Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A solution for some GPS acquisition troubles

showing 2.65V disconnected, reconnect & power up showing 2.7V.
That should be good enough to power the module. Is the H sitting outside with a full view on the sky?
If so, and it still says Acquiring, then you may have a defective Flight Controller.
How long have you had this problem?

Haven't used the Typhoon for over a year now so problem has only just surfaced. Yes had Typhoon outside with clear view in all directions.
You think this is controller problem not GPS module?

Haven't used the Typhoon for over a year now so problem has only just surfaced. Yes had Typhoon outside with clear view in all directions.
You think this is controller problem not GPS module?
It's hard to say at this point. Even if stored that long it should have acquired a fix after the battery on the GPS was charged for +/- 30 min. The Flight Controller on the main board in the H can be damaged from exposure to heat. Storing it in the trunk of a hot car is often the cause.

You can try to reset the GPS with this method (I know it sounds weird):
Remove the camera and place the H in the refrigerator for about 40 min. Remove it and allow warm to room temp. Then take it outside (no camera) and try it again. It's best to use a fully charged battery.

Also, if you remove the top shell, make certain the wire bundle to the GPS module is twisted when you re-install the top.

Reactions: Mike Irish
It's hard to say at this point. Even if stored that long it should have acquired a fix after the battery on the GPS was charged for +/- 30 min. The Flight Controller on the main board in the H can be damaged from exposure to heat. Storing it in the trunk of a hot car is often the cause.

Remove the camera and place the H in the refrigerator for about 40 min. Remove it and allow warm to room temp. Then take it outside (no camera) and try it again. It's best to use a fully charged battery.

Also, if you remove the top shell, make certain the wire bundle to the GPS module is twisted when you re-install the top.

Well, I know it's not April Fools day so, I'll bite. I'm having this same GPS acquiring issue. Interestingly, I had left my TH in my truck overnight for an early morning flight. I'm in San Diego so it don't get that cold overnight (maybe 50-55F). Next early morning was in low 60's but it took forever for the st16 to boot up, then the gps started acting up, I had 15 sats on bird and 9 or 10 on st16. I had a good acquisition and sat count the day before.

What's your rational for this freaky method Steve?

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_152303.jpg
    IMG_20200525_152303.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • Haha
Reactions: howfastyes
Well, I know it's not April Fools day so, I'll bite. I'm having this same GPS acquiring issue. Interestingly, I had left my TH in my truck overnight for an early morning flight. I'm in San Diego so it don't get that cold overnight (maybe 50-55F). Next early morning was in low 60's but it took forever for the st16 to boot up, then the gps started acting up, I had 15 sats on bird and 9 or 10 on st16. I had a good acquisition and sat count the day before.

There's Corona in the fridge!

Reactions: Thomas111
I don't have an explanation for the method if you are asking about the refrigeration. That method was used by Yuneec to reset the GPS.

Regarding occasional GPS lock problems, they do occur for seemingly no reason. The controller and the H don't seem to mind lower temps. However, the batteries don't like cold temps at all. Cold batteries will affect operation.

The cool down method I only know from pressure sensor calibration. This was a standard procedure for the Blade 350QX. It had a CSC command for that.
My theory is: Many sensors have a build-in temperatur sensor to do proper temperature compensation. The calibration for this is best if it runs through a wide temperature intervall. Maybe this is not only valid for pressure sensor but for other sensors too.
The GPS chip itself has no temperatur sensor. On the other hand, beeing ready is not only a GPS fix but also all other sensors deliver correct values and baro is set to relative altitude zero.

br HE

Does sound a little weird but does have a certain logic to it.
My H is now residing in bottom of my fridge alongside margarine & yoghurt... :eek: Found that removing both landing legs made it much easier to fit it in. ?

No joy; left H out in open for almost an hour but still waiting for the "acquire", occasionally it will come up with "ready" but a few seconds later "GPS Lost" buzzer goes off.
Moving forward? Replace controller and/or GPS board? Spares seem to be in short supply and mostly in US; send it off to Yuneec UK? Are they still operating? Buy another H and use this one for spares, at least should keep me flying for a few years.
Crying shame as the H is pretty unique amongst hobby drones having the retracts & 360 degree camera view, but reading other topics on here not sure what Yuneec's support is going to be in the future. :confused:

Buy another H and use this one for spares
That is what I have done. Actually I've bought a few crashed models and use them for parts.
It's a toss up on the GPS vs Flight Controller. My past experience votes for the FC.

That is what I have done. Actually I've bought a few crashed models and use them for parts.
It's a toss up on the GPS vs Flight Controller. My past experience votes for the FC.
Malvern in Worcestershire, only about 30 miles from me

Thanks for the link will be watching it.
Is the rectangular board the FC and does it just pull off? Is replacing the FC a plug n play, rebind & recalibrate obviously?

Thanks for the above link, looks straightforward to replace, however I see that a new FC is around £400! Found s/h ones around £90 but sold as seen no returns. Is the FC issue a hardware problem or software glitch, is there any way to do a reset? Stick it in the fridge overnight... ?

Thanks for the above link, looks straightforward to replace, however I see that a new FC is around £400! Found s/h ones around £90 but sold as seen no returns. Is the FC issue a hardware problem or software glitch, is there any way to do a reset? Stick it in the fridge overnight... ?
I have had zero luck in trying to find a fix for a bad FC. It seems that once they are heat damaged there is no method of repair. I have reinstalled the firmware on at least a dozen and none were repaired.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I'm having the same problem - all of the symptoms that were described above - are all present - "acquiring" short term lock - won't land - hovers 5m up in the air - all very disconcerting. I'd hate to start tearing into the H and trying to solder anything, much less a battery in a "delicate" board....I've had this thing on for almost 7 hours and even in my house it acquires 11 sats - but no "lock"....next stop - the freezer.....

I'd hate to start tearing into the H and trying to solder anything,
If you have to change the flight controller there is no soldering required. There are 10 screws that hold the top shell in place. The video above shows how to remove the Flight Controller.

Quick update on my position; I did contact Yuneec UK about this and received a prompt reply:

"Hi Paul,

Thank you kindly for your E-mail. From the message below we believe your Flight controller or GPS module may require replacing, if you are located in the UK you are welcome to send this into us for diagnosis to confirm which one may need to be replaced. A rough estimate for repair would be £120 inc return postage but we can confirm this upon checking the machine. If you wish to go ahead for us to look into this and you are located in the UK, the address is listed below. Please include a covering letter confirming your contact details and information on the return.

Kind regards

Graham Eldridge

Customer Services
"

They seem confident to be able to fix it at a modest cost, however in my case I have taken what may seem to be an extravagent solution in that I have just purchased a BNIB Typhoon H setup, has actually arrived this morning.
Briefly, I purchased my H secondhand but " New & Unused" in August 2018, unfortunately a few days after a family member committed suicide so the H was largely forgotten for several months. When I did get around to sorting it the first thing I discovered was that of the 4 battery packs it came with, 2 were U/S, individual cell voltages were as low as 1V. I've had numerous minor niggles with it plus some erratic flight behaviour, which I initially put down to my inexperience, but now with this GPS problem I've realised that it is probably a lemon and only safe thing to do is to use it for spares.

Quick update on my position; I did contact Yuneec UK about this and received a prompt reply:

"Hi Paul,

Thank you kindly for your E-mail. From the message below we believe your Flight controller or GPS module may require replacing, if you are located in the UK you are welcome to send this into us for diagnosis to confirm which one may need to be replaced. A rough estimate for repair would be £120 inc return postage but we can confirm this upon checking the machine. If you wish to go ahead for us to look into this and you are located in the UK, the address is listed below. Please include a covering letter confirming your contact details and information on the return.

Kind regards

Graham Eldridge

Customer Services
"

They seem confident to be able to fix it at a modest cost, however in my case I have taken what may seem to be an extravagent solution in that I have just purchased a BNIB Typhoon H setup, has actually arrived this morning.
Briefly, I purchased my H secondhand but " New & Unused" in August 2018, unfortunately a few days after a family member committed suicide so the H was largely forgotten for several months. When I did get around to sorting it the first thing I discovered was that of the 4 battery packs it came with, 2 were U/S, individual cell voltages were as low as 1V. I've had numerous minor niggles with it plus some erratic flight behaviour, which I initially put down to my inexperience, but now with this GPS problem I've realised that it is probably a lemon and only safe thing to do is to use it for spares.
You can buy a new GPS unit separate or complete with top shell, if that's all that's wrong, it's to have a spare copter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie