, on the home page, on the H520, on the current position of the ST16S or on a specific location for which we will have to set the coordinates.

Creating missions, in the button Plan we can save Waypoints routes as KML. We have also added the button to delete the mission stored in the H520.

When we modify a mission, two options have been added that will greatly reduce the creation time. Now to choose the point of entry and exit of the mission we have a button that rotates by all the external points, much faster and visual that to select it in a drop-down list. Also, and this I liked very much because I insisted on asking for its complementation, is that now to determine the orientation or angle of the Trancests, can be done with a slider. This will save a lot of time in determining the correct orientation and thus save mission time. Thank you very much Yuneec, well done :D:D:D:D

Morning's entertaining, but this isn't over. Still more things to discover. I've crossed out the options that I have not yet discovered or need to pay more attention to. Any contribution about them will be welcome.

If you see that I have put something wrong, please comment.

When I have some time, I will add everything to the first post.

After resetting the E90 again with the latest firmware, I've already restarted the H520 about 10 times and it still seems to work properly.

Last edited:
I'm going to put all the new functions of this update and how to use them, as we go finding them and discovering how they work.

It has happened to me 2 times, changing the configuration of the camera, the parameters of photo and video, the application has crashed. DataPilot is restarted and re-establishes the connection with the H520.

Datapilot crashing when changing camera modes is a big issue, it happens on all 3 of my ST16s and during the crash control is lost and the H520 enters RTH mode

There is a difference in Orbit and ROI, in the description above this is Orbit only the ROI function in DataPilotMission is completely different

the explanation of the two were together, I've already separated them if that's any clearer.

Reactions: SeeHigher
I have taken the decision to revert back to earlier firmware.
As a professional pfco pilot I have deemed 1.5 not only inconvenient with all the disconnections, tilted horizons and every other issue but when in front of a client does not install confidence and in my opinion it is dangerous. I have therefore removed it and will not be updating until this gets resolved. It’s like going all the way back to 1.1.19 which was dangerous. A full report has been emailed to Yuneec.

Reactions: ;-)
Oh I hope I wouldn't have never even heard about the latest updates and things would be as they were, not even close to perfect but still better than current status.

I have taken the decision to revert back to earlier firmware.
As a professional pfco pilot I have deemed 1.5 not only inconvenient with all the disconnections, tilted horizons and every other issue but when in front of a client does not install confidence and in my opinion it is dangerous. I have therefore removed it and will not be updating until this gets resolved. It’s like going all the way back to 1.1.19 which was dangerous. A full report has been emailed to Yuneec.

Can you explain to us all the problems you've encountered?

Is there an officially src place for FW downloads for doing restore / revert back to earlier firmware? i understand, that we must save each FW Version by self - if YUNNEC released public.
is there perhabs a src place that we can list in history and FW log what was futured, fixed and still here? was a "history" thread started here in the forum perhabs?
txs

PS: since few online versions i save moretimes public YUNEEC FW src to have a possible way to roll back.

You have in this forum a colleague who has collected them all and this in "Drive" seems to me to remember.

I kept looking lightly and I realized that the problem of the E90 to remember the parameters we determined continues to fail. Be careful every time you start the E90, review the configuration because there are possibilities that is not the same as the last time.

Another thing that has been curious to me, that regardless of the recording format you choose, records videos in MKV all the time regardless of the configuration?

Glad to hear you finally got that E90 working!
  • Support for return to controller
    Under options, Safety tab, Return Home Settings section. You can set it to return to the takeoff point or to go to the ST16S or GCS (Ground Control Station) position.
  • E90 digital zoom up to 8x
    In an area without controls, where we see the image of the camera of the E90 in the ST16S, pinch two fingers on the screen.
  • Support for terrain following
    When we create a mission we can make the H520 follow the terrain, a very useful function. We only have to activate the option Vehicle follows terrain. You can set the security altitude range and the maximum ascent and descent speed. Very good function. Thank you very much Yuneec, well done :D:D:D:D:D (Enabling this option disables the possibility of making a cross grid).
  • Support for concave polygon missions
  • Yaw stick deadzone and exponential curve
  • Brake at waypoint in mission if stop is required
  • Vehicle can stuck in a waypoint during mission
  • Fixed altitude lock during mission
  • POI/ROI support
    Region of Interest (ROI) allows the user to set a point of interest, for which the camera will stay focused. We establish the ROI and the height at which it is found. We can establish the height with respect to the Home, AMSL or AGL. This way of setting the height also applies to Waypoints making them now 3D Waypoints.
  • Orbit flight
    Take off, open the map view, tap on the map where you want your POI. A pop up opens asking if you want to fly to that point or orbit that point. A circle appears that you can change the size of and you can reposition the POI. When your happy you have to swipe the screen to confirm and the h520 flies to the edge of the circle and starts the POI. You can change speed and direction using the Aileron stick and decrease the size of the circle using the elevator stick. You cannot increase the size of the circle beyond the size you created on the map. You have to edit that on the map page. Once the POI has started you can go to the normal camera view page and also adjust camera angle.
I've noticed that satellite reception has improved. In the same position as always and when before I did not receive enough signal, now I receive signal from time to time and it remains stable at times. I don't know if it's because of the time of year, it will be a matter of observing it more times.

When we add a new set of offline maps, another one is created with the surname "Elevation". I think it's a way to save the elevations that are going to be used with the terrain following function separately.

I don't know if it has changed in this version, but when you lose communication with the H520 or simply turn it off, the ST16S doesn't connect to the wifi data network you usually connect to. Previously it did it automatically. If we look more closely, the two wifi networks, the data and the E90 are set to Disable, which forces you to deactivate the wifi and re-activate it so it can connect to the data again.

When we create missions we can make them round or polygonal. We have added the option to eliminate vertices in the contextual menu. We can also load missions previously created in KML or SHaPe files.

Creating missions, on the Center button we have more options. We can focus the view on the mission we are creating, on all the elements we have created, on the home page, on the H520, on the current position of the ST16S or on a specific location for which we will have to set the coordinates.

Creating missions, in the button Plan we can save Waypoints routes as KML. We have also added the button to delete the mission stored in the H520.

When we modify a mission, two options have been added that will greatly reduce the creation time. Now to choose the point of entry and exit of the mission we have a button that rotates by all the external points, much faster and visual that to select it in a drop-down list. Also, and this I liked very much because I insisted on asking for its complementation, is that now to determine the orientation or angle of the Trancests, can be done with a slider. This will save a lot of time in determining the correct orientation and thus save mission time. Thank you very much Yuneec, well done :D:D:D:D

Morning's entertaining, but this isn't over. Still more things to discover. I've crossed out the options that I have not yet discovered or need to pay more attention to. Any contribution about them will be welcome.

If you see that I have put something wrong, please comment.

When I have some time, I will add everything to the first post.

After resetting the E90 again with the latest firmware, I've already restarted the H520 about 10 times and it still seems to work properly.

Glad to hear you finally got that E90 working!

Thank you, I do not understand, the process had already done on Sunday and without results. Now it seems to be working, but well, we have to give it more time. In the meantime, if the rest of the teammates who have problems do it and it also works correctly for them, that's all it's worth :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterfantastic