Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

1.5.10 firmware now live!!!!!

Arruntus , "1.5.10 firmware now live!!!!!"........... You should never have opened the post...:)

Someday I'll eat my words, but for now they make it easy for me to lose weight. I was very happy with everything announced, in all CES videos said that this update was going to revolutionize the sector, eeeeee ???? (time for an emoticon from these new ones, thank you admin :p)

I keep saying that they are basic functions that all drones have, the happy thing is that at last the h520 was going to have them, but for now it has not been like that either ???

On Friday I spent 4 batteries. If you don't want to keep reading I'll sum it up, a total disaster, a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately I can't say anything else.

I'm going little by little and I think there are so many things that I'll forget some.
  • The parameters of the camera of 4 times, it only remember them 1 time.
  • I once lost coverage less than 20 meters away.
  • The application was restarted twice, in mid-flight and another one loading a route.
  • Try the Orbital function. In flight press the screen and allow me to define the center and radius of the circumference. Things to keep in mind. Start this type of mission at the height of the drone at that moment. But the problem is that it now performs either the mission transfer or the RTL at full speed. It can't go any faster, which almost costs me to lose the drone. When you activate the RTL function descends at full speed also, does it in a too abrupt way, but not the last stretch, the automatic maneuvers, due to go at full speed, movements are very abrupt and force engines, battery and propellers without need, apart, to spend more battery without need.
  • We have been told that the Orbit function has not yet been completed. I can vouch for that. Half of the trajectory is done by moving a little laterally and then turning, a little laterally and then turning to aim at all times at the center. It doesn't really make a movement of translation and rotation at the same time. In addition, it does so with an excessively slow speed. After checking the images I also see numerous small jumps in the image which makes the shot unusable.
  • 80% of the time you have to take a picture for the ST16S to show the image of the camera.
  • Try a route with ROI points. The camera points to where it has to point but the movements are very sharp. I did the route with the default speed and bad results. I repeated the same route again at 2 m/s, the results much better but the same when it makes the transition from one ROI to another, it does it very abruptly. It is necessary to control the movements of the gimbal much more smoothly, that the transition is smooth even if it is slower, something that has been asked for since the first day. He also makes corrections to where he has to look.
  • The zoom is a function that you can like or not, but if you want to use it, not to lose too much quality you can not exceed 4x. In the same way, the transition of the increases is to blows, to jumps. It would be better to use a slider to select the particular zoom, and then do it smoothly, even if it means losing magnifications.
  • The return to controller function works in principle as it should, except you can't select it in flight or before using it. You have to do this before taking off. .
The function terrain following I could not prove it, it is pending for the next trip.

P.D.: I forgot to tell you, the last video was not saved correctly.
I flew 4 batteries today on the latest firmware. I had the camera forgetting the settings issue but no camera or DataPilot disconnects. The camera not storing settings has been an issue since the E90 was introduced and is irritating, as is the delay in settings being updated on the ST16S screen and the camera display being updated to the latest settings.
Survey speed was as set (3m/s), but the H520 seems to take a long time in the turn arounds. Had the option to remove the plan, leave the plan or continue from waypoint appear at landing.:) Nadir and oblique survey photos were sharp and all present, as were the video clips. Flight behaviour in angle mode was good and I am happy with the RTH return and descent speeds. Orbit POI worked well. Waypoint ROI didn't work properly and I didn't have time to try again.
I agree that a slider control for the zoom would be an improvement.

Last edited:
I wonder if a camera with mechanical shutter would work better than a rolling shutter for shooting pictures in while flying on orbit mode. did 4 battery flights on 2-24-19. h520 was stable. However the location I was relying on was flooded out and not usable for the 16 flights that I wanted to do. I did not get the datapilot shutdown when I shut down the h520 to change the battery. I did not have any disconnects in mid flight. The e90 fully came up all four flights with out issue.

I wonder if a camera with mechanical shutter would work better than a rolling shutter for shooting pictures in while flying on orbit mode. did 4 battery flights on 2-24-19. h520 was stable. However the location I was relying on was flooded out and not usable for the 16 flights that I wanted to do. I did not get the datapilot shutdown when I shut down the h520 to change the battery. I did not have any disconnects in mid flight. The e90 fully came up all four flights with out issue.
Glad to see your H520 is behaving well. So, why are some of us having difficulties? Is it corrupted firmware?
I think the rolling shutter/mechanical shutter topic is a red herring. Rolling shutter cameras are capable of giving excellent results and there are disadvantages to mechanicals such as weight, wear and vibration.

I am reserving my final judgement on the firmware until minimum 2 sets of 16 full completed flights in one full day or 2 days that are back to back. For me good results would be stable flight. no datapilot exits to android screen. no e90 disconnects. no gps outages on the st16s controller. 4 orbits flights.4 basic circle surveys.4 basic square surveys. 8 waypoints types 4 freestyle 4 hovering at 399ft agl. Weather conditions in sw Missouri now are hindering me from doing just that. Although I had 4 flights that looked good at the moment. They were basic type test of hover, side to side, forward and backward. I do not have a site suitable that is open to me for testing orbit, and basic surveys. Looks like I am going to have to wait until I get back to nw Ohio and wait for a weekend that is above 45F with no rain.

Hello Graham. How is the orbit going? Is it done gently or jerkily?
I only tried Orbit POI briefly yesterday, but as with the previous firmware, it was smooth.
I had forgotten the H520 didn't save the videos from my first orbit flight, but have a short clip from the most recent. The slight vibration at the beginning is caused by pilot input.

Last edited:
Official video explaining the orbital flight function.

In principle everything was correct, but in my case, I only did 2 tests, I did not see the slider to set the height. Someone who has tested it, does the height control appear?

On Friday I spent 4 batteries. If you don't want to keep reading I'll sum it up, a total disaster, a lot of things I didn't like. Unfortunately I can't say anything else.

I'm going little by little and I think there are so many things that I'll forget some.
  • The parameters of the camera of 4 times, it only remember them 1 time.
  • I once lost coverage less than 20 meters away.
  • The application was restarted twice, in mid-flight and another one loading a route.
  • Try the Orbital function. In flight press the screen and allow me to define the center and radius of the circumference. Things to keep in mind. Start this type of mission at the height of the drone at that moment. But the problem is that it now performs either the mission transfer or the RTL at full speed. It can't go any faster, which almost costs me to lose the drone. When you activate the RTL function descends at full speed also, does it in a too abrupt way, but not the last stretch, the automatic maneuvers, due to go at full speed, movements are very abrupt and force engines, battery and propellers without need, apart, to spend more battery without need.
  • We have been told that the Orbit function has not yet been completed. I can vouch for that. Half of the trajectory is done by moving a little laterally and then turning, a little laterally and then turning to aim at all times at the center. It doesn't really make a movement of translation and rotation at the same time. In addition, it does so with an excessively slow speed. After checking the images I also see numerous small jumps in the image which makes the shot unusable.
  • 80% of the time you have to take a picture for the ST16S to show the image of the camera.
  • Try a route with ROI points. The camera points to where it has to point but the movements are very sharp. I did the route with the default speed and bad results. I repeated the same route again at 2 m/s, the results much better but the same when it makes the transition from one ROI to another, it does it very abruptly. It is necessary to control the movements of the gimbal much more smoothly, that the transition is smooth even if it is slower, something that has been asked for since the first day. He also makes corrections to where he has to look.
  • The zoom is a function that you can like or not, but if you want to use it, not to lose too much quality you can not exceed 4x. In the same way, the transition of the increases is to blows, to jumps. It would be better to use a slider to select the particular zoom, and then do it smoothly, even if it means losing magnifications.
  • The return to controller function works in principle as it should, except you can't select it in flight or before using it. You have to do this before taking off. .
The function terrain following I could not prove it, it is pending for the next trip.

P.D.: I forgot to tell you, the last video was not saved correctly.

Arruntus I have to disagree with the return to controller function comment.

I have successfully changed from RTL to RTC in mid flight and tested maybe 3 times and you can select in flight where it goes, controller or take off.

Arruntus I have to disagree with the return to controller function comment.

I have successfully changed from RTL to RTC in mid flight and tested maybe 3 times and you can select in flight where it goes, controller or take off.

ok thx, I'll try again. However, the way to change it to do it in mid-flight is a little bad, many pulsations to get it.

Hi arruntus,

I also tested the Orbit Function and it worked exactly as it should. You can vary Radius, Velocity and Direction (Clockwise or Counterclockwise) with the sticks during Flight. You can control the height via the Slider on the right side or with the left Stick.

With all the difficulties you have with the Update, maybe it is a good idea to do a full reset with the ST16s (?)

After having several problems my self, a full reset of the ST16s did it - maybe there is a hickup in the ST16s - Machines are also humans only smile

Greetings Marc

Reactions: arruntus
Hi again,

I have a little Tip for all ... but on your own risk.
Last Time I flew my H520, I got the impression there was a time he was standing more stable in the air ... I got the impression even with no wind he was a bit nervous. So I calibrated the accelerometer again, without any improvement.
During the calibration process I realized the gimbal was shaking like drunken ... normal, cause the gimbal is vibrating in all his axes. I thougt, If the gimbal is shaking causing vibrations, that can't be good for a high quality calibration. So i fetched my transportation clamp for the gimbal and locked the gimbal in position (can't do more harm to the gimbal as the wild shaking with hitting the end positions). Doing so, I was able to calibrate the accelerometer without vibrations of the gimbal.
After a test fly, I got the impression, that the H520 is more stable ... not so nervous.

Maybe that's only an Impression. It is some kind of logic to achieve better results Calibrating the accelerometer without a wildly shaking camera, causing interfering vibrations.

Greetings Marc

Reactions: MrMotley
Hi arruntus,

I also tested the Orbit Function and it worked exactly as it should. You can vary Radius, Velocity and Direction (Clockwise or Counterclockwise) with the sticks during Flight. You can control the height via the Slider on the right side or with the left Stick.

With all the difficulties you have with the Update, maybe it is a good idea to do a full reset with the ST16s (?)

After having several problems my self, a full reset of the ST16s did it - maybe there is a hickup in the ST16s - Machines are also humans only smile

Greetings Marc

Thanks mate, for what I see in the video and for what you tell me I probably did a very bad test with this function. I was half sick and the temperature was very low, I could have missed the details. What I do remember is that I pressed the stick to one side and did not increase the speed, or so I think. And the vertical slide control, the one that controls the height, I don't remember having seen it, in fact the H520 almost crashed into a monticulum that is what I was recording. A disaster, I will repeat the test and tell you.

What is certain is that the video came out as I told you, moves a little laterally and then corrects. I have to try well because the video that Kev publish had much more quality than what I got. I checked that everything is correctly updated. Time to try again. Thanks for the tip ?

New functions... Interesting. Guess it is easier to bring new features than modify aready existing ones so that they work properly.

Hi all,

DataPilot 1.6 is still not available, but at least there is a Manual :):(

Greetings Marc

Attachments

• H520_Manual-1.6 addon.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Graham

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member