Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

After upgrading my ST16 do I need to do a firmware upgrade?

The cards are identical. I am not sure about the wiring. @Steve Carr or @WTFDproject may know about that.

The one in the aircraft is covered with heatshrink for two reasons. One is to help secure the antenna connections, and the other is so the double sided tape doesn’t contact the actual circuit board.

@Seachange01 I haven't inspected the wiring but it would likely be the same. You can just compare the solder points on the board with the wire color and where those wires end on the white connector.
I just replaced an RF card inside a Q500 with one from an H Plus and it works perfectly. Even the wiring connections were the same even though the wire colors were different. No mods needed.

Regarding the ipex antenna connections, place a small amount of glue or silicone around the joint to hold it in place. Most of those connections were glued by Yuneec but not all.

Reactions: Seachange01
@Seachange01 I haven't inspected the wiring but it would likely be the same. You can just compare the solder points on the board with the wire color and where those wires end on the white connector.
I just replaced an RF card inside a Q500 with one from an H Plus and it works perfectly. Even the wiring connections were the same even though the wire colors were different. No mods needed.

Regarding the ipex antenna connections, place a small amount of glue or silicone around the joint to hold it in place. Most of those connections were glued by Yuneec but not all.

OK
Thanks for the info,
I can drop a dollop from a hot glue gun on it, or would a cold based glue be better?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hot glue gets too hard when it sets. You are better off with a silicone based adhesive.

Hot glue gets too hard when it sets. You are better off with a silicone based adhesive.
Glue repair taken care of (Silicon based electronics glue), all put together again, then it rains for the rest of the day.
Working for the next 3 nights, so maybe a short flight before the weekend, otherwise Sunday.
I'll post an update once I have one :)

A couple of test flights. Everything seemed to go well overall.
The last couple of flights were 1 this morning and 1 yesterday afternoon. I am guessing by the dates on the video files of the video I recorded that my clock will need to be adjusted. I'm getting ready to head off to work, so that will be a project to do there tonight, but for anyone looking at the flight log data, last 2 flights were 2 different locations and a day apart.
Seems to be going well overall, I felt like I hit the limit as far as range today even with the 4 hawks, it was 3400 odd feet from memory, the weather was overcast and a little foggy - so maybe that had a reason to play as well.
The video feed did freeze up a little towards the end, but It felt good to not need to hit RTH.

I felt like I had a definite range and feed reliability improvement from earlier, not sure if it's up to where it should be (I will let you guys be the judge of that), but without doubt, definite improvement.
If it makes a difference, the video was on the whole flight for both flights. ,Also, for both flights I had the 4hawks antenna being used.
Thanks again,
Alan

Attachments

• FlightLogsunday.zip
    15 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Good improvement this time. You are on the right path. If you start having issues again, I think the best course of action would be to replace the Zigbee in the ST16.

Flight 00096:
Path 00096.jpg

00096ElevHisto.png

Flight00096.png

Flight 00097:

Path 00097.jpg

00097ElevHisto.png

Flight00097.png
You are out to 800 meters before switching to redundancy and there are spots where the RC is showing through at 1000 meters. This is much better in comparison to dropping to redundancy at 200 to 400 meters. Your system is in a much better place now.

Good improvement this time. You are on the right path. If you start having issues again, I think the best course of action would be to replace the Zigbee in the ST16.

Flight 00096:
View attachment 25126

View attachment 25122

View attachment 25124

Flight 00097:

View attachment 25127

View attachment 25123

View attachment 25125
You are out to 800 meters before switching to redundancy and there are spots where the RC is showing through at 1000 meters. This is much better in comparison to dropping to redundancy at 200 to 400 meters. Your system is in a much better place now.
Thanks so much for that. I am so glad its a lot better.
Should I be expecting more than that with he 4hawks system though? Or are most people who are flying those kind of distances having their system carry them through by dropping over to the redundancy system?
Thanks for all the info above.
Alan

The next time I fly I will take mine out to see what the fsk_rssi looks like at that distance. It will have to be a different area than where I flew the last time. I need to see where I start swapping to the redundancy with the Itelite antenna.

It will have to be at the Polo Grounds so I’m not crossing active roads.

Well the Polo Grounds had a match going this afternoon so a change of plans had to be made. The good news is that I had a good test flight with the Itelite antenna. This was a straight out and back flight yawing the aircraft 180 degrees at the point I was about to lose sight of it. Here is the Telemetry to compare with my previous range test as well as your telemetry. I had very little drop to redundancy until I made the turn and headed back to my takeoff area. It is a real treat to not lose video feed and with the Tray for my ST16 the Itelite antenna is only a slight bother weight wise compared to the standard antennas.
Kit with Itelite Elev histo.png

Kit with Itelite 3800.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval